AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Review: Affordable Ryzen is Great

Hmm, not sure if my msi a320m gaming pro would be able to support this cpu. How much more performance will I get if I upgrade from ryzen 3 1200

Great article! Is it worth upgrading from an Intel 2500k overclocked to 4.4ghz?
Cheers

It depends on the games you play, but for most modern titles you'll see less stuttering, especially if you're using a GTX 1070/Vega 56 or faster graphics card.

Hmm, not sure if my msi a320m gaming pro would be able to support this cpu. How much more performance will I get if I upgrade from ryzen 3 1200
The difference in performance is pretty big. We are talking about not just a lot more threads and cores but also higher clocks, IPC and cache size. You'll see good gains in games and huge gains in productivity.

Last edited:
@Steve
Would it be possible to split the graphs into stock and overclocked? (might just be me getting old)
Actually I would love to see stock with no overclocked memory, stock with say 3200Mhz and then overclocked

I know this is a huge amount of work but would be very curious to see what to expect with off the shelf machines with 2400Mhz or even 2933Mhz.

I prefer 2600 of course. I dont like the wraith stealth, but is not a real problem, for 25$ you can buy a basic cooler even for OC.

I prefer 2600 of course. I dont like the wraith stealth, but is not a real problem, for 25$ you can buy a basic cooler even for OC.
True... but for $30 more, you can get the 2600X instead... Seems to be quite silly to be spending only $5 less just to not-quite-match the better CPU....

True... but for $30 more, you can get the 2600X instead... Seems to be quite silly to be spending only $5 less just to not-quite-match the better CPU....

I'd get the 2600 plus a good tower cooler for $30.

I'd get the 2600 plus a good tower cooler for $30.
It's a shame you can't get the CPU's with no cooler like with Intel and knock off £10-15 quid. Then you can spend the money saved plus a little extra on a nice beefy cooler.

Edit: Had a look at Core i5 8400 OEM vs Retail and it's a saving of 50p, so really not worth it.

Steve, we are so glad you did this review!
It looks like the memory controller on my 2400g and not my cheap B-350 is what limits me to 3333 mhz. Thanks for educating me on this.

With the 8700k vs 2700x, these two both offer advantages over the other as the extra threads often do not help and the 8700k can clock high, if you have the cooling

As for the i5 8400 vs the 2600, the Ryzen+ really steals the show as it often has a very big lead in productivity and only loses a small margin in gaming.

Thank you for the review.I watched some movies on it and am pretty chuffed with the 2600.The few bucks more can rather be spent on a better cooler.Sad part is I have to wait till November before I get mine.I'll most prob die of excitement lol

Could you perhaps share your Premiere Pro project file? Do you use some commonly available video file for your comparison? I was wondering how my OC would compare power-wise :)

"Yes, the latest Spectre and Meltdown patches have been applied."

:)

Thank god you nipped that tedious debate in the bud.

The potential wordplay with "sphincter" just occurred to me.

Just musing, but for many, your excellent review seems very relevant to many 8 core buyers too.

Your results and arguments make a good case for the 2600 & better cooler over the 2600x, but results also indicate the 8 core is a no brainer if you make a living from the demanding apps where the extra 2 cores inarguably matter.

OTOH, you do get a better cooler w/ the 2700x included.

There is also a segment of the market that LIKE cool and quiet in a small form factor, and prefer lower rated cpuS :).

As you show, deviating from the factory validated ~optimal settings, can have some hidden nasty surprises for power consumption in some apps.

Go ahead, AMD. Charge me an extra $5-$10 and give me a Wraith Spire with the 2600. I can skip a couple cups of mocha for a better cooler for the next three-four years.

Probably will be an excellent buy when it drops to around 8400 prices. Performs slightly worse in games but much better in almost all other areas

The Intel 8400 IRL paired with a 1060 3GB , 570 4GB would not perform noticeably better in gaming. Using a 1080 ti creates an unrealistic and misleading impression. The same could be said for the K versions of the higher priced Intel CPUs. We know some games favor one or the other brand but that difference becomes slimmer when configurations match what gamers could afford and would actually buy.

Back