Amex Digital intros tiny 1080p media player

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Amex Digital has introduced what it says is the world's smallest 1080p media player, the MP-501. The gloss-coated device measures a discrete 175mm x 128mm x 15mm (around 6.8 x 5 x 0.6 inches) and weighs 250 grams, but still packs the basic functionality of larger media players.

The MP-501 is powered by an ARM Cortex-A8 processor and it seems to be compatible with seemingly every major media file, including MP3, WAV, WMA, FLAC, OGG, AC3, JPEG, GIF, TIF, BMP, PNG, AVI, MPEG, VOB, MKV, as well as playlists and subtitles. Supported drive formats include FAT32, NTFS, and HFS+.

The front has an SD card slot and a standard USB 2.0 port, allowing you to attach portable storage devices, while the rear is populated with HDMI and composite audio/video outputs, as well as a mini USB port. There doesn't seem to be any network connectivity, but that's forgivable with a $49 price tag. No word on when or where it'll ship.

Permalink to story.

That's quite a small size. On another note does it resemble a folded nintendo ds lite or is it just me?

Wow at $50 that is pretty incredible, considering it's basically half the Patriot Box Office Media Player that was reviewed last week (no network connectivity x2, no internal bay and actually half the price ). If it turns out to be good I may have to get one. =o

Looks perfect for users with limited space or who are likely to be careless - kiddies in the back seat during drives, patients during extended treatment cycles like dialysis, in boring need-a-warm-body jobs like parking lot booths during slow periods - uses like that. For $50, it might not appeal to high end gadget hounds but there should be a hefty market for them in Target stores and other such low-end vendors of semi-disposable crap. I wouldn't worry about letting our grandkids use them during vacation visits or long car trips, either, so at that price we'll probably get one just to have it on hand.

How does it not move when it's that small? Most cheap HDMI cables would tug on this thing because the jackets are so hard.

Back