1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Android update bricks Nike's $350 self-lacing sneakers

By midian182 · 19 replies
Feb 21, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. As reported by CNET, Nike’s shoes, which were released on Sunday, come with an app that lets users control their tightness. This function is also possible using the two buttons on the sides, but controlling the fit via an app is one of the sneakers' main features.

Days after their launch, Adapt BB needed a firmware update. And while this doesn’t seem to have affected the iOS app, the update has caused some big problems on Android. According to user reviews, the app keeps failing to connect one shoe to another, and it has “bricked” the sneakers.

Some people have found that the issue can be resolved by performing a manual reset, which is a surprisingly arduous process. The shoes can still be used as regular sneakers, and the physical buttons continue to adjust the tightness, but paying $350 for some smart footwear that isn’t particularly smart has incurred the ire of many buyers.

We’ve seen updates brick devices in the past. Back in October, Apple pulled the WatchOS 5.1 update after it bricked a number of its smartwatches, causing them to become stuck in endless boot loops.

Nike has responded to a comment on the Play Store with “We are aware of the issue and are actively working on a solution.”

In an era when almost anything can be turned into a smart device, it seems new technologies can bring new problems.

Permalink to story.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 866   +73

Those comments are hilarious. I read as far as "Simply this app doesn't work. When I try connecting my shoes... etc etc".

Shoes don't need connecting. This is crazy land.

Humza and FPSChris like this.
  3. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,890   +1,166

I'll say it again...we are DEVOLVING as a race.

4. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666   +424

I'll say it again, these have a purpose.
    Technology is a resource-liberating mechanism.

5. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,394   +296

I hope no one calls 911 because his 'shoes got bricked'.

p51d007 and wiyosaya like this.
  6. Danny101

Danny101 TS Guru Posts: 714   +266

Of course it did!

7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 3,152   +1,411

The shoes aren't 'bricked' We use the word 'brick' when a phone dies because it's the shape of a brick and good for nothing anymore. A shoe that loses it's connection is now just a shoe isn't it?

Cal Jeffrey likes this.
  8. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,703   +2,070

Except when the resources, in this case feet, are stuck in them because the technology is a brick.:laughing:

p51d007 likes this.
  9. wiyosaya

The key question here is can these shoes be laced manually? If not, IMO, the best analogy is the brick.

p51d007 and TheBigT42 like this.
  10. wiyosaya

This brings to mind the movie WALL-E. :laughing:

p51d007 and Raytrace3D like this.
  11. mbrowne5061

mbrowne5061 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,160   +626

The article says they can be used manually, and the manual function still works. The author and reviewers seem to be using the term "bricked" rather liberally here; the shoes can likely be repaired to a future update to the Android app, and continue to work with the iOS version, its just a connectivity issue.

12. BlackCatRokusho

BlackCatRokusho TS Rookie

Have they tried turning their shoes off and back on again?

13. wiyosaya

I stand corrected.

Still, though, an app to tighten sneakers? :neutral:

And in other news, today, Nike is not looking so good. I have to wonder about the durability of these.

14. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 7,363   +606

Is that like rebooting? :)

azicat likes this.
  15. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,208   +4,877

I don't recall them wearing shoes in Wall-E.

ForgottenLegion likes this.
  16. JamesSWD

JamesSWD TS Maniac Posts: 331   +182

When a shoe is using software...it's past time we take a step back and put some commonsense back into what we're doing.

17. ForgottenLegion

ForgottenLegion TS Guru Posts: 365   +366

Everything must be connected to the internet and will receive a performance boost if encorporating RGB.

18. JamesSWD

But can the shoe's 28.8K modem handle that much RGB bandwidth?

19. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,208   +4,877

Don't worry! Next month they will upgrade to 33.6K. By the end of next year we will have 56K.

JamesSWD likes this.
  20. JamesSWD

That's just crazy talk...no one needs that much speed.

cliffordcooley likes this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...