Android apps used by millions vulnerable to data theft

Jos

Staff

Security researchers at the Leibniz University of Hanover have released a study showing that more than 1,000 legitimate Android apps, out of a sample of 13,500 popular apps from the Google Play market, contain inadequate SSL protections that could leave them vulnerable to Man-in-the-Middle attacks.

The apps in question contained SSL specific code that either accepts all certificates or all hostnames for a certificate. This meant that when running over a vulnerable local area network, such as a Wi-Fi hotspot, researchers were able to use certificates that were signed by themselves or by no longer valid authorities, instead of a valid certificate authority, authorizing a domain name other than the one the app was accessing.

When manually testing a subset of 100 apps, researchers were able to get valuable data out of 41 apps, from login details for online bank accounts, to email services and social media sites. They were even able to inject virus signatures into an antivirus app to detect other apps as a virus or disable detection.

The study didn't explicitly mention the vulnerable programs beyond saying that they have been downloaded from 39.5 and 185 million times, based on Google data. Three of them had an install base of 10 to 50 million.

Poor implementation of encryption protocols by app developers is to blame, so while the study didn’t test the security of apps available for Apple’s iOS or other platforms, some of them could be exposed to the same flaws if they are not discovered in the app approval process.

Permalink to story.

Lets be honest here, if someone wanted to illegally obtain data from a cell phone and they were good at what they do, it wouldn't matter what app they used. Plain & simple the apps should not have any access to internal information on the phone other than the hardware & OS setup. I know there are exceptions for "Text messaging apps" but people download games which prompt you to give them access to nearly ALL your phone information. That shouldn't even be legal, why would a game app need to record the actions that I take on my phone? Because mass data sells.

This article seems like one of many targeted towards anti-Android, I'm sure the Apple Store has 110% protected apps that NO ONE can break into...right?

So basically, a group of security experts hacked into a phone on an unsecured Wifi connection.

::Claps::

Where were the iPhones to test this on?

Back