AMD or Intel CPU Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,
I thought I had to go AMD for price so I purchased:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition

Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Now I am getting a lot of feedback that I should have stuck with Intel for my new build. So who can come up with a better Intel CPU & Mobo at around $150? E5200 with mobo? Would it be worth it to send the AMD back? Would I need a cooler for whatever you can come up with or is stock ok?

Which would be better upgradable?

Am adding it to:

Crucial 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory

Western Digital WD 3200AAKS Caviar SE16 320GB SATA II 7200 Rpm 16MB Cache SATA Hard Drive

Group Blue Storm II 500W ATX 2.2 SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply

GPU: Radeon X1950PRO 256MB PCIe GDDR3

I already have purchased these other components and got many at better prices than NewEgg so not inclined to change them, except maybe add memory.

This will be a XP system with only occasional WoW gaming ect.

7750 or e5200, the difference your not going to see.

go with whats cheaper.

i tested the 7750, it is no doubt amd's best dual core chip in the athlon x2 line.
i tested it against the x2 6400.

clock for clock, the 7750 came out on top, and the temp difference was amazing.
the 7750 ran 10C cooler in the same system.

3.4Ghz is a good stable overclock on the 7750. (2.7 stock)
thats a 700mhz overclock.

i cant speak on the e5200 overclocking, because i have not owned one myself.
im sure it can overclock past 3.4 tho, given you have a good cpu cooler.

but what im trying to say, either chip you get, the performance is almost identical to the other.

here is my 6400 vs 7750 chart i made @ another site after a couple of bencharmarks were completed.

test system:
asus m2n-e 570 ultra mobo
ocz platinum ddr2 800 ram
evga gtx 280
x2 7750 and x2 6400
7750conclusion.jpg

the 3dmark score is cpu score only, the actual scores both are in the 12k range, but that is thanks to the gpu.

edit: get a getter video card than that x1900 series.
if your going ati, grab a 4830 if you can afford it, its about $100
if you want nvidia, grab a 9600gso, its less than $100, and its a great budget card.

It is not worth getting an Intel system, especially if you are only playing WoW. The AMD CPU & mobo are more than sufficient. The main factor affecting performance in games is the GPU, CPUs do not make that much of a difference, especially when you come to current-gen AMD and Intel CPUs.

FWIW

I really do prefer AMD, but I'm stuck with an Intel for now.

They compete with each other head-to-head so much, it usually boils down to price.

But it seems as though AMD's lower-end lines tend to beat Intel in comparisons. Whether said comparisons are unbiased? No clue. But the majority seem to swing towards AMD.

But all I look at is the cheap stuff. I just won't spend more than $60 on a CPU. I don't need tons of performance, not really a gamer.

Disclaimer :
iMoose is kinda stooopid, he usually bases his opinions upon how shiny the items are.

Thanks for the great replies. I'll stick with what I got then.
The GPU I picked up for $55. I went over budget on a lot of things so I was restricted. I looked into the 4650, but it seemed the 1950pro was a better deal for what I needed it to do.

Thanks for the great replies. I'll stick with what I got then.
The GPU I picked up for $55. I went over budget on a lot of things so I was restricted. I looked into the 4650, but it seemed the 1950pro was a better deal for what I needed it to do.

not a problem.

but, you will be replacing that x1900 sooner than later. as it will not be good enough for future gen games you may or may not pick up.

ati 4830 or above or nividia 9600gso or above would outlast your needs much longer than the x1900, so if you do happen to run into some extra cash, do grab a better video card and try selling the x1950 while its still in new condition.

the performance increase from a 4830 or 9600gso compaired to the 1900 series is rather large. and these are todays budget video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back