Apple executives suggest iTV isn't coming anytime soon

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Despite rumors, speculation and even confirmation from Steve Jobs that he had finally “cracked it,” an Apple television set still appears unlikely to turn up in the near future. Apple has publically stated that they will only enter a market if they feel they can create a great consumer product that addresses key problems found in other devices. In this instance, they know what needs to be done but convincing other necessary players to join in is proving difficult.

Following a meeting with Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer and designer Eddy Cue, Pacific Crest analyst Andy Hargreaves issued a company update today. As outlined in the note and as we have heard before, Apple feels that there are two key problems with the television industry – a poor user interface and the bundling of pay TV channels.

Fixing the interface shouldn’t be a problem as Apple could reuse what’s already available on their set-top box or recycle the iPad’s UI. The problem is getting broadcast and cable network content outside of a bundled package. This is virtually impossible as the content is owned by a small group that has no interest in breaking distribution methods already in place. Furthermore, taking such a device internationally would pose a different set of hurdles that remain impassable at this point.

It’s unclear when, or if, we will see an iTV materialize. There’s little doubt that consumers would flock to an a la carte programming structure regardless of who brings it to market. Convincing those in charge of programming, however, likely won’t happen anytime soon.

Permalink to story.

Um, despite what you might think, ITV is a UK television studio, it's been around forever (http://www.itv.com/). So, no matter what the Adolf Hitler of corporations thinks (Apple), ITV is a UK TV company not the worlds largest Foxconn rebranding company.

The way I see it, place shifting, sharing media, skipping commercials, and retrieving local media are some of my key problems. And usage rights screws with most of those. Bid Media doesn't want me to watch a show that I record at home while at work. They won't let me watch it remote with someone at home. (Think deployed soldier who might want to watch TV with his wife at home.) They don't want me to store my DVD/Blue-Rays in a central media server so I can pull them up at ease. Apple cannot address many key problems because they originate at the content providers.

I hope the reason why apple delay apple tv isn't caused by Samsung planned to immediately sue this as soon as possible when launched :p

Back