Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak recovering after minor stroke

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A speedy recovery: Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is back at home and "doing good" following a recent health scare. During a trip to Mexico City to speak at the World Business Forum, Wozniak, 73, experienced a dizzy spell while typing on his computer. Out of an abundance of caution, the serial tech entrepreneur went to a local hospital which proved to be a wise move.

An MRI and additional testing revealed a small capillary leak and symptoms of vertigo. Physicians told Wozniak he had suffered a minor stroke. He was released from the hospital a day later and flew back to his home in Los Gatos, California.

Wozniak, who co-founded Apple Computer Company along with Steve Jobs and Ronald Wayne in 1976, told The New York Times that the worst part of the whole experience was having to stay on a gurney for 24 hours without being allowed to roll onto his side.

The incident forced Wozniak to cancel scheduled appearances in Dubai, Colombia, and Azerbaijan.

Wozniak left Apple in the mid-80s to launch a startup that produced the world's first programmable remote control. Despite departing Apple decades ago, he is still paid by the company on a weekly basis.

During an interview on Guy Kawasaki's Remarkable People podcast in 2020, Woz said he was never taken off Apple's payroll. In fact, he said he is the only person that has received a paycheck every week since the company's inception. After taxes are withheld, Wozniak receives about $50 from Apple weekly.

According to Woz, it is all about loyalty.

Asked at the time why he simply does not return to Apple and continue his journey there, Wozniak said he is simply too outspoken and doesn't want to have to give up that trait.

The serial entrepreneur has been involved in a number of projects since leaving Apple including a stint on ABC's Dancing with the Stars reality show. His latest, Privateer Space, launched in 2021 and is tasked with managing debris in space.

Permalink to story.

Get well. He needs to lose some weight for sure.

Just shows human nature - we all don't look after ourselves one way or another - But with seriously rich people - can have personal chefs.dieticians , personal trainers , access to top facilities - people to play games with .
Access to lots of fun activities - horse riding , back country skiing etc , reef diving etc

Can have own gym - hot spa , cold immersion pool - whatever

We can do some of this ourselves - but we need to channel more will power - eg snacks - easy to forget about healthy snacks in evening - eg carrot , cucumber sticks and low salt hummus

Maybe lots of these people are workaholics - and sitting day all day

Yeah no one wants a stroke - so keep moving every once and awhile and watch weight and blood pressure

Over the years I have met Woz a number of times, the first at AppleVention at Cincinnati. He was always outspoken but his points were clear and to the point and never a BS'er. Sorry we don't have anything like that where I live now but the memories are none the less happy .....

Did a 1 minute rabbit hole search
Stroke increases roughly 1.5% chance with
Janssen Ad26.COV2-S vaccine- not so much maybe the others [
Factor that vs Covid 19 risk I suppose-
There will always be those out there who are willing to promote FUD.

My doctor told me that what the COVID vaccine is supposed to do these days is to prevent severe cases and hospitalization - not prevent someone from getting COVID. That seems consistent with the experience of those who got vaccinated against COVID and then got COVID.

Just shows human nature - we all don't look after ourselves one way or another - But with seriously rich people - can have personal chefs.dieticians , personal trainers , access to top facilities - people to play games with .
Access to lots of fun activities - horse riding , back country skiing etc , reef diving etc

Can have own gym - hot spa , cold immersion pool - whatever

We can do some of this ourselves - but we need to channel more will power - eg snacks - easy to forget about healthy snacks in evening - eg carrot , cucumber sticks and low salt hummus

Maybe lots of these people are workaholics - and sitting day all day

Yeah no one wants a stroke - so keep moving every once and awhile and watch weight and blood pressure
Personally, I think our society has become one of where people expect that others will look after us. IMO, that does not work because its a codependent model.

I look after myself first, and expect no one to look after me - even my doctor because its been my experience that doctors are learning in their "practice" and my doctors have been against me doing what I thought was right - and then several years later, guess what? It became the norm to do what I was doing years ago.

