Another DirectX 9.0c problem with Sims 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all the information about my computer:

Computer Make/Model Compaq presario (SR1929NL)
Processor/Speed Intel ® Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.06GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory Amount 1024MB RAM
DirectX DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Video Card Name ATI RADEON HD 2400 PRO
Video Card amount of Memory 512.0 MB

And the message that keeps popping up:
"Failed to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics adaptors in this system. Make sure you have direct x 9.0c compatible graphics adaptor and you have installed the latest drivers provided by your manufacturer."

At first the game did worked, untill I installed The Sims 2 seasons, it started to crash and then I reinstalled it over and over again, but that didn't make any difference.
At first I had a Video Card that was called ATI RADEON Xpress 200, so we bought a new video card: ATI RADEON HD 2400 PRO. After that I installed Sims 2 again, but now it doesn't start at all and I get that message about directX 9.0c.

So, if anyone knows what to do please help me!

P.S
When I go to display in the DirectX diagnostic Tool the Test direct3D fails, the first one does work, and when I put down the acceleration of the hardware you can't do the test at all, so maybe this is the problem? I don't know how to fix it, so still... please help me

What Catalyst driver version are you using? It almost sounds as if you didn't install one.

I do have a catalyst driver, and the CD says that its
CATALYST Driver Suite version 8.3 and updated to version 8.6
Driver version: 12-089 (XP/Vista only)

Yes, I did, but that didn't really made a difference.
Maybe it's a good idea to try another videocard, because I can still return it for 30 days, and get another?

The graphics card works okay when you aren't playing the game, correct? Have you tried playing any DVDs just in the interests of testing the graphics?

BTW, the monitor cable is plugged into the new graphics card, right? I know it seems obvious but sometimes people forget.

It doesn't seem like the graphics card is the problem. Is Sims 2 the only PC game you've tried to play so far?

It could be an inadequate power supply. The new card might need more power than the original power supply can put out. What brand and wattage power supply are you using? Also, could read on the side of the power supply what the +12V amps are? You will have to open the PC case to see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back