AOC's 1440p Agon gaming monitors arrive in the US

Scorpus

Staff member

AOC has brought two of its compelling Agon gaming monitors, the AG271QX and AG271QG, to the United States this week. Both are 27-inch 1440p displays that focus on low latency, packing adaptive sync technology and high maximum refresh rates.

The AG271QX is the cheaper model, which includes a 144 Hz TN LCD panel with a 1ms response time. Viewing angles are listed as 170/160 degrees, and there's handy selection of inputs, including D-Sub, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort. This monitor also includes Adaptive Sync technology (read: FreeSync) for those with AMD graphics cards.

The AG271QG swaps out Adaptive Sync for G-Sync, increasing the price tag in the process. The display is also different: here we're seeing an IPS LCD panel with a maximum refresh rate of 165 Hz with 4ms response time and increased 178/178 degree viewing angles. Due to limitations with G-Sync, this display only supports HDMI and DisplayPort inputs.

While both panels use different display technologies, the rest of the specifications and features are similar. Both are rated for a typical contrast ratio of 1000:1, and pack maximum brightness of 350 nits. The backlight is flicker free, and the stand supports height, tilt and swivel adjustments. There's even a small remote control for modifying the display's settings, and a foldable headphone stand.

The AG271QX is available now from your favorite retailers with an MSRP of $600, although Newegg is currently selling it for just $500, which is very reasonable considering the specifications. The G-Sync AG271QG will cost $800 when it becomes available in October.

Permalink to story.

Wonder if you could hang your coffee cup on it? After using that convenient cup holder that doubles as a DVD tray ......

Wonder if you could hang your coffee cup on it? After using that convenient cup holder that doubles as a DVD tray ......

Wait what? DVD tray? The coffee cup idea would be a good one, but the gaming elite who would be in the market for this are more the energy death drink variety. I doubt someone who actually still has a DVD drive in their PC would ever spend this kind of money on a display.

The AG271QG swaps out Adaptive Sync for G-Sync, increasing the price tag in the process.
Is G-Sync better than FreeSync? Seems that if you're building a gaming PC you'd be able to save some money by going with an AMD and FreeSync monitor.

Yes, I know the best possible graphics cards are Nvidia - but not everyone needs a Titan. At what point does Nvidia start losing some sales because of their expensive licensing on their G-Sync tech?

The AG271QG swaps out Adaptive Sync for G-Sync, increasing the price tag in the process.
Is G-Sync better than FreeSync? Seems that if you're building a gaming PC you'd be able to save some money by going with an AMD and FreeSync monitor.

Yes, I know the best possible graphics cards are Nvidia - but not everyone needs a Titan. At what point does Nvidia start losing some sales because of their expensive licensing on their G-Sync tech?

Honestly down to which brand you opt for, as I'm skeptical Nvidia will pick up FreeSync anytime soon. Since they pushed hard for their own thing, just it's down to preference at this point I'd imagine. Of course you're comparing a G-Sync IPS to a FreeSync TN? 144hz/1ms to 165hz/4ms, this is a very interesting pairing I will admit.

Back