AMD Ryzen 7 5800H Review: As Fast as a Desktop

I really love how the Intel Core jumps right back to the top when you get to actual GAMING -0 which is the only thing I'm focused on when I buy my CPU/ GPU.

Can Techspot please do a test for Cyberpunk, DCS World, MSFS 2020 and Crysis Remastered?

Those are my measurements for purchase.

Not those benchmarkers I never used.

Out of the 3 gaming benchmarks, AMD beats Intel in 2. Intel is still behind. And when it comes to productivity, the new Ryzens beat the crap our of Intel. Most of us do other things than gaming. Only gaming, is for puberty attained teens and kids.

Some people need to let go of their ego and come down to earth. Open your eyes. Why argue for something that is obviously proven wrong again and again? Only stubborn dunces argue for futility.

This, coming from a user who only has Intel based CPUs in the desktop and laptops - 8700K, 9850H and 3632QM (for those who noted, yes, all i7s).

And yes, I'm really impressed with the new Ryzens. My next upgrade will be the Ryzen 9 5900X. As soon as I can gather my funds and sell off my aging 8700K and PS4 Pro.

As fast as a desktop? I think it depends on the desktop...

I've just ordered this one...

1612711150354.png

I think it might be twice as fast as that laptop...

Note, this is the end-of-January update from DELL, just released to the market. Seems like a very good value, considering the ongoing shortage of the components it is made of.

My desktop is a Ryzen 7 2700X, and my laptop is a Ryzen 7 4800H. And they score almost identical in benchmarks. So I imagine the Ryzen 7 5800H is close to the Ryzen 7 3700X. But aren't most if not all of these benchmarks comparison to other mobile CPUs? The headline isn't a good match to the article, although the article is great.

I know comparison of CPUs in gaming isn't as relevant, and more difficult since it's so hard to get comparable systems where the CPU is the only (or primary) differentiator, but would be enjoyable to see those exact differences when possible.

I really love how the Intel Core jumps right back to the top when you get to actual GAMING -0 which is the only thing I'm focused on when I buy my CPU/ GPU.

Can Techspot please do a test for Cyberpunk, DCS World, MSFS 2020 and Crysis Remastered?

For games, for single core, it's more about vendor specific instruction set optimization really, this is why AMD keeps pushing RDNA architecture... AMD need more support before developers start taking it seriously and optimize for AMD.

I now have a 3900x/2080 Super desktop and a 5900HX/3070 laptop. Productivity-wise, of course the 12-core desktop wins. But in games, the laptop is actually a hair faster. Which is quite impressive to me.

Out of the 3 gaming benchmarks, AMD beats Intel in 2. Intel is still behind. And when it comes to productivity, the new Ryzens beat the crap our of Intel. Most of us do other things than gaming. Only gaming, is for puberty attained teens and kids.

Some people need to let go of their ego and come down to earth. Open your eyes. Why argue for something that is obviously proven wrong again and again? Only stubborn dunces argue for futility.

This, coming from a user who only has Intel based CPUs in the desktop and laptops - 8700K, 9850H and 3632QM (for those who noted, yes, all i7s).

And yes, I'm really impressed with the new Ryzens. My next upgrade will be the Ryzen 9 5900X. As soon as I can gather my funds and sell off my aging 8700K and PS4 Pro.

I only care about gaming when it comes to hardware specs. When not gaming, the hardware simply needs to be good enough to support a web browser so I can VPN into my company's office.

Not all working professionals need computers with a high number of cores/threads.

Thanks for the article.
I think this is still just a warm-up to the real competition that's coming up a head. It is a good thing that AMD is still having this breathing space, as I want it to be fit enough with no compromises, when the real competition starts.

I think it will depend a lot on the power allocation of the laptop towards both the GPU and the CPU. The mobile RTX 3060 benchmarks kind show that there is a big difference between configs and Intel isn't ahead by any significant margin (and actually loses in many games).

In the end you are looking at very small differences between similar configs so I would rather focus on the other things like screen quality, battery life, storage, RAM, etc (best bang for your buck). It's hard to pass on 50% more cores without any measurable gains in other areas. 4 cores are just too few in 2021 even with good IPC... maybe wait for the 8 cores from Intel.

If intel release 45w 8 core tiger lake then it should be competitive.

Remains to be seen because right now, Tiger Lake can only compete in single core and iGP segments because its a 4c/8th chip.
Going to 8c/16th would increase the space requirements (along with the TDP), and Intel Tiger Lake only gets the results it gets with 28W.

