Anyone want to help me choose a safe PSU?

treesmoker

Okay first of all I know nothing about PSU's, I've been doing some research but everything is so damn confussing to me. I only want to upgrade my PSU because somebody @ pcper.com said that the Q-Tek 500W that I have is very unsafe and will probably be the death of my new system (and possibly burn down my house, Lol)

Here is my system:

ASUS Crosshair II Formula

SDC10637.jpg

This is all I really know that is connected to the mainboard:

Maxtor 250GB SATA HDD

SONY CD-RW CRX225E ATA Device (52x/24x/52x CD-RW)

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A ATA Device

NVIDIA nForce 980a/780a SLI Onboard Video

two 120mm 12V fans + one 90mm 12V case fan

I want to upgrade the PSU to a realible branded PSU that can handle my current setup and possibly will be able to handle 2-way SLI (i'll doubt i'll ever need to go as far as 3-way) my problem is that I don't know which brands are safe to buy and which PSU's will have the right connections for my mobo.

However! i've been told that this is my best option: HERE but if i'm honest I don't have £70-80 to spend right now on a PSU, plus would it have enough molex connections? as some i've been looking at only have ONE! and the rest are 6pins connectors?. I'd like to spend something around £30-£50 but obviously my biggest concern is how safe the PSU is when leaving the system running overnight....

Would any of these be okay:

HERE

HERE

HERE

If not can somebody explain what wrong with these PSU's so that I can aviod similar PSU's? also can anybody recommend a safe PSU within my price range?

Thankyou in advance

Its too low for SLI, but I fitted this to my missus' quad core PC the other day, and was seriously impressed with the number of connectors, and the length of them!

Looking at your spec's it would be more than adequate for use in your system.

For reference, my missus' PC:
Intel Core2Quad Q8200 (2.33GHz)
Foxconn motherboard mATX
2GB DDR 800 RAM
2x DVD drives
2x SATA HDD's (160GB & 500GB)
2x 120mm Fans
Nvidia GT220 GPU

If SLI support is a long way off, I would highly recommend this PSU.

This would be handy for moderate SLI support (e.g. GTX460's): OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply.

I plan on getting this for my system, my aim is for 1GB GTX460's.

In regards to your links, both from Yoyotech.co.uk I wouldn't bother with, the OCZ is the same as I linked ironically, even though I never checked your links til after I'd replied.

Hello Again Leeky!

Hey Leeky, thanks for the reply man, would've thought you'd be out on a friday night :)

In terms of SLi, I don't do any gaming on the PC any more, the most I do is some photoshop work, and sometimes video editing and the rare bit of flash animations, which to my knowledge don't really require SLi to run?

The only possibility of gaming would be when my son get older........ALOT OLDER! (only 9weeks as you know!) so this PSU looks be ideal.

Is the Corsair CX 400W ATX as safe as all of crosshair's PSUs? as some people say that some are more realible than others, but to be honest i'm sure you wouldn't be linking me to a PSU thats gunna explode, otherwise you wouldn't have brought one for the missus's comp (unless you really didn't like her :p)

Is the Corsair CX 400W ATX as safe as all of crosshair's PSUs? as some people say that some are more realible than others, but to be honest i'm sure you wouldn't be linking me to a PSU thats gunna explode, otherwise you wouldn't have brought one for the missus's comp (unless you really didn't like her :p)

Not me, I don't drink, and due to my back I don't get out much! Been catching up on my recorded programs with the missus and I'm now on the PC again. :D

I doubt the component quality is likely the same as a Corsair HX850 for example, but Corsair make good PSU's, and your right, I wouldn't spend my money on her PC if I thought it wouldn't do the job.

I'd have no hesitation in putting that very same PSU inside my PC, and its used 18hrs ish a day! ;)

I was actually very impressed with the quality of this PSU, I wasn't expecting braided wiring, or even wiring as long as it was either. It even came with the nice "bubble" effect Powered by badge too. :D It has an armful of connectors, far more than my missus' PC needed, and a rather nice adjustable tie wrap to tidy the unused cabling too. It seems ultra stable when tested with OCCT as well. I'd buy another one thats for sure!

The CX400 is a quality unit; just make sure you get that and not the somewhat sub-par CX430 instead.

Also, if you're looking for a higher-capacity PSU in case you decide to add a card for gaming, I'd recommend this PSU over the OCZ ModXStream.

one word mr leeky........................SOLD! thanks bro your always very helpful

LOL, no worries. :)

@Rage
I'm glad you agree, I have to say everything about this PSU oozes quality in my opinion, and the fact its cheap as chips is awesome. :)

Back