APP crashes on startup, all browsers following suit

Tazo The Vault

Hello,

There's a rather annoying yet mysterious issue with several of my applications and processes in the last two days that I can't figure out. At all.

As I log in, I receive several error messages as different things have their own "APP Crashes" and they all seem to be unrelated: Cyberlink Media Library, COM Surrogate, Malwarebytes, and several other things that I try running, including any browser that isn't IE, and MS Word and OpenOffice.

I receive the same messages while trying to reinstall said browsers, even betas.

As it just so happens, I'm taking online classes just as this started happening, and I'd really like some help resolving this issue before I'm forced to drop a class and pull my non-existent hair out.

I can't provide dumps right now, as I'm at work, but I did write down one of the error messages detail:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: chrome.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4c802ab2
Fault Module Name: StackHash_91e3
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16559
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba9b29c
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000cdc9b
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 91e3
Additional Information 2: 91e390e8f69d20c5c996e04d760f29c2
Additional Information 3: 6821
Additional Information 4: 682142a313802447badad597e6822391

That's for Chrome, as you can see. Any help at all would be wonderful. Thanks to anyone who can help.

As a first try to sort this and cause no more damage, it would be worthwhile to run windows 'chkdsk /f' command.
So that's 'Start' type cmd (enter)
right click on the cmd entry in the list, and choose 'run as administrator'
In the DOS box that opens, type chkdsk /f (there is a space before /f) (enter)
type y (enter)
then click on the red cross to close the DOS box.
Reboot your pc, and let the scan run. It will look for, and attempt to fix, faulty windows system files.
When finished, see how the pc runs.

Nah, tried the check disk, and a crc. Neither shows any sign of solution possibility. Thanks, though.

I'm wondering now if it'd be a good/safe idea to dual boot a linux distro and try to pick at this from the outside-in. Although it would still be great to actually find out what the problem is.

No one else having this problem? Is it just me? :suspiciou

Any chance you have installed 'Zipgenius' ?
Also give the system a good scan with Spybot S&D.

No, I haven't installed Zipgenius. From the name I take it that it's a not-so-popular-after-recent-events unzipping/rar program. Did something happen with this program in a bad way?

Also, I'll give spybot a try. Thanks for the help.

*Edit*

No go on the spybot. I'm quite sure I could get some results from it, but now whatever is causing this has also decided to snipe every installer I try. If I recall, there's a way around that, but I'm not entirely sure of what it is (suffice to say that it might be through cmd, although bat files are probably going to be sniped too).

So, I'm stuck with half of what I've got installed right now and using IE for my daily needs (I don't like IE.)

I'm gonna have to scan my hdd on a different computer...

This really sucks, and I need my stuff back. :mad:

Might be worth trying Firefox portable, off a flash stick.
About 'Zipgenius' , I saw a reference to app crashes with other browsers, and they thought it was 'Zipgenius' causing it. How true I don't know. If you can get hold of a Windows disc you could try a 'Repair install' which would replace all your current system files with a new version off the disc. Would have the advantage of leaving all your own files and work 'as is'.

Back