AMD is preparing the RX 590 for a mid-November release

Greg S

Rumor mill: AMD's Radeon RX 590 might be launched as soon as November 15th. A smaller 12nm process could result in higher clock speeds but an unchanged architecture means only minor performance benefits.

AMD has been awfully quiet in the graphics department since Nvidia's debut of the 20-series. If money were no object, most gamers would probably point to the RTX 2080 Ti as the preferred card for now. However, the more affordable range of cards is more of a toss up.

Over on the red team, the RX 580 presents a formidable challenge to the GTX 1060 especially given its now lower price point. Rumors are pointing to the release of a $300 RX 590 built on a 12nm process. It will have the same Polaris architecture, but a die shrink could help boost clock speeds and have greater overclocking potential.

Leaked Time Spy benchmarks show 8GB of VRAM and a core clock of 1,545 MHz. For reference, an RX 580 can typically score around 4,800 while the RX 590 shown here scores 5,028. A slight improvement is demonstrated, but this is nothing to be awestruck over.

Knowing that Nvidia is pushing out a GTX 1060 with GDDR5X memory, AMD is in for some real competition in the mid-range segment. Even though Nvidia might just be working through a surplus of GPUs before moving on to the RTX 2060, it could be a close call on which card is a better value. Until both cards are readily available, I will refrain from speculating which one might be the better buy.

If rumors turn out to be true, there is little time to wait before AMD unveils the RX 590. November 15th could be the day that AMD pulls out the new model.

Permalink to story.

It's a refresh, not really needed. Two and a half years after RX480 this is rather underwhelming. It's the exact same thing with higher clocks. 15 percent faster or so. Performance uplift in the mid range for all this time has been pathetic.

We desperately need 7nm to move forwards here and mainstream performance to be creeping towards GTX1080. It looks like at least another 6 months away.

It's a refresh, not really needed. Two and a half years after RX480 this is rather underwhelming. It's the exact same thing with higher clocks. 15 percent faster or so. Performance uplift in the mid range for all this time has been pathetic.

We desperately need 7nm to move forwards here and mainstream performance to be creeping towards GTX1080. It looks like at least another 6 months away.
If they can fill the gap between mainstream and high end card then I see no problem with releasing a 590 (as long as the cards offer good perf/$).

If the leaks are accurate it's an RX580 with about 5 percent more performance. There is no gap this fills that RX580 and GTX1060 aren't filling. It's a refresh and nothing else.
Let's wait for the benchmarks. Some games might respond better to the higher clocks than others. We also need to learn more about its memory speed.

Give AMD a break, dude. They're competing against the largest CPU and GPU makers at the same time.

You cannot expect them to push out refreshes as often as Intel and Nvidia.

Ryzen, Threadripper, and Eypc all caused Intel to wake up. Now give them time to take on Nvidia again.

If they can fill the gap between mainstream and high end card then I see no problem with releasing a 590 (as long as the cards offer good perf/$).

If the leaks are accurate it's an RX580 with about 5 percent more performance. There is no gap this fills that RX580 and GTX1060 aren't filling. It's a refresh and nothing else.
Word is these clock 300 mhz higher than 580. With the IPC increase and higher clocks this is around 1070 and vega 56 territory.

Give AMD a break, dude. They're competing against the largest CPU and GPU makers at the same time.

You cannot expect them to push out refreshes as often as Intel and Nvidia.

Ryzen, Threadripper, and Eypc all caused Intel to wake up. Now give them time to take on Nvidia again.
Specially after they lost Rajaj to work for Intel, AMD is pushing the Mid-ground because that will be inside the next generation of "4k Consoles" and there is where AMD gets the money to survive.

