Android 13 virtualization runs Windows 11 on a Google Pixel 6

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: The recently launched Android 13 developer preview seems to bring an enhanced ability to run virtual machines. One user pushes that to the limit by running Microsoft’s latest desktop operating system on a smartphone.

Over the weekend, Android and web developer kdrag0n demonstrated a virtualized Windows 11 running on a Google Pixel 6 phone. They accomplished the feat using the Android 13 preview build with a new feature called KVM.

With screenshots and a short video, kdrag0n shows off things like the task manager and a web browser, which seem entirely functional. They even managed to run Doom (using the chocolate Doom source port), playing with a physical keyboard connected to the phone.

Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) is a virtualization tool that already supports Linux, according to blogger Mishaal Rahman. Google is bringing KVM to Android with Android 13. Android users have been running virtual machines for a while. However, the methods for doing so are becoming fragmented, and Google will use KVM to standardize the process and stave off kernel fragmentation. Google calls its version "protected KVM" (pKVM), as it's supposed to be more secure.

The Android 13 developer preview launched last week. It promises new features like language preferences and increased privacy when dealing with photos or apps. Beta releases are expected in the spring, stable releases in the summer, and a full launch later this year.

Permalink to story.

This might actually make some of the high end tablets like the ones Samsung makes a bit more viable as windows laptop replacement: I would probably be more ok with a high end tablet as a laptop replacement if I could run a basic windows instance for some of the apps you can't get supported on a mobile OS like Android.

And yes this can include at least some basic 3D or indie/2D games: there's no reason most of the Steam library that's easily playable on integrated intel graphics can't run this way on tablets.

And yet I have two Laptops that I can't get Windows11 to work on because I have a problem with their Intel CPUs and yet you can get a Google product that works with Windows11??? Umm why? And I paid for one Windows10 !!! and can't use Windows11 am I being paranoid lol, so shall I buy a cheaper Android tablet than a more expensive Laptop with a Intel chipset?? That's all I can see the outcome of this new version of Android!!

Back