AMD may be prepping new AM4 processors with 3D V-Cache

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: When AMD's Lisa Su said "AM4 is a great platform that will continue for many years to come," no one expected new processors to be released for it. One year later, the company launched a new CPU for the seven-year-old socket, and it looks like two more are on the horizon.

AMD may not be completely done with the AM4 platform, even as many of its engineers have been hard at work on the Ryzen 8000 series CPU family for the AM5 socket, RDNA 3.5 GPUs, Threadripper 7000 series CPUs for workstations, possibly even Arm-based CPUs for the consumer PC market.

According to well-known leaker @chi11eddog, Team Red could be preparing not one, but two new Ryzen 5000 series processors featuring 3D V-Cache tech. The unannounced CPUs will reportedly be called the Ryzen 7 5700X3D and the Ryzen 5 5500X3D, and their specs seem to follow the same formula as the Ryzen 5 5600X3D that was launched earlier this year.

Since the leak comes from the same person who broke the news about the Ryzen 5600X3D, there's a good chance that more AM4 CPUs are on the horizon. Both new CPUs are said to feature 96 megabytes of L3 Cache, which would suggest that AMD has manufactured a lot of Ryzen 5800X3D silicon that doesn't clock as high as the official spec and/or has one or two defective cores.

The 8-core model will supposedly have a base clock speed of 3 GHz and a boost clock of 4.1 GHz, which are a fair bit lower than the 3.4 GHz base and 4.6 GHz boost clock speeds of the regular Ryzen 5700X. As for the Ryzen 5 5500X3D, it will supposedly feature the same base clock speed as the Ryzen 5700X3D and a boost clock of 4 GHz. For reference, the regular Ryzen 5500 features a base clock of 3.6 GHz and can boost up to 4.2 GHz.

Also read: Why Ryzen Was Amazing and the Haters Were All Wrong

Just like the Ryzen 5 5600X3D, the new parts could provide an upgrade path for gamers stuck with Ryzen 1000 or 2000 series CPUs, as well as a way to build a budget system for people who can't afford to go the AM5 route. After all, both the Ryzen 5800X3D and the Ryzen 5600X3D have proven quite capable of running modern AAA titles, including CPU-limited ones like Hogwarts Legacy.

That said, one potential issue that could dampen enthusiasm around new AM4 CPUs is availability. If the Ryzen 5 5600X3D launch is any indication, the new CPUs will likely be limited-run deals that you can only pick up if you live near one of 25 (soon to be 28) Microcenter stores in the US. We can only hope that AMD will think about making these CPUs available to more gamers around the world if the company ever goes ahead with launching them.

In related news, AMD has managed to gain CPU market share in recent months, fueled by strong sales of its Ryzen 7000 and 4th-gen EPYC processors. In turn, this helped the company improve its financial outlook despite lower-than-expected sales of its Radeon GPUs.

Permalink to story.

Still plenty of 500 series chipsets out there. Even if these don't exist, I still see the 5800x3d floating around $230 in some places and even saw an "OEM" 5700x without the coolee for $149. I'd take a chance on that aging platform for that kind of money. Unless you need to game at over 200FPS or PCIe5 NVME storage, there is very little reason to upgrade. I still have two 1800x systems running and they're 5 years old. I wouldn't want to game on them but they were cheap when they came out. 5800x3D was the fastest gaming CPU when it came out, I'm sure the 5000x3d series will age much better than zen 1 did with the 1000 and 2000 series of CPUs. Heck, even the 3000 series didn't age well, it was just cheap for its time.

I'd have no problem buying a 5000x3d series CPU and expecting 5 years of high end gaming out of it. I wouldn't pair it with a 4090, but it don't think it'd have any problem maxing mid ranged graphics cards for the next 5 years. And, if you're on this kind of budget, you aren't spending 4090 money anyway.

If that 5500X3D is actually based off of the R5 5500, then it's going to have to be really cheap (~$130 max) to even be worth considering, since those chips are stuck with PCI-e 3.0, and that might actually be a problem if someone wants to use one in a budget system with a low-end card that only has 8 physical lane connectivity.

If that 5500X3D is actually based off of the R5 5500, then it's going to have to be really cheap (~$130 max) to even be worth considering, since those chips are stuck with PCI-e 3.0, and that might actually be a problem if someone wants to use one in a budget system with a low-end card that only has 8 physical lane connectivity.
That seems like a dumb idea seeing as how X3D nomenclature is aimed at gaming. I have a feeling these are just chips that can't clock as high stably. It would be a tremendous waste of money for AMD to do such a thing but AMD isn't immune from making stupid choices. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but my money is just that these are chips that can't be binned as high and AMD is trying to recoup some money rather than it be a total loss.

