AMD will pay buyers of its Bulldozer and Piledriver CPUs up to $300

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: If you bought an AMD Bulldozer or Piledriver processor while living in California, or you purchased one of the CPUs directly from the company’s website, you can now submit a claim for up to $300 for each purchased processor.

Back in August, AMD agreed to pay $12.1 million in a class-action lawsuit settlement over false advertising. The company claimed its FX Bulldozer was the “first native eight-core desktop processor” in adverts, but in reality, each chip only had four “dual-core modules” that shared resources, including a single floating-point unit (FPU). AMD said the modules counted as two cores each, but customers disagreed as they couldn’t run separate processes.

A class action lawsuit was launched in 2015, and after a judge in January rejected AMD’s claim that customers would count cores the same way it did, the tech giant agreed to a $12.1 million settlement in August.

Those who bought one of the processors below, which were sold between 2011 and 2013, while living in California or direct from AMD.com could receive some money.

• AMD FX-8120
  • AMD FX-8150
  • AMD FX-8320
  • AMD FX-8350
  • AMD FX-8370
  • AMD FX-9370
  • AMD FX-9590

As is usually the case with class-action payments, those submitting a claim shouldn’t expect to receive the full $300, as the more people who apply, the less money each person gets. As noted by The Verge, lawyers will take 30 percent of the $12.1 million, the two plaintiffs will get $7,500 each, and settlement administration could reach $700,000. That would leave around 25,000 payments of the full $300.

If you want to submit a claim, you can apply here before January 3, 2020. You don’t need to supply proof of purchase just yet, unless you bought five or more of the CPUs.

The court will count the claims and decide the final terms of the payments on February 20, 2020.

Image credit: JHVEPhoto via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Well that rules out the majority of people. I don't know anyone who has or would ever buy directly from AMD.com when Newegg, Amazon, BHPhoto, Bestbuy, Microcenter, etc exist.

I wonder if AMD would consider providing a new Ryzen 2 processor instead? I don't really need the cash, but a new CPU...?

"while living in California or direct from AMD.com"
Well what the french toast!? How does that even make sense at all? Like rrwards said, how does this help the absolute majority of people who likely purchased these processors? A typical outcome anytime you involve the "law" .......they take most of the cake while taking years to reach a settlement. You know, because it's never the "end user" who get's F***** over by these giant corporations ........

Well what the french toast!? How does that even make sense at all? Like rrwards said, how does this help the absolute majority of people who likely purchased these processors? A typical outcome anytime you involve the "law" .......they take most of the cake while taking years to reach a settlement. You know, because it's never the "end user" who get's F***** over by these giant corporations ........
I checked the wording on the claim website and it said purchased "after visiting" AMD.com. Anyways, I submitted a claim and provided proof of purchase from Newegg.com. we'll see what happens.

"While living in CA"
This is because AMD is based in CA and the lawsuit is being heald at the US District Court of Northern California.

Description of the nationwide "Class" per most recent copy of the recorded Complaint

"CLASS ALLEGATIONS
66.Plaintiffs Dickey and Parmer bring this action pursuant to Federal Rule of CivilProcedure 23(b)(2) and Rule 23(b)(3) on behalf of themselves and a national Class of similarly situated individuals (the “Nationwide Class”) defined as follows:

All individuals in the United States that purchased an AMD Bulldozer processor after viewing and relying upon the description provided on that processor’s respective AMD webpage, including: (List of CPUs)"

Per the official Complaint

CLASS ALLEGATIONS
66. Plaintiffs Dickey and Parmer bring this action pursuant to Federal Rule of civil procedure 23(b)(2) and Rule 23(b)(3) on behalf of themselves and a national Class of similarly situated individuals (the “Nationwide Class”) defined as follows:

**All individuals in the United States that purchased an AMD Bulldozer processor after viewing and relying upon the description provided on that processor’s respective AMD webpage**

I assume the system builders like iBuyPower/Cyberpower/Dell/HP/Lenovo/etc are excluded from this (hopefully!) Otherwise I will be waiting for my check that is for less than the stamp it cost to mail lol

Back