Apple and Hyundai in early talks, could begin electric car production in 2024

Joe White

Something to look forward to: Apple looks set to bring an electric car to the market in some form. A new report claims that an Apple-Hyundai partnership is imminent, with the companies set to begin production of an autonomous electric vehicle in the United States in 2024.

The news follows a statement on Friday, in which South Korean automaker Hyundai Motor Company confirmed that it’s in early talks with Apple concerning the future production of an autonomous electric car. The news sent Hyundai stock skyward, even though the company later corrected that no decisions – or deals – have been made.

Talks of a so-called ‘Apple Car’ have been circulating for years now, with reports ranging from an actual vehicle produced by Apple to self-driving software offered to pre-existing car manufacturers -- in a somewhat similar vein to Apple’s CarPlay.

More recently, it’s appeared that Apple is keen to partner with an existing car manufacturer in order to bring a new electric vehicle to market – one that’s powered by autonomous driving software developed in-house by Apple, aided by a few acquisitions.

The latest report landed on Sunday from local newspaper Korea IT News (via Reuters) claiming that an Apple-Hyundai partnership deal could be signed by March 2021, with production beginning in the United States around 2024.

The original report included further details, claiming that the companies plan to build the cars either at Kia Motors’ existing facility in Georgia or to invest jointly in a new facility. Kia Motors is a subsidiary of Hyundai. The report added that the companies would aim to produce 100,000 vehicles by 2024 – with a full annual capacity of 400,000 vehicles – and that a ‘beta version’ of the car could arrive as early as next year. However, the article was since updated to remove these finer details.

For now, it’s looking like an autonomous electric car from Apple is becoming closer to reality, especially in the wake of Tesla’s ongoing success. We’re also expecting Apple to partner up with an existing car manufacturer, though the exact partner – along with the car’s production timeframe – remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

This is never going to happen. Apple already tried this nonsense with other car companies and never got off the ground. The reason is always the same: Apple wants the lion's share of the profits. This is the same reason it took forever to get any kind of deal with Intel when Apple wanted Intel's chips. They basically wanted Intel to sell them chips at cost. So yeah, never going to happen.

And if you dont properly release the Apple DRM first the wheel will only turn left until you use an Apple (R) Certified (R)(TM) Repair Center.
Ok brother one more from me:

Everyone should be very careful to read the fine print when buying an Appundai or else....

mybill.jpg

Ok brother one more from me:

Everyone should be very careful to read the fine print when buying an Appundai or else....

mybill.jpg
All jokes aside, Apple could have done worse(referring to reliability) than Hyundai. That said, they'll never build a premium vehicle, atleast not something worth the price they'd be asking. They'll be asking Mercedes price for a base model civic then charge you an extra 10 grand for power windows.

If I was to guess Apple would partner with a more premium car brand like Mercedes, Audi or BMW.

Up to two days ago I would still have found this interesting as I generally liked Apple products. Now that they have exposed themselves as fascist sycophants I think I would rather buy anything else.

If I was to guess Apple would partner with a more premium car brand like Mercedes, Audi or BMW.

Honestly doubt Apple would want to get in bed with brands that make such unreliable cars. Other than Mercedes, a Audi or BMW going 100k Miles before needing some major work is rare these days.

Hyundai make some of the most dependable vehicles on the road ATM. I'd even say they are a step above a Honda. The Kia Telluride is a budget Primum SUV and honestly right in line with what Apple Provides. Apple Macbooks Look great on the outside, but their logic boards are built kinda cheaply and fail a little too easy. Its way to common for older Apple Laptops to develop hardware issues over time. iPhones on the other hand have great internals, but apple's built quality compares to some of its competitors is only meh. Apple really isn't a Mercedes level of brand. They are pretty much the Buick of the computer world.

This is never going to happen. Apple already tried this nonsense with other car companies and never got off the ground. The reason is always the same: Apple wants the lion's share of the profits. This is the same reason it took forever to get any kind of deal with Intel when Apple wanted Intel's chips. They basically wanted Intel to sell them chips at cost. So yeah, never going to happen.
You might be right on the share of profits part but this is not the same. Car is not the same as a chip (which could be bought from Intel competitors either x86 or ARM) and besides Hyundai doesn't need Apple. They are doing pretty good without Apple. It is Apple who needs a car maker so they will agree to whatever the car maker deems reasonable. The alternative is to build the car on their own but this will not only take enormous amount of money which no doubt Apple has, but time and experience/expertise which they don't. It could take many years - more than 10 and maybe 20 to even come close to Tesla level but even this is doubtful as Tesla is not going to stand still.

