Apple: iOS 5 brings wireless syncing, over 200 new features

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Apple unveiled its next major mobile operating system update today. Due this fall, iOS 5 will drastically change the way notifications are handled with the addition of a Notification Center. Instead of issuing individual prompts, the service will aggregate alerts, allowing you to view new text messages, voice mails and other updates in one location. You'll also be able to address alerts by launching their associated app from within the Notification Center or at the lock screen.

Users will find it easier to maintain iOS 5 devices as Apple aims to sever the tie between iOS products and PCs. Currently, users have to connect their iOS product to a machine running iTunes to update the device's operating system, but iOS 5 will be able to perform over-the-air updates. Likewise, new customers will be able to activate their devices without a computer, and the iPod, iPhone or iPad will be able to sync with iTunes via Wi-Fi -- a long demanded feature.

Apple also plans to introduce iMessage, a new message application that can send text, photo, and video messages. The service will be exclusive to iOS users, work over 3G and Wi-Fi, and will serve as an alternative to traditional text messaging -- not unlike RIM's BlackBerry Messenger service. Besides the typical SMS/MMS functionality, iMessage will offer delivery receipts, read receipts, user typing indications, and of course, it will use the new Notification Center.

The next iteration of iOS will further support digital publishing with the addition of an iBooks-like app that handles magazine subscriptions. New magazine issues will automatically download so you can access them later without a connection. Additionally, mobile Safari will receive the desktop's "Reader" functionality, which lets you access Web content in a clean format, sans site navigation, advertisements and other elements that might be unnecessary or otherwise distracting.

Folks with hectic schedules will appreciate the new Reminders app, which allows you to store to-do lists, set time and location-specific notifications, and sync data with iCal on the Mac and Outlook on Windows. Apple claims iOS 5 will bring over 200 new features, and frankly, there's simply too much to cover in a single post. You can expect updates for the Camera, Mail, Game Center, Weather, and FaceTime, apps, a new iPad music app, new gestures and tons more.

Permalink to story.

I like their new totally original pulldown menu. It's a brilliant concept and I'm surprised nobody ever thought of it before.

/maximum sarcasm

Hmm, where have I seen this notification bar before?

Edit: Dammit Princeton, you beat me to it.

This and os x video is nothing more than a neverending lie. Is it legal to put out there statements like that? It's all a one big ripoff from Google and Microsoft, everything was previously possible with Android and/or WP7. Somehow I can see Steve instructing his employees to copy on the go the idea of split keyboard :p

Princeton said:
I like their new totally original pulldown menu. It's a brilliant concept and I'm surprised nobody ever thought of it before.

/maximum sarcasm

Its called precognitive plagiarism, ergo, Android copied Apple.

Hmm, looks like someone's been taking notes from android, I can't believe they can get away with saying that iOS is ahead of the competition when pretty much all features are lifted from either android,wp7 or rim. Its weird because I kind of expected the iphone to have something as simple as a notifications bar already, seems I was wrong.

Correct me if im wrong but doesnt android pretty much do everything they mentioned in the video already. Its a shame that most people will think these new features were created by Apple

I like how they said that their OS was years ahead of the competition already and that this update with "New" features puts them in further ahead, classic Apple. Keep herding them in Steve, that's what them iSheep love to hear

Yeah except Android copied off of the SPB Shell for Windows Mobile which was made in 2007. It had moveable widgets and everything. Every company copies off of each other, Android is no different.

Guest said:
Yeah except Android copied off of the SPB Shell for Windows Mobile which was made in 2007. It had moveable widgets and everything. Every company copies off of each other, Android is no different.
true, but android does it better.

"true, but android does it better."

If only it didn't take half a century to get the Android updates for my device. At least Apple updates get to Apple devices and don't use up the battery charge like toilet paper in a Mexican restaurant.

Guest said:
Everyone copies, in fact i will concede that Android is probably the most proficient at doing it. Its really just a cycle, anything you can do i can do better, which is good for us end users, the more they compete with each other the better products they produce. I prefer to avoid Apple when possible so Android is a great fit for me :)

Very good Point guest above Zeci's comment :D

Well to be honest I totally forgot about SPB shell, I used it on my Omnia i900 (although it made it a little slower) but it was a nice application/shell for WinMO.

"true, but android does it better."

If only it didn't take half a century to get the Android updates for my device. At least Apple updates get to Apple devices and don't use up the battery charge like toilet paper in a Mexican restaurant.

But that isn't androids fault, that is either your phone makers fault, or your carriers fault. Your phone maker has to custom tailor each release to EACH individual phone that they have, seeing that all devices have different hardware, and furthermore your lovely service provider has to approve the update and rip all the features out that they want you to pay for!

Now apple has the advantage of only working with a FEW devices hardware wise so they can push out updates extremely fast.

My advice: the hacking scene is way ahead of the retail market, flash your phone with a custom rom, it will improve battery life. and you get the updates way sooner, my phone is running 2.3 while stock users are still on 2.2, I have all functionalties of my phone including wireless tether, not to mention the ability to overclock my proc so apps that didn't run now run smooth as silk.

They said in the keynote that it was something they had taken from Android.

I'll have to look deeper into that tehbanz. Thanks.

Because Apple controls the entire platform they have this advantage. But I like having the option to more easily mod my stuff. I guess Apple users can jailbreak but then Apple is always on their tail about it.

I would have to say it's not the new features that set iphone apart it's the speed and user friendly enviorment. "It's so easy a caveman could do it." lol The qoute is from geico so I dnt get in trouble for saying it...

Guest said:
I would have to say it's not the new features that set iphone apart it's the speed and user friendly enviorment. "It's so easy a caveman could do it." lol The qoute is from geico so I dnt get in trouble for saying it...
I agree, btw not an apple fanboy, very much opposed actually, but i will concede that Apples UI and overall usability is allot more smoother and user friendly. Though I will say that in terms of speed, it really that depends on the phone model as well as the OS build when it comes to Android

wow, i'm without words, i didnt know iOS5 was such a comprehensive OS. Apple really surprised me once again. I loved all the new features!! Apple again making tough for the competition.

i'm a 2 day iPhone 4 32GB prepaid owner and i can't wait for iMessage.

Oh god i'm an iPhone owner :|

yes i agree this is a big copy of some of the android features but more or less android copied of the ios of iphones a long time ago, remember when iphone first came out, and now all the androids come out tyring to do the same things. the technologies has been here for years to make phones like this but the ideals and money wasn't there, till steve jobs came up with new ideals, marketing, and money when get got back in the company he created 15 some years ago, but too wrongs don't make a right i would expect something thats is custom and new for apple like yea all the so called new features have been available in cydia too for years but they see its what the people wnat so they gave it to the and siri been in apple store for years too and all the people who paid and or downloaded it off the internet and used it now can't access there servers because apple claimed and bought it off the developer or w.e happen but now it don't connect to its original server, but any ways who copyed who first, i say android swung the first swipe, but apple shouldn't steal and throw a different theme on something they didn't truly think up. but hey is it fair android created a hole phone like the iphone, market concept and everything??? nope not right .. i bet deep in the hole Microsoft owns google and apple lmao. and they make ,money plainly off the contraversity. i would.

Back