Apple expects new dark blue option will help it sell 68 million 5G iPhone 12 handsets...

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Despite the pandemic causing smartphone sales to plummet, Apple appears confident that its upcoming 5G iPhones will see high demand. According to a new report, the company has asked suppliers to make at least 75 million handsets for later this year. It's also preparing a new iPad Air and smaller HomePod, along with other devices.

Citing people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg writes that Apple expects 5G iPhone 12 shipments to reach as high as 80 million in 2020. As we've heard before, there will be four new devices: two lower-end 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch handsets and two Pro models in 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch sizes, the latter of which will be the largest display ever found in an iPhone. The non-Pro variants are expected to arrive first.

All new iPhones will feature OLED panels and come with iPad Pro-style square edges, with the high-end versions featuring stainless steel sides rather than aluminum. There's a new dark blue color option replacing midnight green, and "at least" the largest of the Pro phones will get the same LiDAR Scanner found in the 2020 iPad Pro models.

Every device will feature the new A14 SoC that's built on TSMC's 5nm process node, which should offer around 15 percent more performance and 30 percent less power drain than its predecessor.

Interestingly, a few of Apple's testers have found 5G isn't as revolutionary as promised, with current 5G networks "not improving connection speeds much."

Elsewhere, Apple is said to be working on a new iPad Air that features an edge-to-edge display much like the iPad Pro. Previous rumors say it will come with either an under-screen Touch ID or a Touch ID power button and have a 10.8-inch display.

There are also two new Apple Watch versions—Series 6 and a new budget option—which could come with blood oxygen monitoring. Over-ear headphones, possibly called the AirPods Studio, are arriving, along with a smaller HomePod speaker that will be cheaper than the $299 current version.

Apple has reportedly been developing a new Apple TV box that comes with a faster processor for improved gaming and an upgraded remote control that has a feature similar to Find My, allowing it to be located when misplaced.

Finally, Airtags are said to be in the works. These Bluetooth tracking devices can be attached to items such as keys and wallets so they can be found using the Find My app.

Main Image credit: EverythingApplePro

Permalink to story.

All the "leaks" and "fake Apple news" have been promising me a dark Blue iPhone for years.

I absolutely hope it does come true and we do get a Blue iPhone 12, but ultimately, there are only 2 reasons I'll be upgrading from my XS Max 512GB.

#1 I need 1TB of storage. If they only increase it beyond 512 to 768, that will still be OK to me.

#2 I need a new phone for the faster CPU, 3rd rear camera and new battery. My XS's battery health is dropping below 90% and performance isn't as good as it was one year ago.

I still love my phone and I could always just upgrade the battery to brand new at Apple store if they don't give me what I want in the 12. For my 4K 60fps Youtube videos, it does exactly what I need it to do.

I just want larger storage so I can make longer Travel Vlogs and capture more of that "Business/first" class airline vlog revenue.

Just put a gap between two layers of glass and pump different color gas there using the phone settings....!

When a company believes that the phone color is the contributing factor to selling the product, it tells us how low they think of their own buyers.
As a fellow tech enthusiast, I also place little importance on phone color.

As someone who has casually followed the mobile phone business for nearly three decades now, I can tell you that phones being partially a fashion item is an undeniable part of the industry and anyone who thinks it is not is simply underinformed. Of course Apple has the expertise to know this, as does every financial analyst who follows the company, and for either side to ignore it in a projections discussion would be weird.

The relative weight of this factor does vary from region to region and time to time.

Come on Apple - why no true iridescent metallic ?
or get that water/oil sheen look.
Holographic?
20 layers of colour and lacquers for the 3d multiple colour look.
I can buy toilet seats more interesting than dark blue
Platinum, gold and crystal flakes embedded in 8 layers .
Glow in the dark aliens- ( think that's trademarked )
Frosted or mirrored with possible etchings
Fully lathed exotic alloys .
Japanese steel folded 1 million times by a nonagenarian master

They are not even trying for my NZ $2000

Can someone explain to me who these 75 million people are that keep buying $1,000+ phones each year? This makes no sense to me. Why do people feel the need to get the same looking phone for another big chunk of cash each year? This also means 75 million old phones are basically thrown away. Where are these giant piles of old iPhones? I hope people realize this can't go on forever. The planet's resources may seem limitless, but it's definitely finite and at some point we will run into trouble if keep going down this *****ic consumerism road.

If I were upgrading this year I’d definitely go for the blue one. But if there wasn’t a blue one I’d go for another colour. Colour of the phone has never made me change my mind about which phone I’m buying. But it is nice! I got the green iPhone last year and I think it’s a little bit more interesting than grey at least.

Back