Android-powered BlackBerry 'Venice' stars in trio of revealing renders

Technically BlackBerry has yet to confirm plans for an Android debut, though the Canadian company’s CEO recently suggested that if the platform’s security could be improved, it held a definite appeal. Add in the equation rampant rumors of a so-called Venice slider in the works, and it seems only a matter of time.

BlackBerry teased an upcoming slide-out handheld back in March at MWC, though they never said it would run Android, here are some unofficial renders making the rounds.

The device would come packing a 18 MP camera with OIS as shown above.

The display seems tactfully curved, and the horizontal bezels, particularly the bottom one, appears to be slim. Around the back, BlackBerry has chosen a woven texture, whereas the frame seems constructed of some kind of metal alloy. Unfortunately, the physical keyboard is hidden beneath and we don't get a peek at it.

Infering from the images, what we are seeing is BlackBerry Hub running on top of Android. It'll be interesting to see how Blackberry decides to move forward, if a deep Android integration with proprietary BlackBerry apps on top will be enough, or if they go the Amazon route, forking the mobile OS which comes with many sacrifices. Chromecast support at least appears to be guaranteed.

According to evleaks, the BlackBerry Venice is headed to T-Mobile in addition to AT&T once it's released.

Permalink to story.

Wow, so people are still buying blackberries huh? I do not think that this company will last at all.

Wow, so people are still buying blackberries huh? I do not think that this company will last at all.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a single ***** out there who posts the same two anti-BB sentences on every forum, or if its a small but dedicated guild of *****s.

Heard the little too late a thousands time..good for them, maybe they'll make a comeback and still be a competitor in the bloated phone market.

Naw, people are just ignorant lol

I am not anti-blackberry. In all actuality I used to be an avid fan of them. I work with a lot of corporate companies and they mostly use androids or iphones which is why I thought that blackberry was a dying company.

I mean think about it, they are not dropping there BB Os and going for one based on andriod. they are trying to stay relevant.

Naw, people are just ignorant lol

I am not anti-blackberry. In all actuality I used to be an avid fan of them. I work with a lot of corporate companies and they mostly use androids or iphones which is why I thought that blackberry was a dying company.

I mean think about it, they are not dropping there BB Os and going for one based on andriod. they are trying to stay relevant.

At this point they might as well stop working on OS 10 because its a weird clone of Android with a less intuitive UI. It satisfies neither long time BB supporters nor potential converts to the platform. There simply isn't room for three or more ecosystems now. People rail against Android front ends like Sense, Touchwiz, etc but that's the best way to provide distinction while still having the advantage of a single, unified OS underneath. Stock Android is *not* the most attractive interface around. Honestly, BB should have been working on securing Android two years ago and everyone knows it. Hopefully they haven't waited too long. And hopefully there's a trackpad and always-visible function buttons (real or virtual) on their upcoming Android device(s).

Blackberry is in its peak of being on top of the list of being the best phones among all. They are doing there best in order to maintain and move forward as to were their ranking is. They would really last a long time and I am confident about it.

Blackberry is in its peak of being on top of the list of being the best phones among all. They are doing there best in order to maintain and move forward as to were their ranking is. They would really last a long time and I am confident about it.

I don't know about all that. I really can't see it happening at all.

Back