An issue with error screen installing XP Home Edition first time new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillAllen55

It is difficult for me to understand why it is that in a forum such as this there is NOT ONE person that can give specific advice as to how to deal with an issue with error screen installing XP Home Edition first time new build.

I have folks suggesting that I should access the internet and 'google' the issue.
(as if I haven't spent easily 40 hours doing this already)
I have people suggesting that I buy hardware. (thumb drives) others that insist that slip streaming is the answer.

Problem: After installing the system (listed in my profile) I attempt to load my Windows XP home edition.
After it goes through asking if I need to hit F6 to install raid or sata drivers) clicking on yes as I have the drivers from newly installed motherboard) It then goes to loading necessary generic drivers then go to the screen where it reads "Starting Windows" It then will unceremoniously advise the install has shut down to protect all hardware components.

inside the BSOD I have a file name on the bottom of the screen titled: pci.sys

I know it must be great fun on here to send out one liners to answers folks questions.
I'm also aware that this may be a trial and error type of issue that 'might' require some thinking with some of you that have been in the system building for years on end.
Sure would appreciate some of your expertise.

Thanks.

Can you point us to the other thread? Don't want to ask the same questions :)

What is the make and model of your power supply?
What Optical drive/ s do you have?
Have you updated the BIOS to the latest available?

Hardware issues are not easy to troubleshoot specially over a screen!
With the P45 and E8000 series as well as your very good choice of RAM, we need to make sure the BIOS is up to date and BIOS settings are correct for your config then there is a question of good clean power to the system.

I have had more issues with DDRII boards than any other systems I have been building since early 90s, there are many things to check and it is easier for us builders since we can swap parts and then get on to finding what caused the other good part not to work as spected.

Computer systems are not like ... let's say dryers where you can say, if it is not that then it has to be this and you're done with it, there are many many different configurations given the different components available, on top of that, we have to assume the system was put together properly (everyone has their own way) with no damage on the motherboard during CPU and heat sink installation, placement of the standoffs, minor shorts, choice of power supply and I can go on, most people take it hard when you ask if they built it right.

In your case, I have seen many issues with the E8000 series and some motherboards, usually not Intel based chipsets though, but I had 2 ... let's say E8500s with different steppings, one worked with no problems, the other, either no post ar crashes during setup.

What is the SSpec on your CPU, need to check the stepping against your chipset and BIOS rev!

Let us know..

I'm not exactly sure specifically what you are asking for. I have all the specs that I'm aware of in my profile. I'm not sure where to find the 'stepping' I think that has to do with when the board was built. I'm happy to hear if I have installed something incorrectly. (I'm a big boy) :) The BIOS was one thing that DID go right directly after installation I went to the intel site to find the CORRECT BIOS section downloaded the updated BIOS. After using the BIOS update program provided by the Gigabyte motherboard, The program feedback was that the update had been correctly installed. earlier thread inquiries include these questions I should point out another message that came up as part of the BSOD result. That being on the bottom of the screen had a driver/file list as pci.sys. with no other explanation added.
(pci-E)???? My Graphics Card uses the PCI-E slot.
Help Needed with a New Build
A problen has been detected

Thank you for allowing my ranting on the first request. Will appreciate whatever time you have to spend on this frustrating problem.
On my way to work to relax!

I don't see any inforamtion about the power supply you have in your system and no info on the CD or DVD drive.

The BIOS update should have been checked for and downloaded at GIGABYTE's site not Intel, Intel did not build your board Gigabyte did, right?
But sounds like you got the right one?!

One other question, where have you connected the hard drive and DVD drive to on the motherboard? There are purple (I think) SATA connectors on the motherboard that should not be used unless with eSATA or hot swap backup thnigamagics.

If you still have the CPU box, there should be a sSpec that starts with S, yours might be SLAPK. With C0 Core Stepping (not saying it is good or bad)

Your CPU setting should be 9.5 X 333MHz (DDRII 667)

EDIT now I'm not sure about the BIOS update, any files you got from Intel's site should've not worked with your board even when using Gigabyte's flash utility, do you remeber the file name for the BIOS update image?

I just saw your other thread, you should have stayed with that one if you don't mind me saying so.

SATA drivers have to be obtained from your motherboard manufacturer and nowhere else unles you know what controller is on your motherboard and where to get it yourself.

