Apple insiders leak that iPhone 14 will bring back Touch ID via 'in-screen' fingerprint...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Rumor mill: Apple is reportedly bringing back Touch ID on the iPhone 14 in 2022. However, Face ID will not be going away. Instead, the future flagship will have both biometric authentication methods integrated into the design.

According to iPhone tipster Mark Gurman, Apple has been testing "an in-display fingerprint scanner" in this year's prototypes. Unfortunately, the feature will not be ready for a fall release, so Apple is looking to implement it in 2022 phones.

Gurman's sources say that Face ID will still be featured on the iPhone 14 but will condense the sensors into a smaller front-camera notch. The insiders said that Apple plans to do away with the cutout entirely but did not share specifics on when. Ridding the phone of that terrible notch will be a blessing to those who have (myself included) been annoyed that their edge-to-edge screen is not E2E.

The insiders were unclear on whether users could use the two authentications methods in tandem or if it will be a one-or-the-other choice. Bloomberg reached out to Apple for clarification, but a company spokesperson unsurprisingly declined to comment.

The iPhone 14 is still more than a year away, and anything can change between now and then. As always, take leaks from anonymous sources like this with a healthy dose of sodium chloride.

That said, I would not be unhappy to see Touch ID make a comeback. I have hated Face ID from day one, and the recent pandemic requiring me to wear a mask only made me hate it more. The iPhone X Max is the last iPhone I purchased for that reason alone. Even as a secondary option, bringing back Touch ID might allow me to consider upgrading, but we'll have to see if it makes Apple's cut in 2022.

Image credit: Lukenn Sabellano

Permalink to story.

Damn it. I was holding on to my 6S in hopes that the iPhone 13 would have a finger print reader. Guess I'll need to upgrade to an 8 or something and wait another year. My poor old 6S is lagging pretty bad at this point. Also, of course Apple would wait until AFTER the pandemic is over and we take off our masks to implement this.

Damn it. I was holding on to my 6S in hopes that the iPhone 13 would have a finger print reader. Guess I'll need to upgrade to an 8 or something and wait another year. My poor old 6S is lagging pretty bad at this point. Also, of course Apple would wait until AFTER the pandemic is over and we take off our masks to implement this.
If your 6S is anything like mine, is the slowness because of this? Because if so, then a $50 battery replacement from Apple would probably suit you better.

0-DA6340-C-4088-434-B-BC40-02-FAA1-C03-B89.jpg

I still use my iPhone 8 and hadn't even realised that they removed Touch ID from later models. That's a shame, I use Touch ID all the time and I love it! I won't be upgrading until there is a new model with Touch ID.

I may even go back to Android instead, if there ever comes one that takes good natural pictures, without over-sharpening and color exaggerating post processing filters that can't be disabled.

I will take this with a pinch of salt. I've heard they may bring back Touch ID since iPhone 11. In the end as we know, iPhone 11, 12 and potentially 13 won't get it. In times where people are mandated to put in a mask, I feel Apple is very slow to make necessary changes. Waiting for the technology to mature is a lame excuse when finger print scanners used on phones have improved significantly since they were introduced on Android phones.

Inscreen scanners or horrible. On my s21+ it always takes a few tries, doesn't work if your hands are dirty and forget about using it with a screen protector. Honestly, the face scanner usually unlocks my before the finger print scanner.

Inscreen scanners or horrible. On my s21+ it always takes a few tries, doesn't work if your hands are dirty and forget about using it with a screen protector. Honestly, the face scanner usually unlocks my before the finger print scanner.
Nonsense. On my S21U I can unlock the phone holding it any orientation I want. Doesn't matter what angle it direction I touch the screen.

I've never had a problem on my OnePlus 7 Pro, It's worked flawlessly for the two years I've owned it. Only time it doesn't really work is when the screens wet or my hands are dirty, of which would be the same with any other fingerprint reader.

You know if only there was a solution to your problem.....hmm like I don't know buying an Android phone? Waiting and waiting till Apple has mercy on you and brings back Touch ID is as pathetic as it gets.........

That whole phone barely costs $50, ain't worth it IMO.
Yes but no one is trying to sell these devices so the monetary value is irrelevant. What is relevant to me is the comparison between an affordable option and my phone--$50 to keep the phone going another two years (which works fantastic during that time) or spending $400 on another iPhone with slightly better specs. If my phone dies or a new SE comes out, I'll get a new phone but until then I'm not going to.

You know if only there was a solution to your problem.....hmm like I don't know buying an Android phone? Waiting and waiting till Apple has mercy on you and brings back Touch ID is as pathetic as it gets.........
I know, right. About as bad as hoping that your android phone gets the security updates it needs to patch vulnerabilities if your phone manufacturer or carrier decide to get off their lazy butts and push it to whatever model you have.

