Apple Card may be made of titanium but it is incredibly fragile

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Apple’s first credit card is now available to any eligible iPhone owner in the US. Primarily a digital product, Cupertino also offers a stylish physical card crafted of titanium. It’s one of the heaviest cards on the market and apparently one of the most delicate.

In a support document titled, “How to clean your Apple Card,” Apple notes that the card’s white finish is achieved through a multi-layer coating process added to the titanium base material. If the card comes into contact with hard surfaces or other materials, the coating could be damaged, Apple warns.

As such, it is advised to store the card in a wallet, pocket or bag made of soft material. If placed in a slot in your wallet or billfold, don’t put it against another card as it could get scratched. Apple also recommends not placing the card in your pocket or a bag that contains loose change, keys or other abrasive objects.

Worse yet, the tech giant cautions that some fabrics like leather and denim could cause permanent discoloration that will not wash off. The card should still work, it just won’t look as pristine as the day you received it.

Moral of the story: don’t put the Apple Card near your leather wallet or jeans?

Should your card come into contact with other contaminants, Apple suggests using a lint-free microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol to clean it. Household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, ammonia, abrasives or compressed air shouldn’t be used to clean the card.

Masthead credit: Apple Card by Primakov

Permalink to story.

Oh this will change really fast. Because anyone who even gives a you-know-what that their card looks worn are just going to go, "Hey Apple. I lost my card, send me a new one."

I ordered mine when the invitation came. The physical card is a gimmick, but it may be necessary for people who live in places that don't take ApplePay.

My problem is:

#1 My Capital One Venture Card has been my main credit card and I rely on it for the points so I can upgrade my flights to Business or first when I travel frequently to Asia.

Apple Card's return on spending is too low unless you spend with Apple itself.

#2 In regards to fragility, they suggest not wearing jeans or leather when you put it in your pocket. I use a wallet. I would guess it's gonna spend most of its time in my locked box to avoid bending it.

Slow news day imo. Card is not fragile per se, but the surface gets dirty easily. Just think, someone was paid to write that story!

Slow news day imo. Card is not fragile per se, but the surface gets dirty easily. Just think, someone was paid to write that story!
Clickbait titles are getting more common, almost as much as how Apple doesn't really care about their newer products.

Reading "The card may discolour if stored in your jeans pant" is not as impactfull as "...may be made of titanium but incredibly fragile". I thought I was going to read a new version of BendGate but it was simply a read about how new Apple products are poorly designed.

As opposed to my plastic cards that are all scratched up, chipped and look like crap, but who cares?

I would say they were more fragile than a metal card, even if it will not look pristine forever. Is it then incorrect to say the Apple Card is more fragile than the plastic ones?

Come on would you rather have a plastic card? Although personally I’m still shocked that people still use cards. I guess a lot of people buy drugs!

Come on would you rather have a plastic card? Although personally I’m still shocked that people still use cards. I guess a lot of people buy drugs!
If you're buying drugs with cards, you're doing it wrong. If you're using credit card and then paying it off FULL at the end of every month to get incentives, points, cash back, and what not, then you're doing it right.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that you're storing the card wrong as you shouldn't put it in leather wallets (which most people have) and shouldn't put in a pocket (which most people do).

It's hilarious because Chase's metal credit card works well and have been for years and does not need babying while this one does yet Apple basically says it's the people's fault.

If you're buying drugs with cards, you're doing it wrong. If you're using credit card and then paying it off FULL at the end of every month to get incentives, points, cash back, and what not, then you're doing it right.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that you're storing the card wrong as you shouldn't put it in leather wallets (which most people have) and shouldn't put in a pocket (which most people do).

It's hilarious because Chase's metal credit card works well and have been for years and does not need babying while this one does yet Apple basically says it's the people's fault.
My point was, if you need a card you need to withdraw cash. I use Apple Pay for practically everything these days, it’s very convenient. However this does mean I can’t withdraw cash unless I grab my debit card.

Either way, I have a titanium wallet and I don’t ever wear denim. I will definitely applying for an Apple Card. And if I ever do need cash, my card will be just fine. I think it’s quite cool that it’s not plastic, sets it above other manufacturers.

Of course, it’s from Apple, all the misinformed and low intelligent out there are going to hurl abuse at them no matter what they do.

Back