I believe this would be an easy things based on your text, you said you are a big boy, so here it is, I love for everyone with little or even no knowledge to build their own systems, that's how everyone learns. Reading your posts shows, you are just learning which is fine but makes our job a lot harder with you not being able to commuinicate the sittuation (you are trying hard and have done a great job but not with all posts)

Most recent motherboards including yours, DO NOT require F6 for quite sometime now just the BIOS settings, I will look at your BIOS (have the manual) and suggest settings

See, you looked in Intel's site for a BIOS update for a Gigabyte motherboard, this is a NO NO, you are also looking at WD for SATA drivers, they might be able to include all SATA, RAID drivers for all possible operating systems,
Gigabyte designed and built your board, for many different reason, they choosed to go with certain SATA controller (could be more than one type of controller on a motherboard) may be Silicon had a special on their controller and they ordered 100,000 chips from them, you might get another exact board from them with a new rev. and another controller all together.

It is the responsibility and the job of the motherboard maker to provide all drivers and updates for everything that they put on that board.

WD has no idea whatsoever what you re going to do with your drive, is it going to go in an external case, aPVR, ASUS motherboard, Gigabyte motherboard, is he going to install XP 32bit or 64bit, may be Linux ... you get the point.

Working at a Learning Curve

The BIOS update should have been checked for and downloaded at GIGABYTE's site not Intel, Intel did not build your board Gigabyte did, right?
But sounds like you got the right one?!.

Thank you for your fine feedback. I appreciate your straightforward approach and will do all I can to learn from one that obviously has an interest in providing clearly written understandable computer knowledge.
You hit the nail on the head when saying you believe I may have limited knowledge or none regarding new system builds.
I appreciate one that is able to cut through all attitude and provide feedback relevant to the subject. THANK YOU for your excellent assistance.

The bios update was taken from the Gigabyte website.
This was the first thing I did was to use the automatic flash bios provided by Gigabyte.
After installing the floppy disk BIOS update I recieved the message the update had been positively received.
Does that mean I provided the motherboard with the correct BIOS version?
Can you tell me what version of BIOS my motherboard needs?

How would I go about determing if I have the correct BIOS installed?

One other question, where have you connected the hard drive and DVD drive to on the motherboard? There are purple (I think) SATA connectors on the motherboard that should not be used unless with eSATA or hot swap backup thnigamagics.
I do not show purple sata connectors, all of my sata connectors are yellow. The number on the MB of the sata connector is #3 that has the dvd plugged into it. #5 sata connector has the harddrive plugged in. Were you to be looking at the motherboard with the CPU in the most Northern area the sata connectors I'm using are at the farthest South of the CPU. #3 is on the left #5 being to the right. I have two other connectors directly above #3, and #5. North of #3, 5. (a group of four)

If you still have the CPU box, there should be a sSpec that starts with S, yours might be SLAPK. With C0 Core Stepping (not saying it is good or bad)
My sSpec designation reads: SLB9K.
I don't see anything that makes reference to a Core Stepping. After the sSpec listing directly across from the sPec listing I have this
Freq. 3.16 Ghz
FSB 1333 MHz
Core 45 nm
L2 Cache 6MB
Socket LGA 775
PCG 06

Your CPU setting should be 9.5 X 333MHz (DDRII 667)

I don't have any idea what this means as I don't know anything about modifying settings in the BIOS.
What should I look for when attempting to modify the settings?
What is the reference point for this modification?

This is info that I believe may reflect the BIOS version used:
[version]
CatalogFile=iaStor.cat
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=SCSIAdapter
ClassGUID={4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=%INTEL%
DriverVer=07/20/2008,8.5.0.1032

SATA drivers have to be obtained from your motherboard manufacturer and nowhere else unles you know what controller is on your motherboard and where to get it yourself.
I went to the Gigabyte Website found the exact motherboard that I am using and downloaded the Sata drivers from that point.
I'm sorry if I mislead you thinking I had gone elsewhere to download the Sata drives for the motherboard.

Most recent motherboards including yours, DO NOT require F6 for quite sometime now just the BIOS settings, I will look at your BIOS (have the manual) and suggest settings

I'm not accustomed to making adjustments to the BIOS settings. I would appreciate careful explanation (just as you have in previous explanations) regarding how to go about the potential adjustments.

I'm using an Older XP Home Edition OS. (possibly 5-6 years old.) I'm wondering if this would have any bearing on error messages?
Do you believe this OS would require slipstreaming the MS service packs?

I hope this post has provided necessary feedback to assist with this transitional learning curve that I obviously need. I do appreciate all of your time.

