AMD roadmap shows Zen 2 "Matisse" architecture arriving in 2019

midian182

Staff member

While AMD’s Ryzen chips have finally enabled it to start challenging Intel in the CPU market again, the company knows there’s still room for improvement. Marketing manager Don Woligroski even called Ryzen a “worst case scenario” for the new architecture, adding that Zen 2 will address its weaker points. Now, a leaked roadmap shows when the new processors will arrive.

The slides come from Spanish website Informatica Cero (via TechPowerUp) and show details of AMD’s CPU releases right up until 2019.

Next year will see the launch of Pinnacle Ridge as successor to the current Summit Ridge processors. These are a refinement of the existing architecture that will likely bring, among other things, increased frequencies, which matches reports of the next generation of Zen chips moving from the 14nm node to 12nm — essentially making Pinnacle Ridge AMD’s tick in the tick-tock model.

Things get more interesting with the scheduled launch of Zen 2 in 2019. It appears that AMD is moving on from its Ridge naming system to something with a more artistic flair. Matisse — named after the early twentieth-century French painter — is the code-name for the new Zen 2 architecture. There’s no information on whether AMD intends to increase Summit Ridge’s 8 Cores and 16 threads design, but the fact that Matisse works with AM4 motherboards suggests it won’t be adding any more.

The Roadmap also shows AMD’s desktop/Notebook APUs, including 2019’s Picasso. These are based on the upcoming Raven Ridge APUs, which combine Vega 11 NCUs with up to 8 Zen threads.

Earlier this week, Intel announced its 8th generation Coffee Lake desktop chips, which includes what the company is calling its best gaming chip ever. But these new CPUs will require new motherboards as they aren’t compatible with existing 200-series mobos.

Permalink to story.

I knew that 2018 will have "Zen+" but I didn't expect them to move to 12nm FinFET. I wonder if they'll manage to make them work at 4.5GHz with the help of this new node.
If they manage to get 10% higher clocks and and extra 5-10% IPC then it should be more than enough to keep Intel sweating until they finish working on Zen 2.

Hmm all appear to be on the AM4 socket. If these future CPU's are compatible with current motherboards then that makes for a huge incentive over going with Coffee Lake in my case.

My i5 2500k rig is need of an upgrade and was eagerly awaiting Coffee Lake reviews/pricing but kowing that itll be the last CPU I could get for the accompanying motherboard is a bit off-putting.

Hmm all appear to be on the AM4 socket. If these future CPU's are compatible with current motherboards then that makes for a huge incentive over going with Coffee Lake in my case.

My i5 2500k rig is need of an upgrade and was eagerly awaiting Coffee Lake reviews/pricing but kowing that itll be the last CPU I could get for the accompanying motherboard is a bit off-putting.
This was a part of the planning around the am4 platform and one of the primary draws of the platform to most people - its designed to be compatible. Whether motherboard makers release BIOS updates is up to them, but there will be lots of VERY angry consumers if they don't.

This was a part of the planning around the am4 platform and one of the primary draws of the platform to most people - its designed to be compatible. Whether motherboard makers release BIOS updates is up to them, but there will be lots of VERY angry consumers if they don't.
There are rumors of an X470 chipset though, but still AM4 socket. It is unknown whether this is true and what the improvements will be.

Same way that consumers (including me) are meant to be angry about coffee lake not being allowed to work on z270? :p

There are rumors of an X470 chipset though, but still AM4 socket. It is unknown whether this is true and what the improvements will be.

I'm fine with a new chipset, as long as I can still use the CPU on the old board (presumably with some performance drawbacks).

The whole advancement with Zen, is to hopefully strengthen a lot of their weaknesses in the platform. Or so they have stated from what I have heard, because they are still losing out in some situations to Intel. I will give them a major thumbs up though, for the improvement over what they previously had. Even the Phenom lineup is a close match to the FX, in some situation but obviously it's seeing a lot more problems.

Hoping to consider moving into the AM4 platform, much as I enjoy the AM3 lineup for the years I used it.

The whole advancement with Zen, is to hopefully strengthen a lot of their weaknesses in the platform. Or so they have stated from what I have heard, because they are still losing out in some situations to Intel. I will give them a major thumbs up though, for the improvement over what they previously had. Even the Phenom lineup is a close match to the FX, in some situation but obviously it's seeing a lot more problems.

Hoping to consider moving into the AM4 platform, much as I enjoy the AM3 lineup for the years I used it.

AM3? Man, your missing out my friend and have been for years if your dropping mega bucks on a GPU

I knew that 2018 will have "Zen+" but I didn't expect them to move to 12nm FinFET. I wonder if they'll manage to make them work at 4.5GHz with the help of this new node.
If they manage to get 10% higher clocks and and extra 5-10% IPC then it should be more than enough to keep Intel sweating until they finish working on Zen 2.

4.5GHz that would be sweet

Raven Ridge is critical to the mainstream market success. It is laptops and OEM machines that really need the competition and where big money lies.

It has been AMD's business model to release subsequent CPUs that do run on the previous generation platform, though I did own a motherboard from one manufacturer that did not support a subsequent gen CPU in the revision of the MB that I owned. However, this is, AFAIK, the only time that happened.

A new chipset that adds features/performance has also been part of AMD's business model in the past.

All of this is a differentiator from sIntel, and, at least as I see it, AMD would PO a lot of supporters if they started following the sIntel model of new MB/chipset required for new CPU releases. I think it highly likely that subsequent AM4 CPUs will run on existing AM4 capable MBs as long as the MB manufacturer supports it hardware wise and with a BIOS update.

If Zen is anything like Bulldozer, then they should be able to make good improvements to their chipsets without drastically changing them. Reading Anandtech, it seemed like every new iteration of the old crappy architecture yielded improvements so there is hope.

Back