Last edited:
All jokes aside, Apple could have done worse(referring to reliability) than Hyundai. That said, they'll never build a premium vehicle, atleast not something worth the price they'd be asking. They'll be asking Mercedes price for a base model civic then charge you an extra 10 grand for power windows.
And more than half the Hyundai's sold here are made here (Yes, that still matters to some). I am curious if Apple will be able to find as many easy to fleece customers with transportation as they have with their electronics.

Civic? Think you’re getting confused with Honda

Up to two days ago I would still have found this interesting as I generally liked Apple products. Now that they have exposed themselves as fascist sycophants nooo I think I would rather buy anything else.

Ahh yes, not allowing terrorists to storm the capitol means they’re fascist... definitely sure you felt the same when ISIS was pushed off Facebook and WhatsApp...

Knowing Apple, everyone will need a license agreement to even look at their EVs.
Honestly doubt Apple would want to get in bed with brands that make such unreliable cars. Other than Mercedes, a Audi or BMW going 100k Miles before needing some major work is rare these days.

Hyundai make some of the most dependable vehicles on the road ATM. I'd even say they are a step above a Honda. The Kia Telluride is a budget Primum SUV and honestly right in line with what Apple Provides. Apple Macbooks Look great on the outside, but their logic boards are built kinda cheaply and fail a little too easy. Its way to common for older Apple Laptops to develop hardware issues over time. iPhones on the other hand have great internals, but apple's built quality compares to some of its competitors is only meh. Apple really isn't a Mercedes level of brand. They are pretty much the Buick of the computer world.
Honestly, I cannot see why people place so much value on Mercedes or BMW. If you look at the reliability ratings in Consumer Reports for these brands (which are some of the most unreliable brands on the market according to their research), part of what you end up paying for for the bragging rights is to expect that your vehicle will develop problems and they will be expensive to fix. IMO, I would not want to pay the premium price for these vehicles just to end up being inconvenienced by a lack or reliability and the exorbitant costs to have them fixed when they do break down.

And I get it that people who buy these brands can afford it, however, even if I could afford it, these brands are not worth my having to be inconvenienced when they are in the repair shop.

Knowing Apple, everyone will need a license agreement to even look at their EVs.

Honestly, I cannot see why people place so much value on Mercedes or BMW. If you look at the reliability ratings in Consumer Reports for these brands (which are some of the most unreliable brands on the market according to their research), part of what you end up paying for for the bragging rights is to expect that your vehicle will develop problems and they will be expensive to fix. IMO, I would not want to pay the premium price for these vehicles just to end up being inconvenienced by a lack or reliability and the exorbitant costs to have them fixed when they do break down.

And I get it that people who buy these brands can afford it, however, even if I could afford it, these brands are not worth my having to be inconvenienced when they are in the repair shop.
most people who drive a luxury brand actually lease the car or trade them in before the factory warranty ends. That said, there are some reliable models in both camps. I'm a Mercedes leaning guy because once you fix their major issues you have a very reliable car. There is a reason you can pick up an SL 550 for $5000, that's because it needs $8-10,000 worth of work. But, if you put that work into it(or you're a car guy like me and you can do it yourself for less) you have a $100,000 luxury sports car for $15,000.

Something I REALLY love to do is I take older cars and I can rewire them to put new headunits and radios in while keeping ALL OF the factory functions. My current car is a 2005 Honda CRV. I took the thing apart and added a 7" touch screen with backup camera for ~$300.

Civic? Think you’re getting confused with Honda
I don't follow

EDIT: I re-read my post and see what you're talking about now. A civic was the first thing that came to mind when I was thinking about cheap cars, I know that they aren't made by Hyundai. I wasn't talking about any brand in particular, just a cheap car everyone knows/can relate to. Thanks for pointing that out, I kinda' feel silly now

Last edited:
most people who drive a luxury brand actually lease the car or trade them in before the factory warranty ends. That said, there are some reliable models in both camps. I'm a Mercedes leaning guy because once you fix their major issues you have a very reliable car. There is a reason you can pick up an SL 550 for $5000, that's because it needs $8-10,000 worth of work. But, if you put that work into it(or you're a car guy like me and you can do it yourself for less) you have a $100,000 luxury sports car for $15,000.

Something I REALLY love to do is I take older cars and I can rewire them to put new headunits and radios in while keeping ALL OF the factory functions. My current car is a 2005 Honda CRV. I took the thing apart and added a 7" touch screen with backup camera for ~$300.
I can see what you are trying to do, and if you then sell them for a profit, it sounds like a great investment idea; however, buying them new from a dealer is, IMO, a risky option. Like Forrest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get." I wonder how many of those cars that you have bought used and fixed were from someone with money to burn and then decided that the car was too unreliable to keep.

Back