AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12 WHQL officially patches fan bug

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AMD has released version 15.12 of its Radeon Software Crimson Edition, a WHQL-certified driver that most notably "officially" addresses a fan speed issue that cropped up last month. Think of it as an early gift for the holidays.

The change log highlights a number of resolved issues. In Star Wars: Battlefront, the driver fixes flickers related to snow, broken sky renderings and shadowy texture issues in some locations of the game. Version 15.12 also addresses issues with compass flickering in Fallout 4 (although it seems AMD hasn't quite worked out a fix for Radeon R9 290 and R9 295X2 series cards) and in Just Cause 3, some texture corruption issues should now be a thing of the past.

With regard to the fan issue, the AMD Overdrive fan settings will always be set to ON after first edit on reboot. What's more, the fan speed is set to Manual when exiting from a game or application.

For everything the drivers fix, there are still plenty of known issues that haven't yet been remedied. I counted nearly 30 known issues affecting games such as Total War: Rome II, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, Starcraft 2 and Assassin's Creed Syndicate, just to name a few.

Do note that you'll need to be running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later in order to use these drivers. Furthermore, they must be installed either as the Administrator or with Administrator rights.

Permalink to story.

Think of it as an early gift for the holidays.
Early gift my ***! Game tweaks are one thing but this bug that effects card thermals. There should have been a WHQL release fix within the first few days. With that said though, let the good times roll.

"Furthermore, they must be installed either as the Administrator or with Administrator rights."

Shawn, are you saying that you are able to install in another way? Why would that be allowed?? Shouldn't that be "fixed"???

Think of it as an early gift for the holidays.
Early gift my ***! Game tweaks are one thing but this bug that effects card thermals. There should have been a WHQL release fix within the first few days. With that said though, let the good times roll.

Indeed, the fan issue was pretty bad. They did have a beta driver out very quickly but many users don't download betas.

"Furthermore, they must be installed either as the Administrator or with Administrator rights."

Shawn, are you saying that you are able to install in another way? Why would that be allowed?? Shouldn't that be "fixed"???

You don't need an admin account to install drivers. He's just stating something that every techie should know, always install drivers on an admin account.

I just happened to look at the version of drivers on my new pc that I have had for about a month and noticed that my driver version is 15.300 so I have to ask what would version 15.12 have to offer for myself, but more importantly why are they just now promoting this driver when my current driver is newer than this older 15.12?

I just happened to look at the version of drivers on my new pc that I have had for about a month and noticed that my driver version is 15.300 so I have to ask what would version 15.12 have to offer for myself, but more importantly why are they just now promoting this driver when my current driver is newer than this older 15.12?

15.12 produces driver version 15.300.1025.1001

You don't need an admin account to install drivers. He's just stating something that every techie should know, always install drivers on an admin account.

I know that. You know that. However, some folks do not know that.

My point is that a driver installer should be designed to require increased privilege. If it fails to do that, then it is a failure which should be noted and (hopefully) corrected.

Frankly, I would like to require all driver installers to remind, cajole, prod (if not require) the user into doing it right. I probably started programming before your parents were born and after all these years, I have to admit that I do not always remember to do what is the current wisdom.

So, what else would you expect from someone who remembers his first lines of code on a teletype at 100 baud.

Last edited:
I know that. You know that. However, some folks do not know that.

My point is that a driver installer should be designed to require increased privilege. If it fails to do that, then it is a failure which should be noted and (hopefully) corrected.

Frankly, I would like to require all driver installers to remind, cajole, prod (if not require) the user into doing it right. I probably started programming before your parents were born and after all these years, I have to admit that I do not always remember to do what is the current wisdom.

So, what else would you expect from someone who remembers his first lines of code on a teletype at 110 baud.

I think that's a very good idea. It's not hard at all to have the installer check if it's running with admin privileges. Something as simple as that could go a long way towards helping user friendliness on the PC in general.

Back