AMD Ryzen 7 4700U, Ryzen 5 4500U Review

I think Ryzen shines better in low power systems. So much power for a low TDP of 15w, graphics included. I also think these CPUs should have had much more availability in more and better laptops. Can't wait to see how ZEN 3 successors will perform.

I haven't seen many 4000-series desktops yet; has anyone else?
Nope... and that, unfortunately, is why Intel is still the king...

In the high-end laptop market, where the profits are obviously larger, you can’t find a Ryzen anywhere... I haven’t seen ANY gpu better than a 2060 max q paired with one...

Great review as always.

Just spotted a few small errors, I believe it should say "Lower is better" on Code compile for Cygwin and on the Excel large number benchmark rather than higher. (Editor's comment: Thanks! now corrected.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait.
Can you even buy a 4800U or 4900U yet?

Performance is cool, but what good is it if you can't buy it? I'm also looking at you, 3300X.

Can AMD be consistent - ever? We'll find out, because AMD can't survive with just beating Intel on paper.

I have a question about these AMD mobile parts.

Do they see AGESA firmware updates like the Desktop motherboards do?

You don't see better than a RTX 2060 in mobile with a Ryzen CPU because manufacturer's didn't want to get burned with inventory that didn't sell. That is slowly changing.

Well even though vendors are slowly starting to include AMD it seems like they might never start using dual channel on SODIMMS. I don't get it: it cannot be that expensive to include the support for it, not when compared to many of the other features that do get included.

It doesn't sells as well as being able to say "4K screen!" but it only takes a bit more effort to say "Yeah game performance here wipes the floor with the competition" and still have the same price just by configuring dual channel sodimms.

You don't see better than a RTX 2060 in mobile with a Ryzen CPU because manufacturer's didn't want to get burned with inventory that didn't sell. That is slowly changing.
That might have been the case at launch, but this many months after launch and with the CPUs being so good, something stinks.

The laptop chassis of many laptops with AMD CPUs clearly support GPUs of higher TDP like the RTX 2070 based on the cooling available and the Intel variants have such options.

Holiday sales are coming and they still don't have high end laptops with AMD when there is clear demand for them? How can you offer laptops with an 4900H CPU, 32 GB of high speed RAM, 144Hz monitor and 2GB SSDs but stop at a 2060Max-Q GPU... it's not normal and doesn't make sense at all. High end or workstation class laptops can be very profitable.

It's a limitation that seems to be hard imposed on all major OEMs.

Hopefully you can revisit this review when you have tiger lake numbers. Thats the real question after all. It's already clear Ice Lake is no match for the Ryzen 4000 series.

That might have been the case at launch, but this many months after launch and with the CPUs being so good, something stinks.

It's a limitation that seems to be hard imposed on all major OEMs.

Odd, isn‘t it ? Now we‘ve had the „it because of 8x PCIe lanes only“ excuse but it‘s a bit odd that even the mobile 2060 Super and 2070 are supposedly severely limited by 8x vs 16x when Igor shows in a test that it‘s barely noticeable for desktop cards (less than 2% for a 2070 Super @ 1080p, losses go down as resolution increases).

It almost seems like someone made an effort to ensure that there is no AMD + > 2060 combination on the market.

It almost seems like someone made an effort to ensure that there is no AMD + > 2060 combination on the market.

Perhaps it's just that laptop buyers are utterly stupid? We can roughly divide AMD CPU's in three groups: laptop, server and desktop.

Now, desktop buyers are most intelligent of those three. If AMD offers superior product, then desktop buyers gladly buy AMD. Also, people will demand AMD to be available. Server buyers are not so intelligent but still, if AMD really has superior product, AMD will secure big deals. Then we have *****ic laptop buyers. They just buy Intel because they "think" AMD is crap. And since laptop buyers are *****s and buy Intel anyway, OEM's don't bother to release AMD laptops.

AMD knows this very well. AMD first release server/desktop parts and much much much later release laptop parts. No wonder it took almost a year for AMD to release Zen2 laptop parts.

Perhaps it's just that laptop buyers are utterly stupid? We can roughly divide AMD CPU's in three groups: laptop, server and desktop.

Now, desktop buyers are most intelligent of those three. If AMD offers superior product, then desktop buyers gladly buy AMD. Also, people will demand AMD to be available. Server buyers are not so intelligent but still, if AMD really has superior product, AMD will secure big deals. Then we have *****ic laptop buyers. They just buy Intel because they "think" AMD is crap. And since laptop buyers are *****s and buy Intel anyway, OEM's don't bother to release AMD laptops.