Checking the BIOS settings after writing you, I found the mentioned CPU reference to be correct at 9.5 x 333 MHZ

The reference to the DDRII shows this number as being grayed out with the number 800 as the frequency. I'm understanding from your post this number should be 667 as the frequency is this correct?
How am I to go about adjusting the grayed out number?

THANK you for telling it just as it is. Whatever further feedback or opinions you may have will be greatly and positively received Thanks again.

Latest BIOS should be F8 dated 2008/09/30.

Move your hard drive to SATA 1 and leave the optical drive on SATA 3.

Both flavour of E8500 are supported by your board since BIOS F3 according to Gigabyte, I have seen same information from other manufacturers not hold true.

You have the E0 stepping, since it is Intel based chipset, I'm not as worried with the stepping as I would've been with other chipsets.

Your RAM running at 800MHz DDRII is OK, we leave that alone for now.

After you flashed your BIOS, you should have entered BIOS Setup and loaded the defaults at the least, for SATA, you have to make sure the controler is not set to RAID in the BIOS, no need to press F6 with your board for noraml drive setup.

I'll have a look at the BIOS screenshots in the manual and get back with suggestions before I leave for the weekend I hope.

EDIT: I forgot the SP3 part, you should download SP3 and use nLite to slipstream, at the same time, you can easily add the SATA/ RAID drivers with a couple key strokes, it is simple with lot of help, guides from their site as well as members here.

I've tried to manage slipstream putting sp3 downloaded onto my home edition xp.
It asks after putting all data together that I go to the command 'run' and type 'integrate'
when I do this I get the message stating that is not a recognizable command.
Is this due to the early XP home edition?
I will work with the suggestions you have made. Thanks once again for your time.
it is greatly appreciated.

In order to do it manually, you need to be very careful and make sure you follow each step word by word, a small typo could give errors.

Use nLite, install then run it, put your XP CD in your CD-ROM drive (close the box that comes up after you put the CD in)
Select your language, click Next
Use "browse" and select your CD drive, nLite will take a few seconds to ID the CD
Click Next, leave the Presets screen blank and click Next
Select Service Pack and Bootable ISO, click Next
Cick "Select" and browse to the SP3 file, as soon as you select the SP3, it should start slipstreaming, wait for the "Integrated install has completed successfully" message and click OK then Next.
Now you can click on Make ISO and you're done, you can also change the Lable to something that you know what the ISO is, like XPHSP3 or wahtever.
Then find the ISO and burn,

After you get used to nLite, you can use it's other tools.

Correction: connect the SATA hard drive to the SATA port #2, your DVD drive to port #4.

Re-start, press the <Delete> key to enter BIOS Setup
Use the directional keys and highlight "Load Optimized Defaults" (or press F7)
Press <Enter> on this item and then press the <Y> key to load the optimal BIOS default settings. The BIOS defaults settings helps the system to operate in optimum state. Always load the Optimized defaults after updating the BIOS or after clearing the CMOS values.

Go to the "Integrated Peripherals" section and press Enter

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode leave at Disabled (like to set to AHCI but leave it disabled for now)
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode has to be enabled for XP to see your drive, with this option set to enabled, you don't press the F6 key during XP setup.

Press F10 to save and re-boot.

There are few other values that needs to be changed but they are not important for now.

Your board calls for an 8pin 12V, still don't know what power supply you have, but let's make that XP Sp3, with the changes to the BIOS and see how the XP setup rolls.

Mr Sharam,
I wanted to write you this note letting you know I'm writing it on the machine that you assisted in setting up. After re-reading some of my other threads I feel so fortunate that you picked this lost cause and helped. I have other questions and parts of the install I would like to ask about. But for now, I'll close again THANKS for your help

In Love with my new Machine!

Latest BIOS should be F8 dated 2008/09/30.

I thought it was strange that I had mistakenly chose the incorrect BIOS version.
so I went back to the Gigabyte website to check it out. I chose the incorrect BIOS but am not sure WHY it was incorrect.
You advised that I should install the F8 version of the BIOS, I noticed at the time I downloaded it - it was designed for Vista???? I chose the BIOS version one down on the same page F8 thinking that my machine was not designed for Vista.
My Question is how 'does' one determine specifically why version of BIOS to use?
I thought I had gone through all of the checks from model of MB to the rev. ect.
How would one know moving forward what to look for when searching for a correct BIOS?

