Another Software "Idiosyncracy".......

captaincranky

When you try to edit a post, you place your cursor over the edit point, and you reasonably expect the "blinky line thingy", to appear >under< the cursor. But Noooo...., it appears 1 to perhaps 3 or 4 text lines above it.....:D

Keep in mind, this doesn't irritate me. In fact, it's somewhat whimsical. It's sort of like the game engine to "Whack-a-Mole", has finally found an honest day's work in word processing.

I don't expect you to fix this. I'm not asking you to fix this. I'm jus' sayin', that's all.....;)

I don't know what you're talking about. :(
You're not alone......

OK, when I try to edit a post, and click on the point where I'd like to edit, the cursor appears on a line above where I clicked..Maybe it's just my computer, and my installation of Firefox. Maybe I'm cross eyed. It's anybody's guess.

Sometimes I pee on the seat. This might be a linked symptom of poor eye hand coordination.

As always, the results posted are my own. Your results may of course, vary.

And BTW, thanks for making me talk about it, now I can't make it happen.:D

Hahaha, troll browser? :p Doesn't happen to me on Opera.

From a technical standpoint, I believe each browser handles text input boxes on their own, irrespective of any websites.

Tell me about it. I have one machine with FF 3.61 and it renders one particular website with a pure white background. On another machine, the site's background is pure black.! I s*** you not....

So, does this mean both browsers are trolling me, or they're just trolling each other....:confused:

FF 3.61? Mine is 20.0.1. Perhaps you should update to the current one to see if that fixes the problem.

FF 3.61? Mine is 20.0.1. Perhaps you should update to the current one to see if that fixes the problem.
No. FF 3.61 is a much more reliable and resource friendly browser than these new kluged together incarnations.

19.01 is the one I have problems with. I can load a website and a half full of "art photography" into FF 3.61. A Google image search and about 50 pages are enough to make 19.0 shut down. The graphics crash, you're trying to load a page and the screen goes black. And this is on a more powerful machine. (Although try not to misinterpret "more powerful", with "actually powerful" :D ).

As far as the background color difference, it probably just one miss set bit causing that. I just depends on whether color management initializes to all ones or all zeroes. All zeroes you get black, all ones, you get pure white. Color density is 2^8 (256), across three registers, R, G, & B. But, I digress.......:D

:D

tl;dr: FF3 is a lot easier on CPU and RAM, compared to 19+. But there's probably a very small glitch in the code of FF3 causing the black screen to appear.
I think you only need to have 1 byte miss set, to change the background from white to black. all ones equal white, all zeroes equal black. OTOH, this particular site's code could be dodgy as well. BTW, FF 3.61 is showing all white. (Sorry, I simply felt compelled to share that)...

I fear we've wandered too far afield here but.....
Browser updates are in no small part about "security". It's very easy to argue, that "a secure browser", is one the relies on its own security protocols to insure against intrusion.

However IMHO, the client machine should have its own AV, script blocking, hosts file updated, etc., to take the load off the browser's internal security.

Browser coders must work on the assumption that in any given machine their browser is installed, there may be no backup security software.

Back