AMD Ryzen 5 4600H Review: Fastest Entry-Level Laptop CPU Ever

Wow, it does REALLY well in synthetic benchmarks, my friends are sure to think I'm awsome!

Where are the actual, useful benchmarks, likes games and productivity software? Outside of handbrake, there isnt really anything here. Anandtech does this to when talking about Ryzen, they bang on about synthetics but no real info on real world software performance.

I was waiting for this, and thanks God, it doesn't disappoint. It is called "entry level", but I think that is just marketing: it is a direct competitors to Intel's top-tier offering a generation ago, so it should be called mid-tier, in all fairness (liek on desktop, where they introduced the 3300x a year after the 3600, so till then it was also called "entry-level").
Still, awesome product, and can hardly wait for laptops coming to the market featuring it!

Wow, it does REALLY well in synthetic benchmarks, my friends are sure to think I'm awsome!

Where are the actual, useful benchmarks, likes games and productivity software? Outside of handbrake, there isnt really anything here. Anandtech does this to when talking about Ryzen, they bang on about synthetics but no real info on real world software performance.
Which additional productivity software would you suggest?

Which additional productivity software would you suggest?
I am all about game performance. As such I suggest that the same games tested in the GPU reviews be used here to measure CPU scaling and overall CPU based gaming performance. Those with investment in productivity software can make suggestions on specifics in that catagory.

I am all about game performance. As such I suggest that the same games tested in the GPU reviews be used here to measure CPU scaling and overall CPU based gaming performance. Those with investment in productivity software can make suggestions on specifics in that catagory.

It's an entry level apu in a laptop. Well for one its going to beat most any Intel mobile cpu in gaming (without eram) and secondly it still won't be enough to make a differnce for anything playable at 1080P and higher with more graphic settings. As usual get discrete graphics if you want any real gaming to be done.

Last edited:
A gaming review is coming soon, just wait for a bit longer until they manage to get a laptop that doesn't have the weakest Nvidia GPU of all of the laptops tested here :D

It wouldn't be much of a comparison otherwise. There is a pretty big difference between the 1650 ti and the 1660 ti in games.

Last edited:
I'd also like to see gaming benchmarks but also investigations about how intel and AMD platforms compare when running sustained workloads (like games) for hours. How do they sustain clock rates and how do they compare in terms of throttling?

Did you miss the part of the review where Tim specifically addressed gaming and why it wasn't included?

Wow, it does REALLY well in synthetic benchmarks, my friends are sure to think I'm awsome! Where are the actual, useful benchmarks, likes games and productivity software? Outside of handbrake, there isnt really anything here. Anandtech does this to when talking about Ryzen, they bang on about synthetics but no real info on real world software performance.
Most benchmarks in the review are real-life ones, not synthetic (e.g. PCMark). Gaming is missing because this CPU is so new, there are no ways to compare it against laptops with the same GPU (the biggest factor driving gaming performance).

All of these laptops were tested to put together today's graphs:

MSI GS66 Stealth 10SE
Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506IU
Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506II
Gigabyte Aorus 15G XB
Asus Zephyrus G14 GA401IV
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo UX481FL
Razer Blade Stealth 2019
MSI Prestige 14 A10SC
Gigabyte Aorus 15
MSI GE75 Raider 9SF
Rader Blade Pro 17
Asus ROG Strix Scar III G531G
Gigabyte Aorus 15 XA
Acer Predator Helios 300 (9750H)
HP Omen 15
HP Envy x360
Asus ZenBook UM433D
Asus ROG Zephyrus GA502D
Asus TUF Gaming FX505D
Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Kaby Lake G Version
Asus ROG Strix Scar II
Asus ROG Strix Hero II
Gigabyte Aero 15 X9
MSI GS75 Stealth 8SG
Alienware m15
Acer Predator Helios 300 2017
Acer Predator Triton 700 2017
MSI GS65 Stealth Thin
Gigabyte Aero 15X

The wait for build quality continues. Put this in a CNC machined aluminium package with dual channel memory, a proper NVME drive and 8 GB RTX and I’m game.

It's an entry level apu in a laptop. Well for one its going to beat most any Intel mobile cpu in gaming (without eram)
IS it? Where are the benchmarks showing this? oh, right, they are not in the review, which was kinda my point.

and secondly it still won't be enough to make a differnce for anything playable at 1080P and higher with more graphic settings.
Why must everything be at 1080p high for you guys? When I still had a laptop with an APU in it, I wasnt trying to push 1080p. I was running older games at 720p that the APU could handle. Some of us might be curious how this APU handles games at lower resolutions or older games that were not as well threaded. Especially since:
As usual get discrete graphics if you want any real gaming to be done.
The ryzen 4000 APUs show promising gaming performance on their iGPUs. This is something many of us would be interested in. "real gaming" doesnt require a 2080ti and 4k resoution you know. And this laptop DOES have a dGPU, a new one, the 1650ti, and some of us would like to see how it stacks compared to other dGPUs currently on the market.
Most benchmarks in the review are real-life ones, not synthetic (e.g. PCMark). Gaming is missing because this CPU is so new, there are no ways to compare it against laptops with the same GPU (the biggest factor driving gaming performance).

