Building new PC (would love opinions and help)

alexgoh

Hi all!

As explained by the thread title, I'm currently in the midst of building a PC and would love to have some advice.

Currently, here are my targets/uses and what I've had in mind:

Budget: $1500 USD or $2000 SGD (hopefully I can spend less
tongue.png
)

Aim: Gaming (I play CS:GO competitively at 1024x768), possibly streaming. As silent a PC as possible.

Monitors: 2 monitors, 1x BenQ XL2420T running at 1920x1080, 1x Dell Ultrasharp 24" running at 1920x1200

Alright so here's what I've had in mind:

Case: Fractal Design R5 - I've been shopping around for silent cases and comparing the NZXT and FD, the FD wins me over in price and because I've an optical drive to transfer over
tongue.png

SSD/HDD: Don't need any, transferring my current ones over. I currently have 2x WD Black 1TB HDD and 1x Crucial M500 240GB SSD. I am wondering though if PCI-E SSDs are worth it?

Optical Drive: Don't need any, transferring a 1x ASUS DVD+/- RW

CPU: Now here's the BIG question mark I have for myself, what kind of CPU is good? I'm looking for the PC to be able to handle coding such as C++, Python, Ruby, MATLAB etc. I'd also like to be able to have streams on my Dell monitor while I'm playing games. Currently, I have to shrink the size of the stream to reduce the amount of load my CPU handles. I'm also a tab monster sometimes so I'd have browsers in the background while I'm streaming. Additionally, I'm also an Intel fanboy (currently using AMD and it's killing me
tongue.png
). Intel in this case is also because I play CS:GO competitively and it seems to be the better processor for it (please correct me if I'm wrong). Other games that I play currently at max resolution would be GTA 5 and H1Z1. If I stream games such as CS:GO, I do want my FPS in-game to be well above 120 (since I use a 120Hz monitor).

Thus, my first big question mark would be this, do I really need an i7? Would I benefit greatly from having the hyperthreading considering my current kinds of applications for the money I'm putting in? Also, would I need the K versions? In the case of overclocking, I'm a complete noob at this but am willing to hear out what suggestions people have for me or any guides you could point me to. I've never done OCing before cause I've had this understanding that OCing increases the amount of wear and tear on the computer.

Mobo: Again, likewise to the CPU, I've no bloody clue. Especially when it comes to ASUS brands (which I've been using for several years) where they have a ton of different variations.

GFX: Here I'm probably aiming for 1x ASUS Strix 960 GTX for it's performance and it's price.

PSU: I'm wondering what brands of PSU are really silent. As for power consumption, I've did quite a few experiments on those PSU calculator sites and I think about 650W is enough? Or would 750W be better?

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400MHz. I honestly picked this cause the price difference for 16GB from 1600MHz to 2400MHz is only $24SGD.

Aftermarket Coolers: I'm honestly wondering if it's a big difference in terms of noise levels between the stock cooler, custom fan coolers and water coolers? Currently, I'm using a water cooled PC that I won during a tournament and man, the watercooling is extremely noisy and the reservoir has had multiple problems. I've seen that CoolerMaster offers water coolers that have 0 maintenance. As such in this department, should I go to such solutions? Or should I only turn to them if I plan to OC the CPU? Likewise, how large a radiator do I need?

Here is a pricelist of a popular PC parts vendor from Singapore and their prices are in SGD. I'll probably buy from a friend who can get like $100 off in total.

http://fuwell.com.sg...uwell180415.pdf

Thanks in advance for all the great help!

If its was just for gaming I would have said an Intel i5 as it is considered the sweet spot for gaming but since you are coding I believe you will be better off with an i7.

As for your RAM make sure your motherboard does not require you to OC in order to get the 2400 speed.

Hey Route44, I honestly am questioning this though; how much workload would require an i7? For example, I'm not going to game whilst having a code compile or things rendering in the background most of the time. Likewise, how much coding or CPU power consumption would justify the need for an i7? My concern would be, is my use of the computer heavy enough to justify the need for an i7 and it's hyperthreading capabilities?

Back