For a 45W TDP Tiger Lake, Intel will need to drop core clocks and/or disable iGP cores... and of course, it will probably oveshoot its TDP by quite a lot.

Honestly, Intel isn't worth it right now.

With that headline, I expected some desktop components to compare it to in the charts. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

I only care about gaming when it comes to hardware specs. When not gaming, the hardware simply needs to be good enough to support a web browser so I can VPN into my company's office.

Not all working professionals need computers with a high number of cores/threads.

Funny to read people first brag about Intel because it's the fastest in gaming and they want the best...but when shown it is not so anymore and AMD does better in everything, they lower their tone and started saying they don't need the best anymore and can settle for their loyalty.

Nobody is asking to get the most cores/threads CPU.
It's a simple fact that the Ryzens are much much better products both in terms of efficiency and performance now.

I think it will depend a lot on the power allocation of the laptop towards both the GPU and the CPU. The mobile RTX 3060 benchmarks kind show that there is a big difference between configs and Intel isn't ahead by any significant margin (and actually loses in many games).
That‘s the interesting thing about the XMG laptop - the AMD based model has a higher TDP 3060 than its Intel counterpart.

Sweet Vaporware review. When is this going to be available for purchase?

Oh wait.. There is still only 2 or 3 laptop models with the 4800h cpu and its been over a year now?
Soo probably in 3 years we might see some major brands selling these but then also will be out of stock.

Honestly it's frustrating to no end that AMD keeps releasing new shiny amazing things but OEM's like DELL, HP , etc simply ignore them. And even when they do release a model with the new chips everything is out of stock for months.

That‘s the interesting thing about the XMG laptop - the AMD based model has a higher TDP 3060 than its Intel counterpart.
In my opinion, the Intel CPUs should give more than 10% more FPS on average than an equivalently priced laptop from AMD to be worth cutting the number of cores so much even if all you do is gaming. (even 10% is very little for me to buy a 4core CPU in 2021)

Let's see if the rumours of 8 core mobile Intel CPUs become true. (although I think Intel will skip them and go straight for the 12th gen in late 2021 which will have... 8 big cores only)

Well, it's impressive, but I thought this review was going to compare it to the desktop 5800 given the title. The question I thought it would answer was, is there any performance reason to go with the octo-core desktop?

It looks like the desktop chip has twice the L3 cache, more PCIe lanes, and slightly higher clocks (3.4 GHz/3.8 GHz for 5800/5800X). But what does that equate to in practice?

I still wish AMD would release the 5800 Non-X for retail. It seems to be the sweet spot for performance:efficiency. Although the 5800H (that's the 3.2 GHz one, right?) might be even more of a sweet spot. Basically, I don't think the extra 40 Watts for 400 MHz is justified, and would rather built with a 5800 Non-X or 5800H.

Funny to read people first brag about Intel because it's the fastest in gaming and they want the best...but when shown it is not so anymore and AMD does better in everything, they lower their tone and started saying they don't need the best anymore and can settle for their loyalty.

Nobody is asking to get the most cores/threads CPU.
It's a simple fact that the Ryzens are much much better products both in terms of efficiency and performance now.

"Nobody is asking to get the most cores/threads" is a complete contradiction to your earlier statement about most people needing computers for more than gaming. Most people who use laptops for cpu-intensive productivity programs (anybody who is not a child or pubescent teen, according to you) would obviously like to maximize cores/threads, all else equal.

Personally, I prefer to game on a desktop where powerful hardware is the priority (I'm a happy 5600x owner). For laptops, I prioritize noise and thermals because I want my wife to enjoy her tv shows while I sit next to her. Power is obviously sacrificed for temps/thermals, and they also fluctuate significantly between laptop manufacturers. If I were buying a gaming laptop this year, I would probably compare builds with a 5600HS or i5 and go with the best option.

Last edited:
I experience 400mhz hard throttling with a multiscreen setup on a Asus Zephyrus Duo 15 SE, as well as lag issues with applications like MS Word on external screens. It seemed like it was a simple 300hz 60hz refresh rate Mismatch, but in the end I recorded clips showing the throttling in mid usage cases.

The throttling for the 5800h in the Asus Zephyrus Duo 15 SE can be seen in this YT clip:

The fan was set at turbo/performance and Temps were not the cause, rather igpu load causing a signaling cascade to throttle, although falsely so.

The throttling for the 5800h in the Asus Zephyrus Duo 15 SE can be seen in this YT clip:

The fan was set at turbo/performance and Temps were not the cause, rather igpu load causing a signaling cascade to throttle, although falsely so.
It could be a power distribution issue under specific workloads and conditions. Are the VRM temps ok?

Back