Apple intros iPhone 4 at WWDC 2010, available June 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

As expected, Apple today announced the next iteration of their popular iPhone smartphone. Simply dubbed iPhone 4, the device introduces some new design elements like an integrated antenna system in the form of a stainless steel band that goes around the device, a flattened glass-like back for better reception, and a new high resolution "Retina Display". The latter is able to fit 326 pixels per inch of its surface, which is beyond the display capabilities of the human retina, and obviously a marked improvement over the 3GS -- or any other smartphone -- in both brightness and clarity.

The new display is 960 by 640 pixels, with an 800-to-1 contrast ratio. Like the iPad, it also has an LCD screen with IPS technology for superior viewing angles. Most of the specs we're already familiar with from previous leaks: A4 chip, larger battery, front-facing camera, micro SIM tray, 5-megapixel camera and LED flash on the back, noise cancellation mic, among other things. But Apple also threw in a new three-axis gyroscope, which paired with the iPhone's accelerometer and compass will offer six axis orientation for gaming and much more precise movement.

The camera on the back has been fitted with a backside illuminated sensor for low light photos, and besides capturing still images it can also record 720p high-definition video at 30fps. Users will be able to edit their videos with a mobile version of iMovie which will be available for $4.99 in the App Store. Also on the software side, Apple renamed its mobile operating system iOS 4 to reflect its spread to the iPod and iPad, announced iBooks for the iPhone, touted its iAds advertising platform, and unveiled its video calling software (Wi-Fi only for now) dubbed FaceTime.

Apple's iOS 4 will be free to all 3GS, 3G, and iPod Touch 2nd generation users on June 21st. As for the new iPhone 4, pre-orders start June 15 for the 16GB ($199) and 32GB ($299) models, with the phones available in stores roughly one week later on June 24. Besides the United States, Apple will launch the new iPhone in Germany, UK, France and Japan.

Permalink to story.

Not looking forward to all the fanboy pretentiousness about iPhone 4.
Android is still better. HTC droid incredible is still better.

Whilst i am impressed with those specifications, i still don't think it is up-to scratch with mobile technology, many phones out there offer things the iPhone doesn't, so why doesn't Apple just shove all those features into 1 phone and create a phone that seriously out matches all others.

Maybe and only Maybe, when apple does that will i buy an iPhone, but apple wont do that, so i wont be buying an iPhone, regardless of these nice specs.

Cool. Except maybe apple will put some sort of magic sensor that locks down the camera to only save pictures that are sent to apple and "apple approved"

What else can you do with it? Not much! Can you use it as walkie talkie, nope.. Can it make your life better nope! Have you all seen the sky high prices just to run this phone on AT&T Wireless! Come on! Wake-up!

im sorry but in a couple of years the iphone will be nothing compared to the phones that are coming out(droid based).. there are already phones that are wayy better than the iphone but what i ment is the iphone will be garbage.. oh i just remembered something also, does apple's contract with at&t end in 2012? correct me if im wrong i think its somewhere around that time.

Probably because they wouldn't be able to shove a new one with 1-2 "new" features out the door every year and get the fanboys to line up 2-3 days to get one ;)

I honestly agree with everyone here. The iPhone is too expensive and you don't get as much experience out of the technology as the other phones in society. Wast of my time looking forward to this phone, they just made it gayer. I like the upgrade on the screen and the camera hardware but thats about it. Good way to explain it Vrmithrax lol!

If they are putting a fron camera on the i-phone, maybe the new ipod they will make will have a BACK CAMERA!!! (caps are put in case apple is reading this)

To be honest, I'm not a mac fanboy of any sort, but had the Iphone for some time and when I played with a friends HTC Evo, I immediately went and bought me one, I know bigger and better ones will be out soon due to technology but for the time being I feel in love with the Evo.

I am happy with my 16gig iPhone 3Gs that I got at wal-mart for $97 bucks...

Honestly I can with a wire attached is much more useful for the price you pay for it then the Iphone way to overpriced. Droid is a much better alternative and the best phone currently on the market. Until Windows Mobile 7 is released anyway. Allthough under the radar many reviews have proved that Windows Mobile 6.5 is the most efficient smartphone OS out there just lacking some new features and a modern update.

Yeah, i barely use the camera on my iPhone 3GS so adding another one won't convince me to uprgade. I'm on Orange and full signal most the time anyway so the areial is not an issue and since I use it as a phone with the occasional game and web browsing, battery isn't too much of an issue either and I get the new mulit-tasking OS for free so... whats the point in this revision? wait a higher res screen and glossy so its even easyer to scratch and make look dirty.

No Apple, i'm happy with my iPhone 3GS thanks :)

I still want an SD slot! I know that I can get a 32 Gig MicroSD for less than $100. And that makes transfer's to my PC a whole lot easier than dealing with iToones and trying to work around silly iToones limitations. So, thanks but no thanks Apple. Nice screen BTW, but that's about the only thing I was excited with.

flannelwarrior said:
Not looking forward to all the fanboy pretentiousness about iPhone 4.
Android is still better. HTC droid incredible is still better.

Why do people need to keep reassuring themselves that their phone is better?
Just go and enjoy your phone and stop posting these comments, both HTC and iPhone are great phones.....

All I can say is that the Nokia N8 will kick ***

.....but HTC and android is damn good as well.

Symbian going totally open source as well is looking good. Best OS's stands between Symbian and Android in my book.

Not impressed apple, still as outdated as previous iPhones. and totally locked down in standard STASI Apple style.

Sure a good screen, but otherwise what else? ,
if you dont want touchscreen there is nothing useful you can do with the iPhone that I cant do in my age old Nokia N95, and have been doing for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back