Apple is forecasting a monster holiday quarter

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple on Thursday turned in yet another solid quarter of earnings. For the three-month period ending September 30, Apple generated $52.6 billion in revenue, an increase of 12 percent compared to the same period a year ago.

Quarterly profit checked in at $10.7 billion, or $2.07 per diluted share – a 24 percent increase year-over-year.

For the quarter, Apple sold 46.7 million iPhones, up from the 41 million sold in the previous quarter and the 45.5 million it sold in the year-ago period. Sales of the iPad slipped slightly compared to last quarter, from 11.4 million to 10.3 million, but were still better than the 9.3 million sold last year. Mac sales jumped up to 5.4 million units, besting the 4.3 million units sold last quarter and the 4.9 million units sold a year ago.

Looking at the full fiscal year, we see that Apple generated $229.2 billion in revenue with a net profit of $48.4 billion. For comparison, Apple in the previous year generated $215.6 billion in revenue and a profit of $45.7 billion.

For the upcoming quarter, Apple is forecasting revenue of between $84 billion and $87 billion with a gross margin between 38 percent and 38.5 percent. Most observers, however, will likely be curious to see how many iPhones the company moves during the holiday season. Sales of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus have reportedly been low but could be evened out by demand for the iPhone X.

Permalink to story.

.. the new iPhones are still quality products - and they prove it every year by selling in the tens of millions...
the amount something sells and whether or not it is a quality product are not correlated. After all I remember when Pet Rocks were the rage. Yes, plain old rocks, $15 million worth in 6 months before the fad died and those were 1970's dollars.

Really? Still griping over your headset jack? Get over it... the new iPhones are still quality products - and they prove it every year by selling in the tens of millions...
Pretty much everyone who defends Apple for removing a neccessary feature just says "get over it". Really makes them seem like absolute snobs, they just agree with anything Apple throws at them without question.

Pretty much everyone who defends Apple for removing a neccessary feature just says "get over it". Really makes them seem like absolute snobs, they just agree with anything Apple throws at them without question.

"Necessary" feature... hmm.... almost 50 million iPhones sold this quarter - most of them containing NO HEADPHONE JACK.... clearly not very necessary...

I understand people are peeved - You'll notice other companies have already followed suit.... 3.5mm is all but dead... Bluetooth is the way to go.... if you're an audiophile, you shouldn't be concerned about the music coming from your phone anyways - you should be using something with higher quality sound - MAYBE 1% of the population can tell the difference listening to an MP3/AAC song from an iPhone over wireless or wired headphones...

This isn't snobbery... it's reality... the masses have spoken - and it's OVERWHELMINGLY not to support 3.5mm - tech sites like this notwithstanding :)

"Necessary" feature... hmm.... almost 50 million iPhones sold this quarter - most of them containing NO HEADPHONE JACK.... clearly not very necessary...

This isn't snobbery... it's reality... the masses have spoken - and it's OVERWHELMINGLY not to support 3.5mm - tech sites like this notwithstanding :)
The masses haven't spoken, they just followed what Apple told them, you made my point.

The masses haven't spoken, they just followed what Apple told them, you made my point.
Really? So how about those people who bought the other smartphones without headphone jacks? Proved what point? That people living in the 60s want their port to stay current? That LPs are better than CDs or MP3s?

You can claim that the MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people are not "speaking" - that they're just doing what they're told.... well... people DO have the freedom to choose - there are plenty of phones being sold WITH headphone jacks (but not for long I'd wager!) - how many of those are being sold compared to "jack-less" phones?

Let me guess... you used to walk uphill to school both directions... and a mile was a lot longer when you were a kid....

Back