You have the E0 stepping, since it is Intel based chipset, I'm not as worried with the stepping as I would've been with other chipsets.

I believe 'stepping' has something to do with the revisions of the original board. Is it important to know the stepping order to access the correct BIOS?

Your RAM running at 800MHz DDRII is OK, we leave that alone for now

Will there come a time that the RAM memory speed should be adjusted?

I'll have a look at the BIOS screenshots in the manual and get back with suggestions before I leave for the weekend I hope.

The machine is up and running thanks to you. I think initially you said you thought it was great when one takes on a project such as this as it is fun to teach. Well after following your direction I understand why you enjoy the teaching.

EDIT: I forgot the SP3 part, you should download SP3 and use nLite to slipstream, at the same time, you can easily add the SATA/ RAID drivers with a couple key strokes, it is simple with lot of help, guides from their site as well as members here.

I never was able to get all three the SP3 XP OS and the MB drivers on one slipstream. suffice it to say did not matter as I now have all installed.
Look forward to more instruction.

I'm curious as to know what if any types of adjustment I should be making to the BIOS settings?
I'm not interested in overclocking the machine. I'm interested in the best performance it has to off in its most natural state.
Can you give me suggestions as to any adjustments that might be made to reach this level?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Glad to hear you're up and running on the new build! Great job, how is it running?

I always grab the latest BIOS, as long as it is for "my" board. The latest BIOS has all the fixes since the original release, even if it doesn't address any current issue. Any motherboard can take many different OSes, applying a patch meant to address an issue with another OS, doesn't mean you have to be running that OS but the board would have all the latest fixes.

No one needs to worry about stepping, certain CPUs with different stepping respond differently to an overclock, you have an Intel chipset with an Intel CPU, you are fine. If you were an overclocker or had an Nvidia based chipset, then yes, since Intel didn't share all the White Papers with Nvidia for certain cores, there has been issues with certain CPUs with different steppings on 680i, 780i ....

One of the BIOS releases claimes the board will run the memory at 1333MHz if the module is capable, so, yes, you might upgrade the memory in the future to gain performance. G-Skill modules overclock well, but there are many different models. Once you read more, you can play around with timings and /or speed when you understand the importance of increasing or lowering values in small increments to find the stable settings.

I never put motherboard drivers on an XP CD, all you needed to do was slipstream SP3 and may be add the SATA/ RAID drivers. When I buy a new toy, I never use the CD for drivers even if it was released last month, I always check for the latest drivers from the manufacturere's site, and from that point on, as soon as there is a new driver or update for any component, I apply it but that`s me! business use is a different story.

The best for your setup is if your memory ran at 1333MHz same as your CPU's internal frequency, I believe less than 5 systems out of 10, run RAM and CPU in sync.

You've got to use the system a bit and then read more if you have interest in understanding, then, start playing around with settings. Only changes in the BIOS that I would recommend now, are the basics, boot order, Disabling COM ports if not used, the Parallel port, floppy drive, USB legacy support, setting PnP OS to NO and checking the temperatures and voltages from time to time.

Glad to hear you're up and running on the new build! Great job, how is it running?
My system is running because you were here to assist one that did not have a clue what he was getting into back in December when sharing with his wife he felt he needed a new system.
Mr Sharam THANK YOU for taking the time to assist. I was imagining taking the system to a computer shop with red face displayed advising I had not purchased the system from them but would they please fix the machine.
You saved me from this embarrassment. The machine is an incredible testament to technologies advancements. Truly amazing!

The best for your setup is if your memory ran at 1333MHz same as your CPU's internal frequency, I believe less than 5 systems out of 10, run RAM and CPU in sync.

My memory as you know has a speed of 800 mhz. Are you saying I should change the speed in the BIOS to 1333 mhz?
I don't understand what it means when you say 'if' my memory ran at 1333mhz. Are you talking about the memory that is currently in the system or if I were to purchase faster memory it would be better? is there a way to change the speed of the memory, if so what is the BIOS setting I would look for to make such a change?

Thanks again Mr Sharam.

I was trying to make it clear that most builds run CPU and Memory at different speeds which is just fine.

You should leave your RAM at what it is and only try different values once you feel comfortable, you have to be able to "spot" problems with higher speed and faster timings, it might take you hours or days to find the best stable settings for your specific configuration.

Enjoy your new build, I'm sure it is fast the way it is and the memory speed change will not make a noticable difference as in day and night for you.

Keep us posted how things run in a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back