Anti virus?

I had mcafee AV , it came with my dell laptop, now I have removed it , I was talking to this dell technical support guy , he told me it's ok to use windows defender , he says if you regularly update it , windows defender will detect and remove viruses, spyware, malware etc and he also asked me to update windows regularly too .

now I download movies using u torrent and download books, videos ........what I wanted to know is , is windows defender enough to protect my laptop....that dell tech support guy said he had inserted a usb stick ( which had virus in it ), windows defender detected and removed those viruses, so he says , he has tested it , but still ........what do you suggest guys ?

thanks

McAfee is bloatware, dont use it. Windows Defender is good for finding the most severe, and most known viruses. It is largely ineffective in most cases though. Torrenting gets you a lot of viruses and I guarantee you have one right now. I recommend getting MS Security Essentials (as a AV) and scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware frequently. If you dont want viruses, dont torrent.

If you are running win 8 .Then yes windows defender Is your built in virus program. If not, Then use what JC713 has suggested.

Never heard of protegent, But what dose it matter , If the op thinks its the best one. If it works for him then why change. I use Nod32 and have now for many years and it works great for me.

Back