Spread the love! TechSpot Tech Gift Shortlist 2017

Apple employees reportedly unhappy with open office plan at Apple Park

By Cal Jeffrey ยท 15 replies
Aug 10, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Even though Apple Park, also known as the Spaceship, is not scheduled to be completed until the end of 2017, most of the construction is done. In fact, the company has already started moving employees into the new facility and expects to have over 12,000 employees settled in before the end of the year.

While some may be enjoying the new digs, at least a few are upset with the layout of the workspace.

For the new campus, Apple decided to go with an open work environment. Employees will sit together at large tables rather than in cubicles or offices. Bloomberg reported that Apple’s intent in the design was to foster collaboration between teams. However, there are those that feel that not having their own space will be too distracting. Even some of the executives seem unhappy about the arrangement.

John Gruber, the host of Daring Fireball’s “The Talk Show,” claims that Apple’s Vice President of Hardware Technologies, Johny Srouji, went on a profanity-strewn rant when he saw the plans for the work area.

“When [Srouji] was shown the floor plans, he was more or less just 'F--- that, f--- you, f--- this, this is bulls---.' And they built his team their own building, off to the side on the campus … My understanding is that that building was built because Srouji was like, 'F--— this, my team isn't working like this.’”

Gruber does admit that he heard this from a third party and has no way to confirm it but says it rings true to him. People that do this kind of work like to have an office or cubicle so that they are free from distractions. “They don’t want to be looking up from their screen every time someone walks by their desk,” he said.

Srouji and his team aren't the only ones excluded from the open concept. Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue, and his crew will be taking over offices off-campus at Infinite Loop. Additionally, many executives including Tim Cook will have private offices on the fourth floor of the new HQ.

Permalink to story.

2. ZackL04

ZackL04 TS Addict Posts: 201   +84

My wife works as a architectual designer for office headquarters among other companies/spaces.

They are all moving to the open floor plans to introduce more natural light, collaboration and more importantly maximize space. They frequently downsize or eliminate the executives office too.

Its all business

3. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,254   +419

Lol so the lower ranking employee stuck with open concept and the higher ups have office why am I not surprised.

4. Mr Majestyk

Mr Majestyk TS Enthusiast Posts: 44   +18

Not it all sucks. It's a deliberate attempt to destroy moral and it produces lower productivity. All the moronic tech companies do it now and it's disgusting. So glad I went back to work at a University after the soul destruction foisted on us at Canon Australia. We had massive floor space yet were crammed into tiny little desks with 6" high dividers. No privacy, no respite from the coughing, sneezing constant chatter, phone calls, photocopier/printer, always being watched.

Reehahs, Theinsanegamer and failquail like this.
  5. tomkaten

tomkaten TS Maniac Posts: 221   +143

Ahh, open spaces... Because seeing your workmates pick their noses and hearing the delicately intertwined sound of thousands of keys being pressed at once seriously boosts productivity :cool:

6. Peter Farkas

Peter Farkas TS Addict Posts: 265   +84

well said. I have been working in an open office environment all my life and I fu**ing hate it. It is extremely counter-productive for people like me.
    This brave new world with open spaces and extreme multitasking at work is perfect for killing us before 50.
    We might need another civil rights movement where "my space" would be respected and that I would not be forced to hear, smell, see, feel the noise, stench, nose-picking etc... of others for 8-12hrs a day.

tomkaten likes this.
  7. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,657   +1,048

Do they actually have data and research to back this up design logic or is this just the cool new theoretical trend?

Cal Jeffrey likes this.
  8. ZackL04

ZackL04 TS Addict Posts: 201   +84

Nope, well the natural light and maximizing space is a fact, but collaboration is an "idea" to help push the new design. Its part of a sales pitch really.

stewi0001 likes this.
  9. Wes Brown

Wes Brown TS Rookie

I worked at Apple's CS offices in Austin when they went from cubes to the open office layout.

There was a lot of hate. There was only a 6 inch divider between desks, they insisted on no blinds so if you worked early or late you were going to get some mad glare off those glossy screens or sun right in your eyes, they shrank the desk size, and.. AND they started requiring shoes.

Reehahs and tomkaten like this.
  10. gusticles41

gusticles41 TS Maniac Posts: 187   +167

My office is all about the collaborative thing, but they don't force it upon employees like this.

Give everyone a nice cube/office and a little privacy, but open up the rest of the building with common areas, nice conference rooms, lots of windows. Everyone's happy.

This layout makes me think of a classroom...gross

Cal Jeffrey likes this.
  11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 8,647   +3,272

Open & airy. Closed & claustrophobic. It makes no difference to me just as long as I can work for myself and not a boss. That's the most important thing as far as I'm concerned.

12. Stiqy

Stiqy TS Rookie Posts: 17   +13

Pretty much forces everyone to have noise cancelling air-pods in their ears all day to get things done and never talk to anyone they don't have to.

Cal Jeffrey likes this.
  13. eblackmo

eblackmo TS Rookie

I work for a large government department and they decided that no one was going to have an assigned desk and everyone was going to hot desk. They also had pods and people would sit facing each other with no dividers.

It proved to be a very bad idea.

14. Stoppanda

Stoppanda TS Rookie

I went from a cubical with a windows to a small cube in a middle isle with just enough space for me to grab both ends of the dividers on either side of my desk! they said it was to save space that my whole team was put into these cubes, but my old area was turned into a lounge type area with sofas and common tables that no one really uses at all. So what was saved?? Now we can all hear each other speaking on the phone and privacy is out the window. Milton had more space in Office Space!!! I can't even see the squirrels out the windows .(..they were merry!) or play music at a reasonable volume....( I got my beats...as my daughter says)

15. ShepDog

ShepDog TS Rookie

I just transitioned to a 100% remote software development position. Private office, desk, chair and monitors picked out by me and it's heaven. I'll never work in an open office or cube farm again.

16. Cal Jeffrey

Cal Jeffrey TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 571   +170

I've always had a private office, but occasionally I have to share it when I train new managers. I can't stand it. The last time I trained I had three other people in there with me and it was absolute hell. The talking, the cramped space, I couldn't stand it. I can only imagine what it would be like with 100 people all sharing the same room to work. Ugh! No thanks.