AMD teases its upcoming RDNA 2-powered 'Hangar 21' ray tracing tech demo

Polycount

Staff
In brief: If you thought Nvidia was the only GPU maker capable of creating cards that can power impressive ray tracing tech, think again. Now that AMD's RX 6000-series GPUs are on the horizon, the company is eager to show off its RT chops in the best way it can: a tech demo, set to launch on November 19.

Sadly, November 19 is still a couple short days away, so we can't see AMD's upcoming "Hangar 21" demo in all its glory just yet. However, the company has released a short teaser trailer for the demo today, which you can see above.

The teaser briefly showcases a variety of RT effects running on AMD's open-source FidelityFX graphical platform (in combination with DirectX 12 Ultimate). Some of the key effects shown off in the teaser include ray traced shadows, reflections, and "lighting," presumably global illumination.

As for the content of the demo, it looks like some sort of far-future sci-fi infiltration mission, with a cyborg ninja as our protagonist. As someone who has just recently completed the excellent Ghostrunner, I have to say it certainly looks like AMD took some inspiration from that title with this demo.

We're excited to see the full tech demo in action when AMD releases it to the public, and we'll be sure to share it with our readers when the time comes.

Permalink to story.

Honestly, I'm more interested seeing a full game with this type of scifi feel.

Ghostrunner was indeed cool (though towards the end I was getting tired/annoyed of the gameplay), but I haven't seen much of this aesthetic lately that I actually like...

Honestly, I'm more interested seeing a full game with this type of scifi feel.

Ghostrunner was indeed cool (though towards the end I was getting tired/annoyed of the gameplay), but I haven't seen much of this aesthetic lately that I actually like...
I enjoyed it a lot, but I can see where you're coming from. Toward the end I was happy it was over and didn't overstay its welcome. If I'd been forced to sit through another 4-5 hours of it, I probably would've given up.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I can see where you're coming from. Toward the end I was happy it was over and didn't overstay its welcome. If I'd been forced to sit through another 4-5 hours of it, I probably would've given up.
The tipping point for me was the little bomb enemies towards the end. I think you are just supposed to run from them, but it just ended up being super annoying (pretty much was just backtracking every time one would pop out).

I did quite enjoy the mechanics and the style. Was ok with the 1 hit kill. But I feel like there's room for a little more forgiving a game with this melee style (along with stealth).

I've been trying to learn mouse and keyboard recently with this game after being a console player most of my life and recently a gamepad PC player. I find even correctly hitting the slide or focus key is a challenge in this game cos of the reaction times. On gamepad it's a relative breeze.

When you have so many lights it looks like one of those indie games that are making up the lack of graphical fidelity with a bunch of lights and heavy tint.

The tipping point for me was the little bomb enemies towards the end. I think you are just supposed to run from them, but it just ended up being super annoying (pretty much was just backtracking every time one would pop out).

I did quite enjoy the mechanics and the style. Was ok with the 1 hit kill. But I feel like there's room for a little more forgiving a game with this melee style (along with stealth).

It took me about an hour and a half to figure those guys out. What you're supposed to do is get a bit close so they almost start their explosion, then jump and activate slow-mo to get out of the way quickly. I really didn't understand them at all and initially just ran away from them as best I could, but once I got the hang of it, they became tolerable.

I think it would've been fine if we had access to more ranged attacks (and perhaps make them faster to balance it out), but alas.

Still.. at least it's a damned pretty game.

Back