Android 9 Pie is finally arriving on Samsung devices

Polycount

Staff

Samsung has always been known for rolling out Android updates to their customers slower than many of their competitors. Indeed, despite Android's latest version -- Pie -- launching way back in August, as Android Police notes, Samsung is only just now pushing the update out to its US users.

And when we say "users," we mean a very small fraction of users - Xfinity Mobile customers, in particular. If you use any other carrier with your Samsung device, you're still going to have to wait a couple more weeks to get your hands on Pie.

For the unaware, Android's latest update shifts its focus towards artificial intelligence, enabling users' phones to learn from their habits and adapt to their needs more efficiently than before.

To name one example, "Adaptive Brightness" uses your previous usage habits to automatically tweak your phone's brightness at opportune times to conserve battery.

Android Pie also features a brand-new app navigation system, which resembles what you might see in Apple's latest iOS updates. Instead of using hardware or software buttons to shift between active apps, Android Pie users can simple swipe up from the bottom to see all open software.

Specific features aside, we should note that only the past couple of Samsung device generations will be receiving the latest Android update. Galaxy Note 9, S9, and S9+ users will receive Pie over the next few days, while Note 8, S8, and S8+ owners will get it sometime in February or March.

Samsung's latest update, dubbed G960USQU3CSAB, will also include Samsung's refreshed "One UI" Android skin; which includes a few unique features of its own.

Permalink to story.

I got Android 9 on my unlocked Nokia 8 in the UK last Wednesday and have had no issues with it at all, £300 well spent...

Its Samsung's problem, Oneplus rolled out Pie last September.
I’d argue that it's the users problem actually. Samsung offer quite awful update support and yet sell millions of devices anyway so I can’t see them making a better effort. I don’t think google care about devices they don’t sell.

I’d argue that it's the users problem actually. Samsung offer quite awful update support and yet sell millions of devices anyway so I can’t see them making a better effort. I don’t think google care about devices they don’t sell.
Android is open source so its free to use. All Google cares is that if 3rd party brands include all the stock Google apps, Google is set as the default search engine, search bar and Play Store are properly placed, etc. Ensuring updates are delivered on time is the 3rd party brand's responsibility, something Google has no control over.

Android is open source so its free to use. All Google cares is that if 3rd party brands include all the stock Google apps, Google is set as the default search engine, search bar and Play Store are properly placed, etc. Ensuring updates are delivered on time is the 3rd party brand's responsibility, something Google has no control over.
Android is open source but most of the google apps that run on it are not. If anyone is in a position to make manufacturers update their devices it’s google. We know the manufacturers aren’t interested so it would be nice if Google could weigh in. Although I do wonder if Google see a future for Android, they have already stopped supporting Android for tablets.

Back