Apple admits "small number" of iPhone 8 users are experiencing audio issues, says fix...

midian182

Staff member

The upcoming iPhone X and a lack of major upgrades over its predecessor saw turnout for the iPhone 8 at its lowest point in years. Now, Apple has confirmed that some owners are experiencing a crackling or static sound that affects the handsets’ audio, but it is working on a fix for the problem.

In a statement to The Verge, Apple said the issue is limited to a “small number of users” and that an upcoming software release will correct it, though there’s no timeline for when it might arrive.

The crackling only occurs during phone and Facetime calls, though not on every occasion. It’s been reported on both the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, and across different carriers in multiple worldwide locations. The randomness and the fact it doesn’t appear when using the earpiece as a loudspeaker suggests the noise is a software problem rather than the hardware one.

Apple support forum user SOBADA describes the noise as “intermittent - on some calls you can perfectly notice it on others no problem. I have already tried resetting the phone with no success on solving the problem. I’m dealing with the issue since Friday. Very disappointed! Does anyone has the same problem or knows how to fix it?”

Many locations that have famously seen huge queues during previous iPhone launches were noticeably quiet during last week's iPhone 8 release, including San Francisco’s Union Square and Apple’s Sydney city stores.

Apple isn’t the only company to experience audio problems in its newly released handsets. Not long after their launch last year, a number of users found the sound in Google’s Pixel phones distorted when the volume was at its highest level. A problem the company blamed on the devices' hardware.

Permalink to story.

So a few users hear crackling during facetime - sometimes. Which means the iPhone 8 is 99.99% perfect in everything it tried to do. And the sub headline reads 'it isn't having the best launch' ?! Pretty high standards, don't you think?

it wasn't too long ago we had a new major phone come out that exploded in people's pockets. Not sure little crackles during facetime are that big a deal.

So a few users hear crackling during facetime - sometimes. Which means the iPhone 8 is 99.99% perfect in everything it tried to do. And the sub headline reads 'it isn't having the best launch' ?! Pretty high standards, don't you think?

it wasn't too long ago we had a new major phone come out that exploded in people's pockets. Not sure little crackles during facetime are that big a deal.

The bigger news is that Apple didn't attribute it to user error.

OR those little crackles could be a count down. In stead of the tic tic tic it crackles ...... let us know if it explodes and for the time being I would NOT carry it in any pocket, especially the front ones!

"Small number" between exclamation marks? Very appropriate. Apples definition of a "small number" and everybody else's differs wildly. Apples "small number" could be anything from 30 to 30 million. We all know they're full of bullsh!t even if they appear to be telling the truth. It's always best to take anything they say with a bucket full of salt... Except when it comes to their prices, then it's best to ignore them altogether.

It's just a software probIem - so eventually it will be fine.

I DO intend to buy a new iPhone... probably the X.... but only a fool goes out and buys it at launch.... I'll be waiting until Boxing Day or later to pick one up - by then the major bugs (or ones only affecting a "small number of users") will be fixed.

And if there happen to be any HARDWARE bugs, at least I'll know not to pick up that model :)

So because it isn't catching fire it is not worth reporting? I would also add that iPhone isn't 99.99% perfect in everything else, that is just a fanboy in you making you look a bit stupid, or maybe...

Only 35 of the actual reports of "Note 7 explosions" were verified by samsung, and at least Samsung admitted there was a problem, unlike Apple. Ever heard of Touch Disease? There's a giant lawsuit going on about it right now.

So because it isn't catching fire it is not worth reporting? I would also add that iPhone isn't 99.99% perfect in everything else, that is just a fanboy in you making you look a bit stupid, or maybe...

THe irony is I've never owned an Apple product, and will never own an Apple product. I won't go into why because the list is long and my reasons aren't any different from anyone else's. But to say that a little crackling in 1 app for some people some of the time means the whole launch isn't going well is exaggeration at its finest.

Apple's launches have been full of actual problems... remember when maps was completely broken, and when service didn't work and Steve said they were holding the phone wrong? Even for Apple - if the only problem is this one tiny thing - then the launch is going great! This isn't even an issue where something isn't working - it's just mildly annoying for a tiny fraction of the times people use facetime.

It'd be like getting free box seats to your favorite team's sporting event in a very big important game and they win at the last minute and when you tell the story later you say 'Well... it didn't go very well.. I had popcorn stuck in my teeth for a few mins there in the middle of the game.'

Back