Android set to overtake iOS on tablets this year

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The dominance of iOS will be challenged later this year as Android hurdles toward becoming the most-used mobile operating system on tablets, according to IDC. The researcher has updated its forecast to reflect the surging interest in slates such as the Nexus 7 that are smaller and cheaper than Apple's iPads, with the latest data projecting shipments of 190.9 million units in 2013, up from the previously expected 172.4 million.

The group notes that half of the tablets shipped this quarter had screens smaller than eight inches. IDC analyst Jitesh Ubrani believes this suggests that consumers are realizing smaller slates are often better suited for typical usage than the larger options. Vendors are reportedly racing to meet that demand and most of them will offer Android devices, which should allow Google's platform to overtake iOS before the year is up.

Android tablets captured a healthy slice of the market in 2012 and its share is due to reach 48.8% in 2013, up from 41.5% in IDC's previous forecast. When that happens, iOS will purportedly slip from 51% of the market in 2012 to 46% in 2013. And while Android is chipping away at iOS, IDC says Windows will be nipping at both their ankles as it's expected to grow from 1% of the market last year to 7.4% in 2017. The researcher doesn't have high hopes for Windows RT, however, as its growth is estimated to remain below 3% over the next five years.

"Microsoft's decision to push two different tablet operating systems, Windows 8 and Windows RT, has yielded poor results in the market so far," said analyst Tom Mainelli. "Consumers aren't buying Windows RT's value proposition, and long term we think Microsoft and its partners would be better served by focusing their attention on improving Windows 8. Such a focus could drive better share growth in the tablet category down the road."

Permalink to story.

Microsoft Surface's value proposition?

What value is there?

Surface has very similar specs to a Nexus 7, yet costs $300 more. It has almost no ecosystem, too

Microsoft Surface's value proposition?

What value is there?

Surface has very similar specs to a Nexus 7, yet costs $300 more. It has almost no ecosystem, too
The MS store doesnt even have Real racing 3 or Instagram. I wonder if you can port apps like you can from android to blackberry. that would help out a lot.

If it werent for the iPad, tablets would be slow, we need a marketing giant like apple to jump start a sector.

The jumpstart happened. I'll give Apple that. But they now need to make way for people who actually know what they're doing.

Also, you can edit in forum mode.

No forecast is ever accurate and yet in essence pure propaganda.
But this one in particular seems to be very conservative.
I mean too iOS bias.
Thing is iOS offers 0 interoperability with peripherals as SD card, USB, miniHDMI etc. Not all software can be installed e.g. Adobe Flash, FireFox and so on.
As iOS being completely closed and non-customizable the life (think user experience) in contrast is about choice, freedom.
To me Apple to Android is like Soviet Union to the modern Western World.

Let's watch the Apple stock after this news. I think a 5% drop is imminent.

Android vs iOS? let the battle begin..

(psst, careful, MS might join in the middle of battle..)

I am willing to bet Hyundai would be the top selling market leader too if they dropped their car prices to around $1000 each. Android should be growing, around here, you can buy Android based Tablets for around $50 each brand new.

I am willing to bet Hyundai would be the top selling market leader too if they dropped their car prices to around $1000 each. Android should be growing, around here, you can buy Android based Tablets for around $50 each brand new.

"Around Here" where?

No forecast is ever accurate and yet in essence pure propaganda.
But this one in particular seems to be very conservative.
I mean too iOS bias.
Thing is iOS offers 0 interoperability with peripherals as SD card, USB, miniHDMI etc. Not all software can be installed e.g. Adobe Flash, FireFox and so on.
As iOS being completely closed and non-customizable the life (think user experience) in contrast is about choice, freedom.
To me Apple to Android is like Soviet Union to the modern Western World.

Let's watch the Apple stock after this news. I think a 5% drop is imminent.
Apple has never offered interoperability with its mobile devices going back as far as the iPod. That isn't what is hurting them so much, it is just that Android is actually a good OS. Marketshare is declining because of all the low-end Android tablets (I don't have any data to back me up, just my guess). You can get sub $100 tablets that run Android in some form. That removes entry barriers for a lot of people even though it isn't going to be a great experience using them (at least not for what people that visit this site would use them for). Sales figures for the high end tablets probably still have Apple very competitive.

Also, Apple share has been up all week, Google has been down. Don't think this announcement had any effect.

"Around Here" where?
Central Alberta, Canada. Excess Cargo, Liquidation World, etc always "bowout deals" for them for $49... They are NOT Samsung, Acer or name brand.

"Around Here" where?
Central Alberta, Canada. Excess Cargo, Liquidation World, etc always "bowout deals" for them for $49... They are NOT Samsung, Acer or name brand.

I can also buy a pineapple in alaska, I'll pay more but it doesn't make it taste better.

I can also buy a pineapple in alaska, I'll pay more but it doesn't make it taste better.
the point was simply that based on a price of 1/5 to 1/10 the competition, its obvious the market share of Android will surpass the competition.

Example again: there is more Hyundai's on the road then Lexus's. Does that mean Hyundai is better? Its just market share based on price point.

the point was simply that based on a price of 1/5 to 1/10 the competition, its obvious the market share of Android will surpass the competition.

Example again: there is more Hyundai's on the road then Lexus's. Does that mean Hyundai is better? Its just market share based on price point.
I agree with your assessment, so you don't need to argue with me here.

I just found this: http://www.cowboom.com/product/818645/?utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=552179&utm_campaign=CJ
$40 for a 7" Android (2.3) tablet. Its not JB or ICS, but it still counts in the Android devices list.

Wrong example, I deal with hyundai and lexus' on a daily basis. Other than brakes, engines and rich soccer moms the only difference is price, again that doesnt make one always better than the other by everyone's standards.

Wrong example, I deal with hyundai and lexus' on a daily basis. Other than brakes, engines and rich soccer moms the only difference is price, again that doesnt make one always better than the other by everyone's standards.
this is precisely what I meant.

Android tablet even the lower prices one now have dual core some even have quad core. Microsoft gone for the expensive side and really mess-up. Take clue how Amazon is selling their tablets, more geared for Amazon Prime Members. Microsoft could have had Surface for $199 and $249 but again they don't think out the box. Android and iOS going battle it out. All those who have Apple devices and there are so many of you. I had gone to a party and everyone had Apple phones, where I was the only one with Android phone. They ask me what's that? Not Apple no, it's Android! Android what's that? My Motorola Razz Max is thin and their iPhones is thick but in all they all use the iOS.

Tablets Android tablets will shine more..

Speaking of Hyundai, I really wish they would tone down that stinking commercial with the gangsta white rats making the jump to light speed in the "Soul"....!:mad:

Oh wait, that's Kia.......nevermind....:D

Back