AMD Radeon RX 6800-series already out of stock, Microcenter selling cards in-store only

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? In what should come as a surprise to absolutely nobody, retailers and manufacturers of AMD's Radeon RX 6800-series are warning of extremely limited stock levels at launch. The cards went on sale twenty minutes ago at the time of writing, but they already appear sold out at all online retail sites, though you might be able to score one at a Microcenter, which is selling them in-store only.

While this season's multitude of gaming product launches—the Xbox Series X/S, PS5, and RTX 3000 series—have all been marred by limited stock and scalper bots, AMD's Frank Azor said in September that the Radeon RX 6000 products would not suffer the same fate. He even accepted one Twitter user's $10 bet that it would be a paper launch.

It looks as if Azor might have to pull out his wallet. Both the RX 6800 and 6800 XT are marked as Out of Stock or absent from many online retailers' stores, including Newegg, Best Buy, Walmart, and AMD's own site.

For those willing to brave the pandemic and buy one of the cards from a brick-and-mortar store, Microcenter is selling the Radeon RX 6800 series at its physical outlets only—none are being sold online. People have been camping out at some locations since yesterday, probably because the company has warned that stock quantities will be "extremely limited at launch." However, it did say additional shipments of GPUs are expected later on launch day and subsequent days (thanks, Videocardz).

Something else that shouldn't surprise people is the number of cards already on eBay, the most expensive of which, so far, is $2,299. The Radeon RX 6800 XT has a $650 MSRP.

The release date for RX 6800-series custom cards is November 25, though you can expect them to disappear in seconds, too, as will doubtlessly be the case with the Radeon RX 6900 XT when it arrives on December 8.

We gave the Radeon RX 6800 XT a score of 90 in our review. Make sure to check out the full article, including all the benchmarks, right here.

Permalink to story.

Doesnt surprise me. There is huge pent up demand from 4 years of 1080ti performance unless you were willing to pay $1300 or more, combined with the lack of a truly good big AMD card since the 290x or arguably the first fury, future lockdowns bugging peopel into upgrading their PCs, and the possibility on massive mining performance gains (because of course) on top of the usual launch day scalping.

I dont plan on being able to find either a 5900x5950x or 6800xt before march.

Maybe wait a few months until this whole virus thing calms down a bit, hopefully. By that time Nvidia/AMD/Intel might come up with new products, improvements and sort their stock issues.

Could not even check the product page on Mindfactory and I suppose they were one of the German retailers with the biggest number of cards at launch.

The whole site was not reachable for a few minutes and when I got it to load I could see their Radeon 6800 / XT teaser box but clicking on it returned "page not found".

At least for Ryzen 5000, product pages were up for about an hour.

The interesting thing will be to see if stock comes in the coming weeks, particularly AIB models.

Kyle Bennet stated this on the h forums:

What you are going to see will be different from what NVIDIA has done.

AMD MBA cards will be in short supply up front. However, where you saw NV front-load almost all its cards, AMD is backloading. Once AIB cards hit, you will see 5 to 7 times the inventory released than what NV has shipped total in NA at this time. AMD will be heavily back-loaded into the channel. AMD is shipping ASIC BOM kits nearly daily to AIBs at this point and it will continue to happen throughout Q4. There will be a decent supply through Q4.

Now let me say this again as it is worth hearing. There is no way that when AMD was doing its projections for supply, that it could have even fathomed that NVIDIA would totally **** the bed on 3080/90 supply for the quarter, effectively abandoning the $500 to $1000 GPU TAM. NVIDIA has left such a gaping hole in the market that there is no way it can be filled currently. From my information and analysis, AMD projected to grow its portion of the TAM and will have inventory to do that. The sad fact is that NV simply abandoned its customer in that market and there is no possible way for AMD to fill the void.

https://hardforum.com/threads/radeon-6000-series-speculation.2001864/page-13#post-1044808902

To be seen if it pans out like this, or not.

Maybe wait a few months until this whole virus thing calms down a bit, hopefully. By that time Nvidia/AMD/Intel might come up with new products, improvements and sort their stock issues.
The whole "virus thing" is why people want these cards. What else are you going to do when under lockdown for months in the winter?

During the warmer months you can rennovate the house, go for a run/bike, work on the garden, ece. But now you cant work outside in many places, too cold/dead. Restraunts are shutting down again. Bars are shutting down. Lot more people are going to be turning to gaming, and are realizing how weak their old PCs are.

The whole "virus thing" is why people want these cards. What else are you going to do when under lockdown for months in the winter?

During the warmer months you can rennovate the house, go for a run/bike, work on the garden, ece. But now you cant work outside in many places, too cold/dead. Restraunts are shutting down again. Bars are shutting down. Lot more people are going to be turning to gaming, and are realizing how weak their old PCs are.
I'd say it's a combination of the Virus thing and the launch of exciting / desirable products.

GPU wise I am aiming for a 6700(XT) or 3060Ti, so curious how that launch is going but that's January the earliest.
CPU wise I will upgrade to a Ryzen 5800x or 5900x in about a year when prices have come down, so no rush there either.

I did (and still do) want an XBox Series X for my kid but no chance there.

So can we now just say that nvidia, amd and the new consoles will be officially widely available in Spring 2021 at reasonable prices aka msrp.

The manufacturing capacities are what they are.

How those limitations are handled is what is within immediate control, and to me the unforthright marketing communications, the wild west ordering process, and the surrendering of huge margins to the scalpers are all madness.

At 6:05 Pacific/9:05 Eastern AM, went to amazon and saw a 6800 available, put it in my cart and check out, asked me if I want extended warranty, I said no. As I was to click order, I saw my cart turn from 1 to 0.
Those scalpers bot can steal it from my cart?! WT!

Back