Inactive Anti virus has picked up old virus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samw

Hi

I recently did a factory reinstall on my laptop as I had the windows security virus. Today, I did a full system scan using my antivirus software and it picked up the virus from the windows.old folder!!!!

Now, i am worried and thinking if the virus was active since I reinstalled?!!!! I thought it would not be as I did a fresh reinstall.

Also, today I was investigating why my internet speed has gone slightly slower. I did net stat - a in cmd to find out if there was any interferences. I found many 'listening' connections. The guy from the virgin call centre said this may be spyware!! i am worried as I just recently reinstalled a month ago.,

Any help appreciated

thanks

sam

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

==================================================================

Let's start with removing windows.old folder: http://www.jimmah.com/vista/content.aspx?id=14

Then....

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Hi , before I start the cleaning process, I just want to know that can an antivirus pick up the virus from the windows.old foldeR? this is most likely the case with me as the virus files have now been fixed by the antivirus and they appeared to come from the windows.old folder?

i have reinstalled my pc to factory settings a few weeks ago. i would think it is unlikely to be another virus but the antivirus has picked up on the old virus.

Please could advise me on what to do.

thanks

sam

Hey

I am trying to remove the windows.old folder but it is not working when i do it manually in cmd. In reference to, Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL, from the webpage, I have done this and got the following error message, ' /F' is not recognised as an internal or external command, and ERROR: Access is denied.

I am unable to delete the folder through the first method.

Also, I have installed malwarebytes and did a quick scan. There is no malicious activity found. I would like to know is it possible for an antivirus to pick up the virus which is not active from the windows.old folder. it is most likely to be that as 3 viruses were found and the names were familiar in terms of the attack that I had before reinstalling.

Is it worth me following all the steps as if I have a suspected virus on the system?

sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back