AMD XP or AMD 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_pavon

Hello everyone!... it's good to count with such a professional advice, good job to you all!

My main concern is about upgrading my system:
Abit NF7
AMD 2700XP
Markvision 1gb DDR333

I want boost it up, was planing on buying AMD3200XP and 2 X 512 DDR400.... but it all adds up to over $300.00, and I'm not sure I'll get the boost (speed) I'm looking for over $300.

Some one told me I'm better off buying just a new mobo and an AMD64 processor..... two reasons: one, I would see the boost I'm looking for and two, it would be a lot cheaper cause I could use the same ram I already own cause of the integraded on chip FSB of the AMD64 processors..... is that true?.... if so, what mobo and cpu would you highly recommend?..... I'm I set with the ram I own?............. suggestions very welcome!

Thanx in advance..... PS: What does integrated FSB means?

If you get an Athlon64 now, you can still use your PC2700 Ram on it, but the Athlon64 needs PC3200 to express its full potential. & remember that if you mix Ram speeds they will all clock to the slowest of the bunch.

The Athlon64 does not have an FSB. The FSB is what connects the CPU to the Northbridge. With the AthlonXP & Pentium, the FSB was used to access memory through the Northbridge as well as AGP & all devices connected to the Southbridge (IDE, SATA, PCI, etc.). With the Athlon64, the memory is connected directly to the CPU, no need to go through the Northbridge, the CPU also has a HyperTransport link connecting it with the Northbridge to communicate with the rest of the devices (AGP, IDE, SATA, etc.).

It's true that you'll see a bigger speed increase by getting an Athlon64 3000+ then you would by getting an AthlonXP 3200+ for example. Just make sure you have a good enough power supply (almost all Athlon64 motherboards require the extra +12v SU connector introduced with the Pentium 4).

Thanx Didou for your post, I appreciate your advice.... I just have a few gaps I would like to fill.....

If I keep my current 1gb ddr333 ram, will I still feel the new processor speed over my actual system?... I'm pretty sure I would be getting new ram later on, as for right now due to my budget I have to stick with this one.

What mobo and cpu would you recommend?, I was thinking Abit KV8 or AV8 but concerning the diferent types of processors I get very confused.... I really want to get the best bang for my bucks and still dont feel like I'm getting last place of the AMD64's....... how does Abit KV8 & Amd64 3000 2.0ghz newcastle core sound?...... I don't think I'll be able to go over $250.00.

Once again!, Thx 4 U'r time!

The Asus K8N or the MSI K8N Neo are good bargains. I tend to prefer nForce boards especially since they're the only ones to have an AGP/PCI lock out of the box (in case you're considering a little overclocking).

MrGaribaldi is currently running his Athlon64 3000+ with PC2700 Ram & the performance increase from his previous AthlonXP 2500+ is still evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back