Apple applies for patent to bring wireless charging to Smart Cover

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple has applied for a patent that would allow iPad owners to charge their tablet using a special version of the company’s Smart Cover. Referred to as “Integrated Inductive Charging in Protective Cover” in the application filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the cover would contain inductive power coils and perhaps a battery that could be used to wirelessly provide power to the slate when covering the display.

What Apple described in the patent application is a bit different than what we typically see with wireless induction charging. Instead of facilitating power from a stationary base or dock, the Smart Cover would contain the power transmitter that’s usually found in the base or dock of a charging station, essentially creating an on-the-go wireless charger.

apple ipad smart cover wireless charging

Naturally, the Smart Cover itself would also need to be charged up before use which we assume could occur wirelessly when the iPad is plugged in. It seems unlikely that the Smart Cover would require its own charging cable. What’s more, the patent suggests the Smart Cover could contain solar cells to collect free energy from the sun.

The new Smart Cover would also use the existing magnet technology used to align the cover correctly on the iPad.

It’s worth pointing out that existing iPads don’t not contain inductive charging technology which means a powered Smart Cover would only work with future, equipped models. That said, it’s also worth mentioning that most patents actually never see the light of day so the odds are slim that Apple will actually bring this to market one day.

Permalink to story.

Well induction charging takes almost twice as long to charge a device then the standard wall charger. I do like the idea of solar cell covers. Now that sounds do-able. Especially if youre like me and live in a place that has sunshine 355 days of the year. I have even purchased a solar charger for my phone so one for a tablet isnt to far off.

Well induction charging takes almost twice as long to charge a device then the standard wall charger. I do like the idea of solar cell covers. Now that sounds do-able. Especially if youre like me and live in a place that has sunshine 355 days of the year. I have even purchased a solar charger for my phone so one for a tablet isnt to far off.
My iPad 3 takes so long to charge as is. They improved charging speed with the iPad 4 and new wall charger, but this will be basically going backwards lol

If they make the cover fold flat on the back of the iPad, this could be cool. You can use it while charging.

I dont know a lot about electricity and chargers but... How do you make a charged passive object to transfer all the charge to another object? Best Case: Charge will balance, like two parallel capacitors...

Back