The 5500x3D if real and at a good price, would be the most AM4 cpu ever sold, mark my words :p

Just imagine how much e-waste this 3D stacking produce since they come up with more than one SKU for defective chips.

Probably not, since R5 5500 is basically a 5600G without graphics, not using chiplets, I don't see why AMD would waste time trying to add V-cache chiplets to an old APU. Plus it has only 16MB L3, adding 64MB is still 80MB, not 96MB.

I think 5600X3D is the last CPU in Ryzen 5000 series, it is from those 5800X3D with 1 or 2 cores disabled and is limited to Microcenter, so AMD probably don't have that much suitable chips.

The whole 5500X3D and 5700X3D thing just doesn't make sense to me, especially when AMD is lauching Zen 5 in 2024Q2.

Probably not, since R5 5500 is basically a 5600G without graphics, not using chiplets, I don't see why AMD would waste time trying to add V-cache chiplets to an old APU. Plus it has only 16MB L3, adding 64MB is still 80MB, not 96MB.

I think 5600X3D is the last CPU in Ryzen 5000 series, it is from those 5800X3D with 1 or 2 cores disabled and is limited to Microcenter, so AMD probably don't have that much suitable chips.

The whole 5500X3D and 5700X3D thing just doesn't make sense to me, especially when AMD is lauching Zen 5 in 2024Q2.
It doesnt make sense to me either. A year ago maybe, but it's been so long with so many sales on the 5800x3d that I cant imagine there's a large market vying for a slightly cheaper model that will be priced higher then 5800x3d sales. Especially with the 7800x3d already out, there's targeting AM4 users whom:

1 want to invest in AM4 further even though it is EOL
2 want a X3d chip
3 Never bought a 5800x3d on sale, or a 5600x3d on sale
4 Still wont buy either chip and want something at a cheaper price

That is a niche of a niche. I'd much rather see AMD push out some sub $200 am5 CPUs already.

If true, it's nice to see AMD considering X3D variants for lower end chips. It would be nice to see this same treatment on AM5 though a 7600X3D and maybe even a 7500F3D that's actually available to purchase DIY. The 7500F3D would be massively popular at ~$219.

I think it's a great idea because it shouldn't cannibalize Ryzen 7000 series sales and instead opens up the lower end market for additional revenue growth. The Ryzen 7000 series is very much midrange to upper range from a pricing standpoint, even a 7600X is a $230 on Amazon, mix that with DDR5 memory and a pricey motherboard, and you're already approaching total build cost for budget minded builders.

AM5, let's hope you get the same longevity and treatment that AM4 got. AM4, consider yourself GOAT'd at this point.

I think AMD's thinking is, that is people are still buying outdated LGA1700 CPU's, they can spin up a few outdated AM4 CPU's....

For all those who do not want to buy an AM5 mobo...

I just upgraded my new 5700g to a used 5950x for the same cost (about $320 each). I am ecstatic! The idea that in one generation you could have CPUs scoring anywhere from 16,000 to 45,000 on cpubenchmark is just amazing, without scorching its motherboard. You can get an awesome 2-PCIe3/4 SSD slotted M550M MSI mobo for only $110 - And I bought an $80 (new) Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard that runs anything from a 1500x to a 5950x which is an exact 5x performance improvement - remarkable! In our house we have a 1700x, 3600x, and 5700g that shift between computers ... Not since the PDP-11 and IBM-360 days have we seen one architecture producing a 5x improvement! it's no wonder AMD is crushing Intel ...

Last edited:
Not really, just like the article says, its based on the 5800X3D chiplets which includes support for PCI-E 4.0 as far as its the X570 or B550 chipsets. They aren't based on harvested APUs which are the ones limited to PCI-E 3.0. Even today PCI-E 3.0 can't bottleneck an RX 7900XTX.

Built a buddy of mine a $200 Steam machine with a 2200G, 1660S, and 16 GB a couple months ago between hand me down parts and ebay shopping as a concept machine to see if it would work for him and his family couch gaming.

They've really taken to it, and its nice to know I can take that AM4 machine all the way to a 5800x3D (and substantially nicer GPU) if he was ever unhappy with the performance and still double or triple his framerates without having to build from scratch.

Back