Apple is already testing M3 chip with 12 CPU cores and 18 GPU cores

nanoguy

Staff member
In context: Weak demand for consumer electronics has seen MacBook sales drop almost 40 percent in recent months. Apple needs to revive its Mac business, and the recent surge in rumors around M3 silicon development suggests the company isn't planning to slow down the release cadence for new products.

Back in March, we learned that Apple was working on new 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Air models as well as a new entry-level MacBook Pro. These would come equipped with a new M3 chipset built on TSMC's 3nm process technology for up to 15 percent more performance and 30 percent lower power draw.

The base M3 chipset is expected to debut before the end of this year, though Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports that Apple may delay launching the new Macs by a few months. The Cupertino company is said to have booked 90 percent of TSMC's 3nm capacity this year for making A17 and M3 chipsets, but the yields are still low at the moment.

According to the most recent estimates, TSMC has been able to achieve a yield rate of around 55 percent for its N3 node, which is pretty good for this stage of development but not satisfactory for mass production. The base M3 die size is expected to be around 135 to 150 sq mm, meaning there are around 450 dies per wafer, and almost half of them are discarded due to defects. Right now, Apple is only willing to pay between $16,000 and $17,000 per wafer, so TSMC aims to improve yields by around five percent every three months.

Gurman says Apple is also testing an M3 Pro prototype with 12 CPU cores, 18 GPU cores, and 36 gigabytes of RAM. For reference, the M2 Pro maxed out at 10 CPU cores, 16 GPU cores, and only 32 gigabytes of RAM. We expect the same increases to apply to the M3 Max and M3 Ultra, but Apple will likely wait for TSMC to perfect its N3E node before it starts trial production of those two variants.

Meanwhile, the company is reportedly still on track to launch the long-rumored 15-inch MacBook Air with an M2 chip at WWDC in June. It's also possible we'll get the first glimpse at the mysterious AR/VR headset that Apple CEO Tim Cook can't wait to show off despite objections from the design team.

Permalink to story.

Gurman says Apple is also testing an M3 Pro prototype with 12 CPU cores, 18 GPU cores, and 36 gigabytes of RAM. For reference, the M2 Pro maxed out at 10 CPU cores, 16 GPU cores, and only 32 gigabytes of RAM
I'm confused. What does the size of RAM have to do with it? It has no relevance to the CPU characteristics here.

Interesting. So when they sell M2 Pro laptops with 96GB of RAM, they install extra 64GB on the board? This seems rather an odd solution.

No that'd be the M2 Max with up to 96GB of on-package memory. There's no support for adding more memory on the boards.

Interesting. So when they sell M2 Pro laptops with 96GB of RAM, they install extra 64GB on the board? This seems rather an odd solution.
M2 Pro has two DRAM modules, with up to 32GB in total; M2 Max has four, for up to 96GB.

Eventually, when they make chips powerful enough to play games on medium, a lot more people would choose Apple laptops. Having apple style power saving and a gaming machine all in one is a great choice.

Eventually, when they make chips powerful enough to play games on medium, a lot more people would choose Apple laptops. Having apple style power saving and a gaming machine all in one is a great choice.
Eventually reasonable price devices will be made on these and slightly larger - without the Apple tax or apple constraints - you get what we give you
For handholds - apple doesn't have a competitor like Value's or Nintendo.
Android , Linux and windows will provide plenty of options - no need ever for Apple - with it's silly game prices - Steam better on Linux or Windows.
As for battery - just use a bigger one - A dead apple battery on it's on Apple laptops means no laptop - as power runs through battery controller - so very expensive repair

If I want a gaming machine I would never by an Apple unless just an Ipad with Apple Tax for price of games - struggle to play the 1000s of great flash games - Emulators think you need developer mode could be wrong - so not super easy as android

But yes - it's powerful and could be a great game device - don't trust Apple to free you - or close something off from you

Eventually reasonable price devices will be made on these and slightly larger - without the Apple tax or apple constraints - you get what we give you
For handholds - apple doesn't have a competitor like Value's or Nintendo.
Android , Linux and windows will provide plenty of options - no need ever for Apple - with it's silly game prices - Steam better on Linux or Windows.
As for battery - just use a bigger one - A dead apple battery on it's on Apple laptops means no laptop - as power runs through battery controller - so very expensive repair

If I want a gaming machine I would never by an Apple unless just an Ipad with Apple Tax for price of games - struggle to play the 1000s of great flash games - Emulators think you need developer mode could be wrong - so not super easy as android

But yes - it's powerful and could be a great game device - don't trust Apple to free you - or close something off from you
Apple is thin efficient and their chip does not get nearly as hot as nvidia or amd mobile gpus.
For people like me it means a lot. It is a lot because I would be able to work and play on device that is lighter longer lasting and cooler.
A lot of people are checking out these videos on YT. They wanna now if Apple laptops can be used for gaming in addition to doing other things.
I know for a fact, people will get these for gaming when Apple makes chips powerful enough to get 60 fps in most games.

Apple is thin efficient and their chip does not get nearly as hot as nvidia or amd mobile gpus.
For people like me it means a lot. It is a lot because I would be able to work and play on device that is lighter longer lasting and cooler.
A lot of people are checking out these videos on YT. They wanna now if Apple laptops can be used for gaming in addition to doing other things.
I know for a fact, people will get these for gaming when Apple makes chips powerful enough to get 60 fps in most games.
I'm definitely anti-apple - but they make good chips - 60fps at say 1080p will be achievable in coming years - not just by Apple - have high hopes for AMD APUs etc .
My take is you will get gaming on your Apple laptop in spite of Apple - ie the effort of independants to bring Steam compatibility etc - that is helped by Apples compatibility improvements for productivity apps for major players.
But as I say - don't trust Apple to limit compatibility - it's not an open platform - MS, Google may give you warnings if mucking around too much - but will let you carry on

as for excess heat - just having it on a more efficient node is one of the factors that will come to nearly everyone if you wait a year or 2
The other problem with Apple is they are control freaks - you want VR in gaming and not just watching content - use their expensive as yet to be released VR
Not sure compatibility for twin shooter joysticks , driving wheels etc

The other thing is they will compete with handhelds and dedicated gaming laptops

But yes games would look great in HDR on apple screens - and though anti-apple I wish their laptop users can get the gaming machine they want

Plus as a benefit it will increase market for great games for everyone - that are not just AAA - ie well designed games - that can be put on tablets, handhelds, fablet phones . laptops
eg see sales of latest Zelda - graphics are not everything .
These chips will make there way to TVs/Rokus etc - it's enviable if in 5 years add a $40 chip to play say 1080 at 30-60 -- upscaled to 4K- plus gives snappier OS

Back