Apple doesn't care about games, a former Apple Store editor said

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
Why it matters: Neil Long is now a journalist running a website focused on the mobile games industry. As a former editor for Apple's App Store games section, Long says Cupertino isn't much interested in games despite the enormous margins it collects from developers.

Long spent seven years as an App Store games editor, so he should know Apple's business prerogatives. He recently told The Guardian that games are anything but a priority for Apple. Despite being the company that sparked the mobile revolution, Long opined that Apple behaves like a parasitic landlord rather than a reliable platform holder.

Long said the mobile revolution started "so well" as the iPhone and iPad arrived on the market and transformed games as much as the rest of the tech world. Suddenly everyone had "powerful games machines in their pockets," Long recalled, and some "wonderful" developers exploited the new potential market launching their careers in the gaming business.

Thanks to the Apple Store, Zach Gage kickstarted his career with SpellTower, Adam Saltsman turned platforming into a post-apocalyptic dash with Canabalt, and Lucas Pope made puzzler Helsing's Fire before bringing the award-winning Papers, Please to the masses. The App Store was a boon for some mainstream blockbusters too. Angry Birds, Triple Town, and New Star Soccer are among the many "mainstream bangers" released on Apple's platform.

So what happened after Apple turned mobile gaming into a new money-making machine? "Nothing," Long said. The company seemed to create a new game ecosystem just "by accident" and has presided over it like a "contemptuous landlord" ever since. Apple takes its meaty 30-percent fee over almost every in-app purchase while doing "next to nothing" to earn all that money.

The free-to-play phenomenon has transformed the market, providing developers a new way to earn money from "whale" players and advertising instead of asking everyone for cash upfront. Meanwhile, Long stated that Apple's behavior and current privacy policies – like the "ask app not to track" pop-up – have actively harmed the mobile game business.

Apple's small App Review team has been overwhelmed from the start. The understaffed group is supposed to check whether a game – or an app, for that matter – should be approved for sale or rejected. However, the sad reality is that they cannot possibly handle the volume of content that comes through nowadays.

Long said Apple is still a contemptuous App Store landlord despite the marketplace being overrun by fake apps, unlicensed copycats, and rip-offs of copyrighted (and well-known) brands like Pokemon, Minecraft, and others. Apple could have invested a slight fraction of all the billions earned through mobile games to make the App Store an excellent place to find fun and exciting games.

However, not everything is lost. Government agencies have started to scrutinize mobile app stores, which could force Apple and Google to innovate or lose their monopolistic grip over the app business.

Permalink to story.

"Meanwhile, Long stated that Apple's behavior and current privacy policies – like the "ask app not to track" pop-up – have actively harmed the mobile game business."

How is this a bad thing? It shouldn't even be necessary to deal with a pop-up. "Do not track" should be the default. No app should be tracking me or selling my information to anyone. If they aren't making enough from the app itself and in-game transactions, they deserve to fail.

Why change if you don't have to? How many you guys would still be lying on the couch eating nachos if your wife/gf didn't cut you off?

Hmm. Hmmmm. When I hear people critique giant corps, all I can think about all those companies that grew up big and died long ago.
Apple makes amazing thing and is one of the most amazing
product maker in the world whether you like/use it or not.
P.S. I dont currently own any Apple products

"Meanwhile, Long stated that Apple's behavior and current privacy policies – like the "ask app not to track" pop-up – have actively harmed the mobile game business."

How is this a bad thing? It shouldn't even be necessary to deal with a pop-up. "Do not track" should be the default. No app should be tracking me or selling my information to anyone. If they aren't making enough from the app itself and in-game transactions, they deserve to fail.
Apple is putting up a wall preventing others from profiting off your information and tracking, but they never promised they wouldn't keep that data for themselves. Which is the problem. They are being hypocrites.

Oh no, the App Store protects the customers, not the game developers! The horror!

I think the truth is a little bit more gray - wonder where that game went that you use to like - Apple culled like the seal cub it was for no reason than it was old
The Apple tax to buy a game is working for ya ?

Are you really protecting the customer not allowing a good freemium system

I don't download apps or games - but I remember the good customer days on Android buying full games , seasons for my son for $3 - probably same on apple - I looked on his Ipad a year or 2 ago - games way overpriced , ongoing subs for games Ipad $3 outright like angry birds .
If I wanted excellent cheap mobile gaming then I would get a steam deck , or emulator

I don't need Apple protecting me with it's mafioso tactics - as stated in article still poor vetting system - yeah google isn't much better - but I'm a big boy and decide for myself what permissions , if I tolerate targeted adverts etc

Ever since they got rid of Fortnite from the app store it's never been the same </3

I could have told you that -- they stopped updating OpenGL (so they've had OpenGL 4.6-capable hardware for over 10 years, but only support OpenGL 4.1 on it), and decided to not support Vulkan. Enough said.

And apparently Metal is not feature-complete -- people working on Vulkan to metal translation are getting the rude surprise that Metal has no way to perform certain operations that Vulkan expects to be available.

That's the problem with not having competition. They don't have to try. They can set whatever one-sided policies they want, charge whatever fees they want, and not have to try because there is no competitor to take their market share. Some may argue that Google is their competitor, but not at the app store level. If Apple really cared about privacy and security, they would build it in at the App level rather than the App store level.

Funny anecdote... the first piece of software for the Mac was a game. It was even bundled with it, I think. It was called Alice and was a chess-like game based on Alice in Wonderland as far as I recall.

It was originally developed on the Lisa but the guy who made it said he doesn't have a copy of that code and that it may only (if the code could be found) run on a prototype Lisa box rather than a shipped Lisa 1.

Second funny anecdote... Apple pirated both the Star Wars franchise and the Star Trek franchise, at the same time. It released a cassette with its 'Star Wars' game on one side and its 'Star Trek' game on the other. This was also bundled briefly with the Apple II, I think.

Steve Jobs also used all of his reality distortion tactics to hype Halo on the Mac (the blue G3 tower). It ended up being vaporware on the platform.

Steve Jobs also used all of his reality distortion tactics to hype Halo on the Mac (the blue G3 tower). It ended up being vaporware on the platform.
That's what happens when Microsoft buys out a company (Bungie) with a proven game development track record (Marathon series) who has a new great game in the pike (Halo) when MS is desperate for a killer app for their newest money-sink (original XBox).

That's what happens when Microsoft buys out a company (Bungie) with a proven game development track record (Marathon series) who has a new great game in the pike (Halo) when MS is desperate for a killer app for their newest money-sink (original XBox).
It's an interesting counterpoint to the belief that Apple doesn't, and has never cared about, gaming.

It does seem that that episode soured Apple's executives on gaming, though.

Back