Android Auto is getting a streamlined interface, dark mode, and improved features this...

Polycount

TS Evangelist
Staff member

Google's Android Auto software (which is effectively Android for your car) is about to get much better. During Google's I/O 2019 developer conference, it unveiled Android Auto's new look, as well as the platform's improved communication, navigation, and background app features.

For those who prefer darker environments in their cars -- perhaps you take a lot of late-night road trips -- there's some good news: Google will be bringing a Dark Mode feature to Auto, which will shift the interface's colors to various shades of black. In theory, this should make Auto considerably easier on the eyes.

In addition to Dark Mode, Auto is getting a few other design-related tweaks, such as new fonts and new button icons. Furthermore, the navigation bar is getting overhauled - it's now much more "dynamic," allowing background apps to take advantage of some of its free space for specific tasks. For example, if you have a navigation app open but Spotify is playing in the background, the bottom bar will contain audio playback controls.

Similarly, if you have Spotify open but map navigation in the background, you'll see a brief blurb telling you the direction of your next turn, how far away it is, and what road you'll be turning onto.

Google is also promising a more seamless experience; at least for those who use Android Auto from their phones. Now, if you get out of your car to get groceries and then return an hour later, your phone will automatically start playing your music again and open up your "navigation app of choice" when you plug it back in.

These Android Auto improvements are set to launch sometime this summer, but a specific release date has not been announced yet.

Permalink to story.

Danny101

TS Guru
I would like to see a radar overlay with Google Maps or with any driving app. I would often use both Google Maps and a radar app while driving. Using both is a heavy strain on resources. I haven't used Android Auto yet, so it might improve that issue. Weather is an important asoect while driving. Especially during severe weather season.

Steveb8189

TS Booster
I would like to see a radar overlay with Google Maps or with any driving app. I would often use both Google Maps and a radar app while driving. Using both is a heavy strain on resources. I haven't used Android Auto yet, so it might improve that issue. Weather is an important asoect while driving. Especially during severe weather season.
Where do you live that you plan how you're going to drive a route based on the weather? Certainly in the UK I find it easiest to just look out of the window and adjust my driving to the actual conditions outside

Burty117

TechSpot Chancellor
Where do you live that you plan how you're going to drive a route based on the weather? Certainly in the UK I find it easiest to just look out of the window and adjust my driving to the actual conditions outside
The weather is so extreme where they live that they can't see 2 feet in front of the car and therefore require f*cking radar so they can dodge the worst of the storms XD

Danny101

TS Guru
The weather is so extreme where they live that they can't see 2 feet in front of the car and therefore require f*cking radar so they can dodge the worst of the storms XD
Lol. Yes. I have to travel regions to assess storm damage. Often experiencing it myself. Wind, hail, tornadoes, and flooding are a regular occurrence for me. It's a wild, wild life.

Danny101

TS Guru
Tip: Keep your car as cleaned and as maintained as possible. If it totals, you'll get a better settlement. Loosely based upon the Actual Selling Price of a similar year, make, model, and mileage in that specific market. If you're in a city, they'll ring out far enough to find about 50 cars. If you're in a rural area, then of course, they would have to ring out further to find the same amount. Not all cities present the same value. In one market, you'll get more. In another, you'll get less.

Last edited: