Another case of XP and Onboard Sound Disappears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have a problem with my sound device. It sais I have none. No icon appears in the lower right hand side of my screen. I can't listen to anything online. It's driving me insane. I talked to someone in the past who told me to download everest home edition and follow his steps. But, I can't find him. I've downloaded everest and got a report. Does anyone know where he was going with this?

I also have a problem with my sound device. It sais I have none. No icon appears in the lower right hand side of my screen. I can't listen to anything online. It's driving me insane. I talked to someone in the past who told me to download everest home edition and follow his steps. But, I can't find him. I've downloaded everest and got a report. Does anyone know where he was going with this?

1. Don't know if you have XP or Vista, but here's a couple links to try for your troubleshooting
- Missing Sound Icon
- Fixing Vista sound problems (Altho this comes from HP/Compaq is pretty generic for all Vista

2. If you continue with problems, you should start a new thread in Audio Video Forum. You should include the Everest Report as well as report from dxdiag (see below)
Click to download then run Everest Home. From top of Everest window:
  • Click File->Preferences
    • Check English
    • Then (still under Preferences) click Report and uncheck Include Debug Information
    • Close Preferences window
  • Click Reports->Report Wizard. Get a Custom Report report in plain text. Check these items
    • Computer
    • Motherboard
    • Sound
  • Attach the report file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)
Generate a DirectX report
click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
Notice progress in lower left window corner
When done, click Save Information button. Attach this report to a post as well

cannibalcol
I moved you here from the other thread as I didn't notice at first you had "piggy-backed" onto someone else's thread. You should have your own thread for your own problem (for one thing, there's much less confusion that way on who;s talking to who)

The Everest Report you ran doesn't supply alot of detail BUT i see you are using XP Home, Service Pack2. Before I give instructions/ask you to produce more detailed reports suggest first look through both these links and report back if they;ve helped you find your problem

Missing Sound Under Windows

How to troubleshoot sound problems in Windows XP

cannibalcol said:
I also have a problem with my sound device. It sais I have none. No icon appears in the lower right hand side of my screen.

try this:

click Start > Run then type services.msc & hit enter.

navigate to Windows Audio,double click & WIndows Audio Properties
will open.

at the General tab,
service status click Stop.

at the Start type: select Automatic

then at the service status again,click Start.

click Apply then OK.

play a music & check the sound.

Start->Run-> MMSYS.CPL

Tick: "Place icon in taskbar"

If it's already ticked.
Untick it
Apply
Re-tick it
Apply
Ok

Status
Not open for further replies.