No, not really. A refresh (at least from AMD) looks like this:
-- R9 270/270X: let's keep the same GCN 1st-gen chip (same # of shaders, ROUs, & TMUs, & even keep the same codenam) from the HD 7850/7870 cards, but slightly increase the clock speeds, & offer slightly more VRAM;
-- R9 280/280X: do the same thing with the HD 7950/7970 (except eliminate the 6GB VRAM models);
-- R9 370/370X: do it yet again, only this time rebrand the R9 270/270X, & allow a 4GB model to be sold as the 370;
-- R9 380: rebrand the R9 285, but also include a larger 4GB VRAM model
-- R9 390/390X: also rebrand the (fairly) newer 2nd-gen R9 290/290X, but eliminate the smaller 4GB VRAM option
-- RX 560: technically only applies to the later (October 2017) models, but basically rebrand the RX 460
-- RX 570/580: rebrand the 470/480

That would be a rebrand or a refresh, because in every instance they used the same exact chip (same TMUs, ROUs, shaders, transistor count, same foundry process, even same GCN generation), just fiddled slightly with the clock speeds, VRAM amounts & VRAM speeds.

In this case...even if it turns out to have the same processor numbers as the 580, it'll be a die shrink, so it won't be the same chip renamed & reused from existing stocks. It'll be a brand-new chip...just like Ivy Bridge was a brand-new chip compared to Sandy Bridge, just like Broadwell as a brand-new one compared to Haswell, just like Kaby Lake was brand-new compared to Skylake, etc.

Word is these clock 300 mhz higher than 580. With the IPC increase and higher clocks this is around 1070 and vega 56 territory.
considering im looking to get rid of nvidia and their REQUIRED telemetry (if u want to use shadowplay) this is a little bit of good news for me. I was eyeballing a vega 56 or 64 regardless but the throttling of the hbm2 under higher temps steers me away as my pc doesn't have epic cooling. if it performs on par with a vega 56 or 1070 then it'd technically be a worthwhile upgrade over my garbage gtx 980 founders edition.

considering im looking to get rid of nvidia and their REQUIRED telemetry (if u want to use shadowplay) this is a little bit of good news for me. I was eyeballing a vega 56 or 64 regardless but the throttling of the hbm2 under higher temps steers me away as my pc doesn't have epic cooling. if it performs on par with a vega 56 or 1070 then it'd technically be a worthwhile upgrade over my garbage gtx 980 founders edition.
HMB2 doesn't really throttle and you can always undervolt the GPU and reduce temps a lot while keeping the same performance (or better in some cases)

edit: corected a mistake

Last edited:
HMB2 doesn't really throttle and you can always underclock the GPU and reduce temps a lot while keeping the same performance (or better in some cases)
heheh tell that to my trash founders edition gtx 980 (I know it doesnt use hbm2 I just wanna talk about cooling and underclocking a sec) that hits 79c with 100% fan speed @ 50% gpu usage. I can underclock the core and ram by 500 mhz and be around 68c. pretty trash cooling system right? thanks nvidia. idk if its even worth buying one of those artc 3rd party coolers in hopes of keeping this card alive. I hate this card. 50% gpu usage and its hotter than hell itself. give me a break. you should see the throttling that happens @ 100% gpu usage. nvidia should be paying me for the experience im having

I could take the cooler off and re apply the thermal paste, but whats that gonna net me? 5 celcius or so? not worth it at those already insanely high temps to me. card just needs to die probably.

heheh tell that to my trash founders edition gtx 980 (I know it doesnt use hbm2 I just wanna talk about cooling and underclocking a sec) that hits 79c with 100% fan speed @ 50% gpu usage. I can underclock the core and ram by 500 mhz and be around 68c. pretty trash cooling system right? thanks nvidia. idk if its even worth buying one of those artc 3rd party coolers in hopes of keeping this card alive. I hate this card. 50% gpu usage and its hotter than hell itself. give me a break. you should see the throttling that happens @ 100% gpu usage. nvidia should be paying me for the experience im having

I could take the cooler off and re apply the thermal paste, but whats that gonna net me? 5 celcius or so? not worth it at those already insanely high temps to me. card just needs to die probably.
sorry, I think I was drunk or very tired when I wrote that. I didn't mean underclock but undervolt (although udnerclocking works too :D).

Back