All of these laptops were tested to put together today's graphs:

MSI GS66 Stealth 10SE
Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506IU
Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506II
Gigabyte Aorus 15G XB
Asus Zephyrus G14 GA401IV
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo UX481FL
Razer Blade Stealth 2019
MSI Prestige 14 A10SC
Gigabyte Aorus 15
MSI GE75 Raider 9SF
Rader Blade Pro 17
Asus ROG Strix Scar III G531G
Gigabyte Aorus 15 XA
Acer Predator Helios 300 (9750H)
HP Omen 15
HP Envy x360
Asus ZenBook UM433D
Asus ROG Zephyrus GA502D
Asus TUF Gaming FX505D
Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Kaby Lake G Version
Asus ROG Strix Scar II
Asus ROG Strix Hero II
Gigabyte Aero 15 X9
MSI GS75 Stealth 8SG
Alienware m15
Acer Predator Helios 300 2017
Acer Predator Triton 700 2017
MSI GS65 Stealth Thin
Gigabyte Aero 15X
I appreciate the work you put in, but even without comparable mobile GPUs (and really, you dont have any 1650s or 1660s or 1660ti mobile GPUs to compare? You know those will be a competitor to the 1650ti as well? Some may like to see how this 1650ti/ryzen combo fares against intel/1660 laptops) there are still games like Starcraft II that are heavily single thread limited that would be interesting to see if mobile ryzen 4000 is any significant improvement from ryzen 3000, and if so if AMD's turbo boost allows for this higher performance ot be sustained longer then Intel's mobile parts. As we saw with ryzen 3000, synthetic and even productivity benchmarks do not mean that gaming performance will scale at the same rate. It would be nice to see some of these more limited gaming scenarios tested to see if there is much improvement from ryzen 4000 mobile.

It just seems very odd that a review with SO MANY gaming laptops (several of which have comparable 1660 or 1660ti or 1650 GPUs) and not a single gaming related benchmark.

IS it? Where are the benchmarks showing this? oh, right, they are not in the review, which was kinda my point.

Why must everything be at 1080p high for you guys? When I still had a laptop with an APU in it, I wasnt trying to push 1080p. I was running older games at 720p that the APU could handle. Some of us might be curious how this APU handles games at lower resolutions or older games that were not as well threaded. Especially since:

The ryzen 4000 APUs show promising gaming performance on their iGPUs. This is something many of us would be interested in. "real gaming" doesnt require a 2080ti and 4k resoution you know. And this laptop DOES have a dGPU, a new one, the 1650ti, and some of us would like to see how it stacks compared to other dGPUs currently on the market.

I appreciate the work you put in, but even without comparable mobile GPUs (and really, you dont have any 1650s or 1660s or 1660ti mobile GPUs to compare? You know those will be a competitor to the 1650ti as well? Some may like to see how this 1650ti/ryzen combo fares against intel/1660 laptops) there are still games like Starcraft II that are heavily single thread limited that would be interesting to see if mobile ryzen 4000 is any significant improvement from ryzen 3000, and if so if AMD's turbo boost allows for this higher performance ot be sustained longer then Intel's mobile parts. As we saw with ryzen 3000, synthetic and even productivity benchmarks do not mean that gaming performance will scale at the same rate. It would be nice to see some of these more limited gaming scenarios tested to see if there is much improvement from ryzen 4000 mobile.

It just seems very odd that a review with SO MANY gaming laptops (several of which have comparable 1660 or 1660ti or 1650 GPUs) and not a single gaming related benchmark.

Again, you don't need to be a genious or to see graph's to know AMD's notebook graghics are better than Intel's mobile cpu's without that expensive Eram. Most of these entry level cpu's/apu's can't run newer games at 720P with high settings either. These new apu's have better/faster IPC's but not game changing IPC so to speak. If you need single threaded gaming performance that bad best to look at a faster apu/cpu with or without discrete graphics. They didn't have gaming benchmarks but maybe some other review will. I doubt it will be mind blowing either way.

Good article yes. But why score is only 95/100? Because Nvidia's die shrinked GPU got 100/100, this should get at least 300/100 ?

There may never be any H series Ryzen 3 processors. There really isn't a market for entry level performance laptops, which is where the H series parts go, so we may only see U series Ryzen 3.

In any case we won't see them for a while. Like the entry level Zen 2 desktop processors, we'll have to wait a few months. AMD will sell off their remaining Zen+ laptop APUs for entry level systems before they start making Zen 2 based Ryzen 3 for laptop.

Given how well Zen 2 is doing at both speed and power consumption, I'd love to see what these parts could do in an ultralight Y series setup!

I dont wanna game on my laptop, but I want 6-cores/12-threads of Ryzen goodness. Any laptops on the market with the 4600H but WITHOUT the extra cost of a discrete gpu?

You guys need to get your hands on a Dell G5 15" SE, with a Ryzen 5 4600H and a RX5600M with 8GB of video ram! It's not cheap at $1078 with 16GB of RAM, but I've seen mixed reviews and I'd love to see a very thorough and reliable review from Tim, as he always does. Thanks for all you do, appreciate the great reviews and info!

These results seem a little odd in places. 3200 in R20 is not a good result, it is about what the older 9750h gets. My personal laptop, that power throttles slightly due to Dell being stupid, gets just over 1500 with the 9750h for example.

The 10th gen version gets over 3200,and that is still technically a generation behind what the 4600h is competing with (people seem to have forgotten that AMDs release cycle works out this way, from back when they wanted to release later to look better)

Well my time to edit was well and truly wasted by the days I was unable to verify for some reason (couldn't edit until verified, you can only edit for 15 minutes after posting).

It was meant to be 3150 not 1500 in R20 for my 9750h.

Back