AMD knows this very well. AMD first release server/desktop parts and much much much later release laptop parts. No wonder it took almost a year for AMD to release Zen2 laptop parts.
Don't want to argue with your assesment of customers but at least for the gaming models there should be sufficient customers. I honestly don't see why OEM should not be able to sell laptops with a 2060S or 2070S.

By many accounts, there seem to be availability issues for Renoir based systems. If that is due to low supply, high demand or a combination of the two is hard to tell. Could also be due to OEM not ordering enough CPU.

What I find odd is that there is not a single model with Renoir plus > 2060 (not even the super) from any OEM. Not one. If everyone does the same thing in a free market is when alarm bells go off.

Don't want to argue with your assesment of customers but at least for the gaming models there should be sufficient customers. I honestly don't see why OEM should not be able to sell laptops with a 2060S or 2070S.

By many accounts, there seem to be availability issues for Renoir based systems. If that is due to low supply, high demand or a combination of the two is hard to tell. Could also be due to OEM not ordering enough CPU.

What I find odd is that there is not a single model with Renoir plus > 2060 (not even the super) from any OEM. Not one. If everyone does the same thing in a free market is when alarm bells go off.

Perhaps they are able to sell but just don't want to. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of Renoir CPU's form AMD side. Low supply is caused only by OEM's not ordering enough parts.

Laptop makers have normal excuses like pandemic, need more time to test (despite RTX2060 and RTX2070 mobile has same TDP) etc.

So it all becomes what I said first: neither AMD or laptop OEM's believe buyers are smart enough to buy AMD laptops with high end graphics. Because AMD didn't want to take risk (laptop parts come year later than desktop parts), why should OEM's?

Neither AMD or laptop OEM's believe buyers are smart enough to buy AMD laptops with high end graphics..
I believe its simply based on demand considerations by OEMs. High-end graphics laptops are a small sliver of market share, AMD laptops are (prior to very recently) a small share also. Put the two together, and OEMs weren't seeing enough volume to justify the engineering and BOM overhead.

If Renoir laptops continue to sell as well as they seem to be doing, I think you'll see that change though, and quickly.

I believe its simply based on demand considerations by OEMs. High-end graphics laptops are a small sliver of market share, AMD laptops are (prior to very recently) a small share also. Put the two together, and OEMs weren't seeing enough volume to justify the engineering and BOM overhead.

If Renoir laptops continue to sell as well as they seem to be doing, I think you'll see that change though, and quickly.

Exactly. Like AMD, OEM's don't believe there is demand and so neither wants to take risk. Let someone else take it. What essentially causes this lack of demand are stupid buyers.

Pretty much different when comparing Ryzen 1xxx series on desktop market. AMD believed there is demand, motherboard makers and OEM's also. So there were options too. Not so stupid buyers there.

Hopefully situation gets better soon.

Exactly. Like AMD, OEM's don't believe there is demand and so neither wants to take risk. Let someone else take it. What essentially causes this lack of demand are stupid buyers.

Pretty much different when comparing Ryzen 1xxx series on desktop market. AMD believed there is demand, motherboard makers and OEM's also. So there were options too. Not so stupid buyers there.

Hopefully situation gets better soon.
Yes, but all including smaller and usually more adventurous ones like Schenker ?
It‘s a calculated risk but if one were to give it a shot, perhaps talking to AMD in parallel to ensure they have a good CPU supply, they could potentially get tons of sales, being the only offer on the market.

It‘s not like they can‘t use the same chassis with other GPU - it would just be one option.

Yes, but all including smaller and usually more adventurous ones like Schenker ?
It‘s a calculated risk but if one were to give it a shot, perhaps talking to AMD in parallel to ensure they have a good CPU supply, they could potentially get tons of sales, being the only offer on the market.

It‘s not like they can‘t use the same chassis with other GPU - it would just be one option.

Why not. But what if even smaller OEM's don't want to take risk? Or OEM's consider current Nvidia mobile products soon obsolete and wait until Ampere mobiles arrive?

I expect Tiger Lake laptops will be offered with high end current gen Nvidia tech. If so, then it's probably all about stupid buyers and OEM's not willing to take any risks.

Not exactly on topic but the Ryzen 7 4800U totally smashes everything in it's 15W path. Nothing comes close to it at such low power draw. And it ups the ante at 25W even further. Impressive!

Back