Also, switching ecosystems when you've used one since before the other existed, isn't an easy process.

If your 6S is anything like mine, is the slowness because of this? Because if so, then a $50 battery replacement from Apple would probably suit you better.
Thanks for the advice, but no. I replaced the battery a couple years ago, still have 89%. It's just slow because it's old and latest iOS.

I know, right. About as bad as hoping that your android phone gets the security updates it needs to patch vulnerabilities if your phone manufacturer or carrier decide to get off their lazy butts and push it to whatever model you have.

Also, switching ecosystems when you've used one since before the other existed, isn't an easy process

I've never ever had a security issue with any of my Android phones, I don't know anyone who had issues with that either. Changing eco system might be a pain but that's what you suppose to do when the manufacturer of your current device doesn't give you what you want, it's called voting with your wallet, but then again its hard to leave a cult ;)

I've never ever had a security issue with any of my Android phones, I don't know anyone who had issues with that either. Changing eco system might be a pain but that's what you suppose to do when the manufacturer of your current device doesn't give you what you want, it's called voting with your wallet, but then again its hard to leave a cult ;)
Honestly, I hate everything else that is apple. I think their business model is pretty shitty. They do make good phones though, and yes, it is missing one feature, but if I went to Android, I'd miss other features. As for the "I don't know anyone who had security issues" I don't personally know anyone who had AIDS, doesn't mean people haven't gotten it. I've been a sysadmin for 20 years, and yeah, I've never met anyone who had a security issue with their phones (apple or android), but I still get the bulletins on when it's time to patch. FYI, this came out earlier this month, hope you patched: https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2021-07-01

Honestly, I hate everything else that is apple. I think their business model is pretty shitty. They do make good phones though, and yes, it is missing one feature, but if I went to Android, I'd miss other features. As for the "I don't know anyone who had security issues" I don't personally know anyone who had AIDS, doesn't mean people haven't gotten it. I've been a sysadmin for 20 years, and yeah, I've never met anyone who had a security issue with their phones (apple or android), but I still get the bulletins on when it's time to patch. FYI, this came out earlier this month, hope you patched: https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2021-07-01

I had a patch for my phone yesterday, but in all honesty I don't read what they fix :joy: :joy: I install it when I get a notification and I move on, I don't really follow any Android security news etc

and yes, it is missing one feature, but if I went to Android, I'd miss other features.
I thought the same thing when I bit the bullet and moved to Android. Nothing, absolutely nothing do I miss from iOS. It's actually now the other way round for me. I get frustrated with how locked down iOS is, I should be allowed to set Spotify as my god damn default music player...

I thought the same thing when I bit the bullet and moved to Android. Nothing, absolutely nothing do I miss from iOS. It's actually now the other way round for me. I get frustrated with how locked down iOS is, I should be allowed to set Spotify as my god damn default music player...
Actually, now you can set Spotify as your default music player. I guess it's a pretty recent change, but still. You can also set the default browser and email app.
I've used android tablets and a long time ago a Galaxy S2. Didn't have good experiences with them really, so was kinda put off. That being said, one thing Android can't do is iMessage and FaceTime, which is pretty popular among my friends and family.

Actually, now you can set Spotify as your default music player. I guess it's a pretty recent change, but still. You can also set the default browser and email app.
I've used android tablets and a long time ago a Galaxy S2. Didn't have good experiences with them really, so was kinda put off. That being said, one thing Android can't do is iMessage and FaceTime, which is pretty popular among my friends and family.
Ah, trapped in that old chestnut. I was pretty blunt with my family and friends, if you want to get hold of me, use Signal or call me, The end. It worked for the most part, anyone I actually care about or want to talk to now use Signal.

Speaking of setting defaults, can you change the default messenger on iOS yet? It's great getting all messages in Signal and not having to change to some crappy built-in text app when someone does just send me a bog standard text message.

Android has come a long way, it really is Apple copying Android more than Android copying Apple in the last few years. I'm not sure when the Galaxy S2 came out, I've tried to steer clear of Samsung as every time I touch one I realise it's way to customised for Android, Stock Android is way better.

I left the Apple ecosystem when I had a 6 Plus, Just before the 7 came out, and went with the Sony XZ Premium, then upgraded a couple of years later to my current OnePlus 7 Pro. Before all of that I'd pretty much had every iPhone on release.

Your claim that the ultrasonic fingerprint sensor is inaccurate is utter nonsense. Even if you only register your finger in one orientation, it will easily detect your fingerprint no matter what orientation you apply your finger on the sensor after that.

Back