Anonymous hacks FTC website OnGuardOnline.gov

Leeky

Anonymous continues to target government and film industry websites as part of the so-called operation MegaUpload, in protest of the file sharing service's recent shutdown. As it stands right now top MegaUpload executives, including its controversial founder Kim Dotcom, stand accused of running an "international organized criminal enterprise allegedly responsible for massive worldwide online piracy."

The infamous hacker collective's latest target is one of the Federal Trade Commission’s websites, onguardonline.gov.

Late Monday, Anonymous tweeted that its AntiSec arm had hacked the website, and also defaced the front page highlighting the group’s anger towards the authorities, adding a video and writing the contact details of various FTC officials, as well as the message:

If SOPA/PIPA/ACTA passes we will wage a relentless war against the corporate internet, destroying dozens upon dozens of government and company websites. As you are reading this we are amassing our allied armies of darkness, preparing boatloads of stolen booty for our next raid. We are sitting on hundreds of rooted servers getting ready to drop all your mysql dumps and mail spools. Your passwords? Your precious bank accounts? Even your online dating details?! You ain’t even trying to step to this.

As has become the norm with Anonymous, the hacker group published all of the data obtained on Pastebin.

The FTC responded on its Twitter account, tweeting, "OnGuardOnline.gov run by the FTC was hacked earlier today. The FTC takes this malicious act seriously." They further tweeted that the website had been taken offline, and would be back up once they were satisfied any vulnerability had been patched.

As of this writing the website remains offline.

In the last week Anonymous has targeted all manner of websites belonging to the media industry, which support the proposed SOPA and PIPA legislation. They also faced up against government sites, taking down the White House website, as well as knocking offline the FBI and DOJ, among several others.

Despite the hacker's increased activity in the last week, the planned attack on Monday against Sony in retaliation for its support of SOPA passed without any major incident. Sony’s website was down for 13 hours for “routine maintenance” at precisely the same time as the hackers planned to attack it.

Official Anonymous channels on Twitter have also confirmed that the scheduled attack on Facebook was a hoax, mirroring previous rumors that it planned to attack the social networking giant on November 5. Facebook, with around 60,000 servers, has stated it is prepared should the hacktivists change their mind.

Permalink to story.

"If this passes we will hack many weakly defended sites of no real importance or use other than a symbolic value, but rest assured, we will leave all data that can potentially damage the reputation of any of the forces that we claim to fight safely where it is. We are legion, fear us, grr."

Power corrupts (or those that are corruptible are drawn to power) and Anonymous just seems to be another case of ego and power using the justification, those guys are egocentric powerful groups so we can use our egocentric power against them.

Look at SOPA/PIPA bills, what has gotten the attention of Congress? Not Anonymous, but real life citizens using their own names and standing up for something. Voting and contacting their representatives, peaceful democracy in action, not threats nor acts of terrorism.

I like what Anonymous is doing,

^ Power corrupts? Do you live in America?
This country was founded by greedy self elected land taking slave owners and not much has changed except the illusion of security is bigger in exchange for so called human rights.

SOPA is trying to regulate what should be considered free speech and enterprise.
I will help Anonymous's cause in anyway I can.

Agreed. People won't listen to you when you attack them. They listen when you can reason with them. Anon doesn't know how to reason, just attack.

The problem with Anonymous is their "attack them first to get what we want" mentality. I think the people should exercise ALL of the peaceful methods of getting what they want from their government first. If all fails, use cyber attacks and hacking as a last resort. But it's just stupid to cut the chase and go straight to the "violence" (what ever the virtual equivalent to violence is?) demanding this and that. Because look, on January 18th, the peaceful methods actually were extremely effective and I'd argue that they worked very well.

It's hard for me to stand by Anonymous when they don't take the mature, responsible, and logical approaches to their problems first.

So lets reason with the govt and tell them we dont want the internet censored? O wait the law makers trying to pass SOPA, PIPA, or ACTA clearly are not.

And per usual ANON is doing what they feel is right...even when it makes them look stupid. The more attacks they do the more information is being gathered on them. Eventually they will screw up and we will see that they are just a bunch of teenage ****** living in mommys basement among their Power Ranger collectable action figures.....

I am glad that Anon does not like SOPA. However there are better ways to handle it, even if they insist on hacking and shutting down sites.
-ikesmasher

I don't really think it's about the site being down for a day. These are supposed to set the standard. Most websites and organizations build their hardware and harden their servers to the government's standards. If these servers can be taken off line so easily... Down for a day may not do anything, but it sends a message when you can tear down a site that many deemed unhackable. Suddenly the impossible is possible and people get this urge to fight for what they thought was lost. Think of it as psychological warfare.

what good does taking down these websites do? how many people desperately need to use government websites on a daily basis? hardly anyone would even notice if they went down for a few hours.

Funny how RT news has some 'Anonymous' guest on there taking about all the problems in the USA. But RT never shows all those Russian protestors in their streets. See, RT is run by the Russian government. And if the true Anonymous has nothing to do with RT, then they should hack them. Just my opinion. I'm a frog, so what do I know.

Anonymous may be on the right track, but they may be on the wrong train. What we need in the USA is a 3rd party. The 99% just needs to vote. And we will all live happily ever after. Bill Gates for president! I joke not.

Anonymous says: nationalize the banks, tax the rich to clean up their mess.... Sounds good to me.

Back