Apple intros Magic Trackpad, updates iMac and Mac Pro

Jos

Staff

Putting an end to weeks of speculation, Apple today released an update to the iMac line while also introducing what it calls the Magic Trackpad, a wireless multi-touch surface that brings MacBook-like gestures to the desktop.

The new iMac all-in-ones sport the same cosmetic design as their predecessors, but they now support Intel's latest dual-core i3 and i5 processors, as well as quad-core i5 and i7s. They also come with discrete ATI Radeon HD for graphics, and if you buy the higher end 27-inch model, there's the option of including a 256GB SSD as your primary or secondary drive. Base prices for the new models -- including a Core i3 or Core i5 processor, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4000 or 5000 graphics and either a 500GB or 1TB hard drive -- range from $1199 to $1999.

As for the Magic Trackpad, the device is an external surface featuring a smooth glass and aluminum design that basically looks like a bigger version of the trackpad on the MacBook. It connects to a Mac using Bluetooth and enables things like pinch to zoom, two-finger scrolls, rotating an image with fingertips, three-finger swiping back and forth between web pages, and four-finger Exposé triggers. The Magic Trackpad can be configured for single or two button commands and supports tap-to-click as well as a physical click. The mouse replacement (or companion) costs $69 and is shipping now.

Last but not least, Apple also unveiled a new 27-inch LED Cinema Display which will be available in September at a suggested retail price of $999, updated Mac Pro desktops with support for up to twelve cores using a pair of hexa-core Xeons, and introduced a AA battery charger for $29 -- yes, you read that right.

Permalink to story.

Great - I just got 120 x 22" C2D iMacs at work - not that I could've waited for some new ones to ship, but it would've been nice if they released these last month.

Wow... SSDs and HDDs together! Who would have thought this possible?
5750 graphics cards - what an absolute beast of a machine, and for only $3000!
Where can I sign up?

Seriousl though, how to Apple get away with selling these trashboxes...

This is ridiculous.

And what about the charger? Like, seriously Apple?

All laptops have trackpad's and they sucks. Mouse technology is waay better than this.

Can't say I'll ever find myself interested in an external trackpad, I still wish notebooks used trackballs.

SNGX1275 said:
All laptops have trackpad's and they sucks. Mouse technology is waay better than this.

And multitouch type stuff on any PC trackpad I've ever used has sucked. Try the multitouch stuff on a Mac laptop.

My bro has a Brand New (i mean its 2 days old) Mac Book Pro and your right they are way better than what windows can dish out but track pads are crap! end of story. I mean, this is taking a step back not forward to encourage your users to buy a trackpad for your DESKTOP.

Apple users will one day be jealous of all windows users using a mouse. man will it be funny watching people try to play an FPS with one of these.

MacBook Pro you said

how about the colors?
ive see many complaints about the "true colors" - achieved by dithering of low quality led pix.

say something plz - thanx in advance

This is obviously just another accessory for Mactards to feel like they NEED. A lot of Mac users don't know jack about computers (same can obviously be said about PC users, of course) but want the flashiest, most stylish, and newest Apple toys. This can be proven by looking at iPad sales. No one needs an iPad. Trackpad is to mouse as iPad is to netbook, in my opinion

This is obviously just another accessory for Mactards to feel like they NEED. A lot of Mac users don't know jack about computers (same can obviously be said about PC users, of course) but want the flashiest, most stylish, and newest Apple toys. This can be proven by looking at iPad sales. No one needs an iPad. Trackpad is to mouse as iPad is to netbook, in my opinion

Back