Personally, I think our society has become one of where people expect that others will look after us. IMO, that does not work because its a codependent model.

I look after myself first, and expect no one to look after me - even my doctor because its been my experience that doctors are learning in their "practice" and my doctors have been against me doing what I thought was right - and then several years later, guess what? It became the norm to do what I was doing years ago.
We are kind of off topic

Doctors vary a lot - some get lazy . some get tunnel vision

As you get older you get better listening to your own body

Doctors ands patients should work together - Plus doctors have to remember to listen

I got quite sick in 97 - did a massive workout - then a work party that night in London - drinking - went to 3am - came out into pouring cold rain - anyway set of - TB that was residing in my body from a 91 trip to China - flared then in China for a couple of days - massive chest pains , fatigue - came right - didn't know I had pericardial TB

Anyway did my own research in London as TB kicked in - told Dr. could be pericarditis - he said no way - a week later after blacking out , fevered - when to hospital with one lung clasped , super erratic fast pulse ,very high fever . low oxygen etc - my heart tracking lines were all over the show - not flat spike , flat spike etc . Spent 2 months in hospital - never tested positive or negative for TB - as deep inside me - 3 months home rest - anyway took TB stuff for 9 months - never had anymore problems - except partial heart restriction-

The hospital did hundreds of tests - technician said I had a perfect heart - so that's a shame to spoil - Never got vaxxed - missed out in NZ by 2 years in my region - Good thing I was extremely healthy - I'm not a runner - remember that day in gym finished with a 6 minute mile at 15% incline

One Dr pre-hospital was asking stress questions - gave me some tablets for gastric reflux - threw them in the bin - as knew was a lot of crock
He asked what was my job - I said accountant - he said what type
What a fool - yes a charter accountant may have greater stress than a management , cost , project etc - but that is applied to a large sample size - for analysing one person - it sounded stupid

All free on the English NHS - so thanks again - Doctors may have stuffed up - but experts in Hospital were good - and consultants I saw afterwards

Did a 1 minute rabbit hole search
Stroke increases roughly 1.5% chance with
Janssen Ad26.COV2-S vaccine- not so much maybe the others [
Factor that vs Covid 19 risk I suppose-
Unless he had the shot within a few weeks, it is unlikely to be the trigger. Though there have been plenty of instances where it appeared the shot was the trigger to a serious medical issue - it is usually shortly after getting the shot. My 61yo mother suffered a ruptured aneurysm just 2.5 weeks after her second shot. Once your months or years from the last shot, it is extremely difficult to link it as the trigger.

Unless he had the shot within a few weeks, it is unlikely to be the trigger. Though there have been plenty of instances where it appeared the shot was the trigger to a serious medical issue - it is usually shortly after getting the shot. My 61yo mother suffered a ruptured aneurysm just 2.5 weeks after her second shot. Once your months or years from the last shot, it is extremely difficult to link it as the trigger.
That's what my 1 minute search said as well - thing within 2 or 3 weeks

I think I have had 4 shots now - just from osmosis of news - think the worse is myocardial complications in young people - but not sure if covid would had triggered same response or something about a particular vax .
I know people as individuals choosing or waiting for a particular vax
I did my 1 minute search to see if any truth and not just a natural freedom fighter claim
as tech readers if you want to claim say climate change is a hoax -and eg you say just a natural cycle and it was warmer in Roman times - then a one minute search with debunk this quickly ( yes it was warm in roman times - but this was localised and not a world wide phenomena )

And then start thinking - all these gotcha points big oil pump out to paid bloggers - never amount to anything - or is just science correcting - but doesn't change underlying pattern

The point is not to be right - but to keep learning and be open - even if maybe doesn't seem right on face value to yourself
TBF it the current world even in hindsight hard to know best strategy , or if change is good or bad

With respect to Covid strategy all countries messed up - need more nuanced and surgical tools eg lockdowns vs economic, health ( cancer undiagnosed for example ), mental, structural etc costs - some countries health , mental, economies still way behind

Back