Apple iPhone 14 reveal set for September 7

Polycount

Staff
Highly anticipated: Apple launches a new iPhone model every year, rain or shine, and 2022 will be no different. According to new reports, Apple has started sending out press invites for its next big iPhone announcement event, and with those invites comes a date: September 7, just two short weeks from today. The Cupertino tech giant is planning to get things rolling at 10am Pacific.

Aside from the iPhone 14 and its variants, we don't know what else Apple will reveal at its September event. However, even if the company sticks to its major hardware reveals, there will still be plenty to talk about. Over the past year, the rumor mill has given us bits and pieces of iPhone 14 and iOS 16-related info to chew on. Back in June, we reported that the iPhone 14 is likely to ship with four different variants: two "Pro" models (potentially called "Max") and two non-Pro models.

The iPhone Pro/Max models are reportedly codenamed D73 and D74, whereas the non-Pro models carry the behind-the-scenes monikers D27 and D28. In terms of specs, it's too early to get into the details, but rumors point toward at least one of the non-Pro models shipping with a 6.7-inch screen.

Peeking under the hood, we're likely to see the non-Pro iPhone 14s ship with the older A15 chip, while the Pro variants will come with the A16. On the feature side, we've seen mounting evidence to suggest that the iPhone 14 models -- at least some of them -- could launch with 'always-on' screen tech that can continue displaying even while your device is in sleep mode.

This tech has existed among many competing phones for years, so it's a bit of a surprise that it has taken Apple this long to produce its own version.

Unfortunately, those hoping the iPhone 14 line-up will finally be the one to make the jump to USB-C will likely remain disappointed come September 7. Prior reports suggest the first USB-C iPhones are launching in 2023, though those could be false.

In terms of other features, we don't know much else about the iPhone 14, but fortunately we won't have to wait long to see what else Apple has up its sleeve. As always, we'll cover the latest announcements as they come, so watch this space when September 7 finally rolls around.

Permalink to story.

A15 is still mostly faster than anything Qualcomm has to offer, so no need for A16 in non-pro models. Eye watering prices for the pro models incoming though and I wonder how many iTards will immediately dump their 13 pro for a 14 pro.

Another pointless upgrade to a device that has been more than capable of doing everything you might want it to do for 5 years. I wish somebody like Framework would get into the phone space and put Apple down. The lengths they go to in order to stop you repairing their devices is disgusting.

A15 is still mostly faster than anything Qualcomm has to offer, so no need for A16 in non-pro models. Eye watering prices for the pro models incoming though and I wonder how many iTards will immediately dump their 13 pro for a 14 pro.
I love my Apple products. MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, and Apple Watch in my service right now and many more in my past. But why would I dump my 12 Pro Max when it does everything I need it to do and is still smooth as butter? I honestly suspect this one will last until I break it and with the current state of the economy, buying stuff just because it’s new, shiny and comes with an Apple sticker is off the table.

I love my Apple products. MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, and Apple Watch in my service right now and many more in my past. But why would I dump my 12 Pro Max when it does everything I need it to do and is still smooth as butter? I honestly suspect this one will last until I break it and with the current state of the economy, buying stuff just because it’s new, shiny and comes with an Apple sticker is off the table.
There are plenty of users still on iphone 11s, those are going on 3 years old now. iphone X and XR users, hell my grandmother is still on a 6s and my father a 7.
Another pointless upgrade to a device that has been more than capable of doing everything you might want it to do for 5 years. I wish somebody like Framework would get into the phone space and put Apple down. The lengths they go to in order to stop you repairing their devices is disgusting.
Apples phones, to their credit, will repair your phones despite their age. My grandmother just got her iphone 6s plus battery replaced, despite it being a 6 year old phone. $40. Apple was very easy to work with for scheduling.

Now try that with a 6 year old android phone at discount phone x screen repair bonanza and see how easy it is to get a genuine part. Apple can be dicks, but their service is a cut above the android world.

as very easy to work with for
There are plenty of users still on iphone 11s, those are going on 3 years old now. iphone X and XR users, hell my grandmother is still on a 6s and my father a 7.
Apples phones, to their credit, will repair your phones despite their age. My grandmother just got her iphone 6s plus battery replaced, despite it being a 6 year old phone. $40. Apple was very easy to work with for scheduling.

Now try that with a 6 year old android phone at discount phone x screen repair bonanza and see how easy it is to get a genuine part. Apple can be dicks, but their service is a cut above the android world.
They will repair things for you at a price, but you cannot replace anything yourself. I know this is an industry-wide issue but they are past-masters of denying you access to your own equipment.

Have a search for Apple and 'Right to Repair Bill' to see the lengths and expense they are willing to go to in order to deny users the right to buy simple cheap spare parts and have access to schematics etc to allow simple issues in devices to be fixed by approved repair shops. Fortunately after years of fighting, they lost and it looks like things may be about to change. But Tim Cook has proven time and again that he has no social or environmental conscience and focuses solely on making as much money as he can, so we will see how far this goes...

They will repair things for you at a price, but you cannot replace anything yourself. I know this is an industry-wide issue but they are past-masters of denying you access to your own equipment.

Have a search for Apple and 'Right to Repair Bill' to see the lengths and expense they are willing to go to in order to deny users the right to buy simple cheap spare parts and have access to schematics etc to allow simple issues in devices to be fixed by approved repair shops. Fortunately after years of fighting, they lost and it looks like things may be about to change. But Tim Cook has proven time and again that he has no social or environmental conscience and focuses solely on making as much money as he can, so we will see how far this goes...
I am well aware of apple's efforts to prevent repair. I never said apple was great to work with. I said, with PHONES, they are great to work with. And they are, because in the android world you have no official repair facilities and finding official parts is an utter nightmare.

Nobody with half a brain ever thought a CEO believed any of the social messages that drop out of their mouths like hairballs.

On the enviroment, how easily can you find parts for 6 year old samsung phones? How about motorola? Are the scematics readily available? My experience has been "Good Luck Arsehole!". Yeah, you can find "open source" phones with easily replaced parts. They suck. They barely work, their battery life is total garbage, and their specs make moto E phones look good. Not the greatest alternative.

Back