Analyzing Graphics Card Pricing: July 2018

Yeah these are still bad prices really. At this point I’m not going to bother until new stuff is out. I’m prepared to wait till next year if I have to.

Also the U.K. is a bit different to the prices listed here, Nvidia cards are back to MSRP or lower than the best price shown here but AMD cards still carry a bit of price inflation. If you can even find them, the local retailer to me (Novatech, actually a large Retailer who ship all over the UK) isn’t bothering with Vega at all and is not listed and have had incredibly limited RX 580 stock over the last 12 months.

Hey guys, great news! One and two year old graphics cards are almost back to their already expensive retail launch prices. Woohoo!

Exactly, I bought my Gigabyte Extreme Gaming GTX 1080 for 729.00 CDN in march more than a year ago.retarded if ya think I would pay anywhere near that today. and that model is no where to be seen anyway.a big resounding FACK NO! . not a chance in HELL! YGFUUY#$%^&*&)*IOUTI&F*^&%, and a whole bunch of other comments that I know would and should be edited.Also with the state of Gaming with DLC ,pay to play ,Pay to win ,Lootboxes. cheaters ETC, ETC, I'm so close to giving up on it all together .its SAD to think about it .and I'm one of those that allways bought high end cards in 2's and 3's.been taken for granted we have ,it's time we all took a stand ,and left the manufacturers stuck with boat loads of stock. so they realise ,we are in control.of the markets not them.I may skip several generations this time around,wait until they are trying to give them away.. I'll continue my rant in game or off line. thanks anyway. great article ,touchy subject Tim..:p

"at this point in the release cycle these one or even two year old graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia should be well under their launch price"
Agreed, so I expect continuing downward trend. I'm still unclear as to whether the memory prices really effect pricing - I always thought manufacturers' markup at 100% or more.

No doubt Nvidia and AMD will want to control the cycle with no new releases until they have to. The pricing surge due to crypto was not expected and surely as with any other business, if you can make more profit thanks to external factors you simply try to make the most of it.

With that said, hopefully we'll eventually benefit in a couple of ways:

1) more money to R&D/next-gen graphics development due to better margins and more uses for GPUs (that was already happening before crypto, now it's further emphasized)

2) a ton of used GPU inventory or potential bargains on older GPUs in the coming year or so, if there's no big jump in crypto pricing again

I remember, in may 2017, the Zotac GTX 1070 mini was on sale for $320 on Amazon. I couldn't wait any longer and had to settle for a $399 Gigabyte version last month to replace my GTX 960. I agree with others that the price is still high but if you can no longer wait, there is no other choice. Vega is not really an option either because the availability is so low so there is not really any competition for the GTX 1070 card.

To those looking for a rx 580 / gtx 1060 card for 1080p: there are a couple rx 580 4g cards selling for $230/$240 right now, which make them an even better deal than the 8g versions (4g vram is plenty for 1080p is nearly all cases). You can find them via pcpp's search function.

Cool.

Two year-plus cards are almost back to full MSRP.

Maybe at the 2.5 year mark or even the 3 year mark, we can be at full retail? And we're still waiting on cards that can do 60 FPS at 4K and ultra settings?

PC gaming: Years later, charging you the same price or more.

Cool.

Because of POS miners I'm rocking at RX560 instead of a RX570. I'm happy with the card but with my PC crapping out at the worst time it was the only card available.

Yeah these are still bad prices really. At this point I’m not going to bother until new stuff is out. I’m prepared to wait till next year if I have to.

Also the U.K. is a bit different to the prices listed here, Nvidia cards are back to MSRP or lower than the best price shown here but AMD cards still carry a bit of price inflation. If you can even find them, the local retailer to me (Novatech, actually a large Retailer who ship all over the UK) isn’t bothering with Vega at all and is not listed and have had incredibly limited RX 580 stock over the last 12 months.

Same goes for us folks in Canada; with the Canadian dollar being at such an all time low, prices for either an RX 580 8 GB or a GTX 1070 8 GB are still well above MSRP - an RX 580 is a minimum $380, and a GTX 1070 is a minimum $545, which works out to $85 and $58 (respectively) above MSRP.

I'm so glad I bought my GTX 1070 back in early 2017, prior to the prices getting stupidly out of hand.

I still expect the release prices on the next gen cards to be record high. Nvidia's 80 tier card for example, probably at least 1k at release.

Hey guys, great news! One and two year old graphics cards are almost back to their already expensive retail launch prices. Woohoo!

Exactly, I bought my Gigabyte Extreme Gaming GTX 1080 for 729.00 CDN in march more than a year ago.retarded if ya think I would pay anywhere near that today. and that model is no where to be seen anyway.a big resounding FACK NO! . not a chance in HELL! YGFUUY#$%^&*&)*IOUTI&F*^&%, and a whole bunch of other comments that I know would and should be edited.Also with the state of Gaming with DLC ,pay to play ,Pay to win ,Lootboxes. cheaters ETC, ETC, I'm so close to giving up on it all together .its SAD to think about it .and I'm one of those that allways bought high end cards in 2's and 3's.been taken for granted we have ,it's time we all took a stand ,and left the manufacturers stuck with boat loads of stock. so they realise ,we are in control.of the markets not them.I may skip several generations this time around,wait until they are trying to give them away.. I'll continue my rant in game or off line. thanks anyway. great article ,touchy subject Tim..:p

Well, I'm still with my Saphire R9 380 ITX, and still holding off to this madness that's been happening the last 2 years. Was trying to get a new card but scrapped those plans until they decide to release anything new.

No doubt Nvidia and AMD will want to control the cycle with no new releases until they have to. The pricing surge due to crypto was not expected and surely as with any other business, if you can make more profit thanks to external factors you simply try to make the most of it.

With that said, hopefully we'll eventually benefit in a couple of ways:

1) more money to R&D/next-gen graphics development due to better margins and more uses for GPUs (that was already happening before crypto, now it's further emphasized)

2) a ton of used GPU inventory or potential bargains on older GPUs in the coming year or so, if there's no big jump in crypto pricing again

I hope the number 2 happens!!

Am I the only one who expects a big dump by cryptominers of GPU's in the next year? Since mining is slowing rapidly it would be in their best interest to sell those cards before they devalue fast in the face of a new generation.

Am I the only one who expects a big dump by cryptominers of GPU's in the next year? Since mining is slowing rapidly it would be in their best interest to sell those cards before they devalue fast in the face of a new generation.
Next year? The dumping is already happening, and that thanks to Ethereum's price downtrend. However, bitcoin mining is increasing rapidly despite the price, and the cryptocurrencies market is starting to recover.

Although I live, eat, work, sleep cryptocurrencies, I hope they stay down until well after new GPUs are released.

I've been running my own version of this article in my head for the past year or so. I want to build out a triple monitor racing rig and I'm stuck on a GTX 660 that is prone to crashing at the worst time. So add in the complexity of Free/G sync in top of that. I want to go AMD to save on the G Sync mark up but I feel like I should just go with a mid range card and a couple of bargain monitors until the high end makes sense. P.S. cryptocurrencies can't die fast enough.

I'm still rocking a GTX 980 screw these massively inflated prices. Will probably wait until it dies before buying a new card now.

Lucky me that I purchased a RX Vega 64 Water Cooled one at retail price of $699 at the end of October, all before it became an expensive luxury over $1400 later.

Back