AMD next-gen Radeon 'Hawaii' graphics cards expected in October

Shawn Knight

Staff member

report amd hawaii amd graphics cards hawaii

AMD is reportedly preparing to mass ship their next generation high-end GPU codenamed Hawaii in October according to sources in the upstream supply chain as reported by DigiTimes. When you consider AMD is flying a number of journalists to Hawaii (no coincidence there) late next month for a “technical showcase,” this rumor quickly becomes much more credible.

A hard launch coming a couple of weeks after this technical showcases makes sense as it would give journalists and reviewers plenty of time to thoroughly test hardware. That’s been the pattern for both AMD and Nvidia in the past but then again, the source doesn’t mention when specifically in October cards would ship. It could be October 1 or October 31 and if it’s the latter, that means availability could be scarce through November. Either way, however, parts should be available in time for the holiday buying season.

Specifically, DigiTimes believes Asus, MSI and PowerColor will be among the first to ship Hawaii-based products. The company is already cutting prices for its Radeon HD 7000 series cards including the HD 7990.

Word dropped earlier this month that AMD would unveil Hawaii-based GPUs in the Aloha State on September 25. Not much else is known about the event or what the Hawaii GPU has in store other than it is expected to compete against Nvidia’s top-end offering in the $600 price range. A leaked benchmark showed the card could be faster than Nvidia’s GTX Titan, at least in 3DMark 11.

Permalink to story.

Just in time for BF4. I'm kinda hoping my 7870 won't be enough for it (medium detail).
Lol I have an ATI 5730. How do you think I feel xD. I was able to play BF3 at 40fps on medium. I am hoping to play BF4 on low. I am waiting for the beta to decide whether I can run it.

Quad xfire is gonna cause you problems man. Triple is the most stable xfire nowadays.

>_< that's what I run currently. Ill probably wait/hope for the 9990 or figure something out (will also depend on if I grab the ivy-bridge e or steamroller chip).

Specifically, DigiTimes believes Asus, MSI and PowerColor will be among the first to ship Hawaii-based products.
DigiTimes should also believe Sapphire is on that list since Sapphires parent company (PC Partner) produces ALL reference AMD cards - Radeon and FirePro.

In related news, this would point to what a number of people have been surmising (ahem)- that TSMC's 20nm process isn't going feature by the end of the year and that the timing of 20nm and GDDR6 don't fit with AMD's/Nvidia's GPU cadence. The rumours that Nvidia's Maxwell will also continue to use 28nm initially also seem to be gathering traction.

Hmmm interesting. I wonder what the specs will be on this AMD Hawaii. Will it have sunshine and ocean waves lol. Ahh I have a laptop, but I'm considering a tower.

Hmm I'll get to own a 9800 again, I'm intrigued.

Lol same here, I've been waiting so long for another 9xxx to come by again just to say I can own one! The 9800 was god's gift to man back in the 90's.

Graphics cards? I'm still using the integrated graphics on my i7-3770k. If any of you wish to donate money to my graphics card fund...

Graphics cards? I'm still using the integrated graphics on my i7-3770k. If any of you wish to donate money to my graphics card fund...

what games do u play then :S? thats like me 4 months ago saying that I game on a pentium 4 geforce 6200 :S buy a mid range card for 100 bucks and play on medium with playable framerates atleast

Back